General Discussion Race Reports! » Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morden, Manitoba
Canada
Winnipeg IronCops
21C / 70F
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 14m 25s
Overall Rank = 75/80
Age Group = W30-39
Age Group Rank = 7/8
Pre-race routine:

Set up transitions, nibble on most of a clif bar, sign in, body marking, couple trips to the toilet.
Event warmup:

Swam for about 5 minutes before it was time to get counted in for the start of the swim.
Swim
  • 47m 34s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

First lap was a little crowded. Stopped after I got punched in the back of the head and resumed swimming again after it got a little less crowded. I could tell by the end of the swim that I hadn't really done enough long distance OWS practices. Close to the swim time I had expected to do it in.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in training. Not stop as much when people are trying to swim over me.
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

I thought I was missing something when I was leaving T1 because I felt so naked without my wetsuit on!
Bike
  • 3h 46m 38s
  • 90 kms
  • 23.83 km/hr
Comments:

I thought there may be something wrong with the bike or with me because I was going so slowly on the way out... Feared a 4.5 hour bike time, which thankfully didn't happen. After the first turn-around (where the pirate girls' water station was) I managed to speed things up. On the first major downhill, I hit 60kmh and then heard a loud "Twang!" Feared the worst for a split second but then realized that the only thing wrong was my speedo no longer working. I guess the wind twisted the sensor around. At the top of the hill, at the next turn around station, I tried to quickly make the speedo work again. No dice right away, so I left it. The return ride through the valley was good. The headwind made the descents a little slower than I would have liked, but the big climb wasn't bad. I don't know what my top or bottom speeds were, but it was ok. The next few kms were tough against the wind, but then I got to the turn off back to town and I was cruising!
On the bike, I ate 1 clif bar which took forever to finish and was making me feel ill. I also took in 3 or 4 E-tabs and consumed 5 gels, which went down easily. Sipped occasionally on Heed, but mostly drank water.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Felt like I was moving quickly through T2.
What would you do differently?:

Not take a wrong turn and have to turn around to find the exit.
Run
  • 2h 34m 46s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 07m 20s  min/km
Comments:

First loop took me 1:12 and I thought I was on my way to my goal of 7hr finishing time. Second loop took me a lot longer as I walked quite a bit because I was so tired. Walked up all the hills and down the steep ones. Took in water at every aid station and ate 1.5 packages of sport beans.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped into the cold lake to rinse off and cool down. Had my first ever post-race massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and inexperience.

Event comments:

looking forward to doing this distance again. Turned out not to be as horribly difficult as I had feared. In order to do a full Ironman, I will have to do A LOT more training!! Especially on the bike, and the run, and the swim...

Last updated: 2007-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:34 | 1900 meters | 02m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 70/80
Performance: Average
Suit: Pipeline Nineteen
Course: Two laps on a triangular course, with a short run on the beach between laps.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:46:38 | 90 kms | 23.83 km/hr
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 68/80
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Out and back with a long trip down a side road. Rolling hills going up on the way out and against wind. Big valley on the side road portion.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:34:46 | 21.1 kms | 07m 20s  min/km
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 69/80
Course: 2 10.5k loops on a hilly course through town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-15 11:46 AM

User image

Regular
Kelowna
Subject: Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance

2007-07-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: #886360

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
Woo...Hoo First 1/2 Ironman completed even with a punch to the back of the head!

I'm glad to hear wasn't as bad of a distance as you thought.. When i read twang...and your speedo was gone....I thought you meant your bathing suit. LOL

Fantastic job! did you get to race this with a friend / companion or did you do it solo?

Either way....very nice job. I am sooooo PROUD of you & Happy for you!

You rock!
2007-07-15 2:49 PM

User image

Winnipeg
awesome race! i knew when i saw you on the run you were going to do great! HIGH FIVE!
2007-07-15 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Great Race...Very well done...sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you...I'm sure you passed me a few times on the run.
2007-07-16 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Good work! and I'll agree the 10K back to the #3 was hard with that headwind.

great work again! Next race we should have a BT meetup!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morden Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed