View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fremont, Nebraska
United States
Total Time = 1h 24m 59s
Overall Rank = bad/117
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Ate a PB&J sandwich at like 6:00 a.m. Yum! Also my husband and I both thought that the other one had grabbed the bike pump, but neither of us had. Luckily we were able to borrow one from a kind soul.
Event warmup:

Did a bit of jogging but that's about it
Run
  • 19m
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I started at the back of the pack, which is really the way I like it. Normally I pass people because they start too quickly and die later. But not today! There were a lot of great athletes there. Anyway just before the turnaround I got passed by two people, a woman and a man. The man was holding onto the woman's shoulder. He was blind. I got passed by a blind man!!! Besides the fact that it made me choke up and screwed up my breathing, it was really humbeling. Then we got to the water station and some probably 10 year old kid was doing it. There were two cups of water. So the lady and Mr. Blindy got the water. I waited for a minute but the kid was in no hurry to pour anymore water. So I ran to the turnaround, came back and got some water on the backside. Stinkin kids. So anyway. Came in basically at the back of the pack. Run time was about 19 minutes or maybe a little less, which is really great for me.
What would you do differently?:

Bring my own darn water!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 46m 30s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.48 mile/hr
Comments:

As I mentioned above, people were getting flat tires everywhere. I was afraid to take my eyes off the road for a second to snag a drink because I thought I was going to get a flat. No good! The first part of the bike I started with several people, but had either passed them or they passed me. By the turn around I was all alone. I couldn't see anyone ahead of me, which is sad considering it is a pretty flat course. I chugged along feeling like I was going super slow and feeling pretty bad about myself. But really this is a good time for my abilities.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to change a tire and bring tire change stuff! (as if I had any to bring ;) )
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 19m 30s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Okay by this time I was pooped. I mean, exhausted. I was feeling bad about myself, knew I was beating only about 5 people which SUCKS, and...yeah. Mentally I was trashed. Started the run feeling not that great, but knew I was keeping the pace that was on course with my abilities. I was thirsty because, as I mentioned before, i didn't drink anything on the bike because I was scared of taking my eyes off the road and getting a flat. So I was really looking forward to that water at the turn around. Only, guess what? THEY WERE OUT! NO WATER! I shrugged my shoulders and got on with my life, but once again I was already mentally trashed so not having the water I was looking forward to kind of sucked.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I performed great for myself. I did a duathlon a month or so ago with 2 miles less biking and finished in 1:23, so this was a pretty good time for me. It was kind of depressing that it was so great for me but so many other people were so much better than me. I was probably in the bottom 10% easily. But I really need to quit comparing myself to others, and compare myself to ME. And on that note, I had a great race. And also there were only 3 people in my age group so I got a pretty cool placer mug out of the deal. :)

Event comments:

Don't run out of water on the last mile of the course when it is like 85 degrees and we've been baking in the sun all day! Also, maybe run the street sweeper or something if you're going to have us riding on the highway shoulder with debris everywhere.

Last updated: 2007-07-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:00 | 02 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:46:30 | 12 miles | 15.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/117
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Very flat except for one kind of big hill. LOTS OF ROCKS! Flat tires in abundance!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal