Musselman Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Beginner
Age Group Rank = 18/25
Pre-race routine:

We stayed in a B&B in Geneva the night before- very nice. We got to the park about 8. Setup transition and got my chip and numbers written on me.

2 hrs before racetime - PB on a Bagel, milk
1 hr before - energy bar and fruit
no gel or drinks with caffeine this time- I am wondering if the caffeine is making my swim breathing be more difficult.
Event warmup:

I could have hopped in the lake or rode my bike but I before I knew it they were calling us to the pre-race meeting.
Swim
  • 14m 50s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

We started in thigh-deep water. I started on the far right to avoid any congestion since I was in the beginner wave. Once the horn started we had to walk about 20 yards before it was deep enough to start swimming.

I started out fairly well- no one was bumping into me and I tried to get into a good stroke rhythm. The wind was causing surface chop about 18" high and we were swimming directly into them. A few times a wave would break on me just as I was taking a breath and it would break my rhythm while I coughed it clear. To recover I would do the backstroke or the sidestroke because I wanted to keep moving.

About halfway out to the bouy I looked back and saw a few redcaps (beginner wave) being helped by the kayaks. Not a good sign! The buoy came up pretty quick- most of my attention was focused on avoiding swallowing the next wave of water. I rounded it and now the waves were pushing me towards shore!

I passed a couple of silver caps (wave before mine) holding up on a kayak and tried pulling as well as I could. We had to walk the last 75 yards to shore because the water was so shallow. I would have preferred to swim because the water was too tall to walk easily and the bottom was pretty rocky.
What would you do differently?:

Improve my freestyle stroke and do a better job of doing that stroke in open water instead of the back stroke. I felt a little less panicked during this swim. Possibly because I did not consume any gel that had caffeine in it before the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

At the race meeting I realized that I had my sunglasses still on my stupid face instead of in the Transition area. Since it was closed- I had my son station himself along the chute to hand them to me since I was planning on doing the whole race with my contacts. Don't tell the officials!!!

I knew which tree my row was and found my station pretty easily. I actually sat on the ground to get my wetsuit over my heels and put my socks/shoes on. It worked pretty well- I think I am going to do that from now on.

My jersey got stuck on my wet shoulders but after that I popped my helmet on and I was gone. Second fastest T1 time in my group!!! I had water bottles on my bike because I did not have my Camelback with me so that saved 15 seconds right there. Not taking my contacts out and putting on my glasses saves another 15 seconds. Putting my gloves on during the ride saved anotehr 15 seconds.... It all adds up!!

Not much- this was a pretty good T1
Bike
  • 56m 5s
  • 16.2 miles
  • 17.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a bad ride- I passed a bunch of people in my wave and the wave ahead of me on the first hill. It was a looong shallow climb along the lake of about 3 miles. Uneventful but several people were out front cheering us on. I popped a gel (2x caffeine- tangerine) as soon as I was on the bike and started chugging gatorade from one of my bottles.

At about the 5 mile mark we turned towards the lake and there was a nice downhill and then we turned along the lake heading back towards the park. Grapevines, grapevines, grapevines!!! I took a drink and dropped by bottle- stupid!! I left it there.

I was zipping along the last downhill by the park and I saw (I hope) a Brightroom photographer so I got into a good tuck and shut my mouth in the hopes of finally getting a good race picture of myself.

Coming off the road into the park we had to do a goofy S-turn across grass that was covered with fabric. Some moron in fron of me cut me off on the second curve and almost made me wipe out!

Improve my race cadence. Better anticipate the actions of morons.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Bike shoes off- running shoes on. Grabbed my hat and realized that I did not set out a bottle of water to carry on the run. Dumb!!

Still - the 2nd fastest T2 in my group!!

Have bottle of water ready. Consider biking with cages so I can ride in my running sneakers to cut down T2.
Run
  • 28m 26s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I saw lots of people on the way back as I was going out. I had set my Garmin to pace me at 29:00 so I could do a PR on this run. The run was ok but I was spazzing about not having water with me- probably to my detriment. I kept checking the Garmin and I seemed to be about 150' ahead of my pace before the aid station.

I grabbed water and dumped it on my head and took a quick drink. I saw that we would hit it again on the way back in so that made me feel better.

At the turn there were 2 guys banging on some drums to urge us on- nice.

On the way back and through the water station they were handing out Rasberry Hammer Gels- I grabbed 2 for my 'collection'!!

About 500 yds before the finish line I was 25' behind my race pace. I pushed it as well as I could and saw Renee and Tony just befre the finish line. Cowbells!!!

Nothing- except remember to bring water.
Post race
Warm down:

I poured 2 bottle of water on my head to cool down. I found Mike and everyone else.

Event comments:

A great time- if I am still doing this crazy stuff next year I will definately be back!!

Last updated: 2007-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:50 | 500 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/25
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Out and Back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:56:05 | 16.2 miles | 17.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/25
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Rolling Hills. Two long climbs and a bunch of smaller ones.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:26 | 03 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/25
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along the edge of the lake. completely flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes