United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 29m 56s
Overall Rank = 422/495
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/35
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Annandale the night before and checked in to the hotel. Saw Bryan (mndiver) and Kelly and talked with them some. Found some dinner and then settled in with my stack of useless magazines (People, Ok!, etc.) and my sole possession of the remote for some very valued quality alone time. :)

Next morning, got to the race site by about 6 am and got a great spot right on the end of one of the racks for wave 8. The problem was that all the racks for wave 8 were waaaaay in the back of the transition area. I was on rack 42, if that tells you anything. Anyway, got body marked, set up my spot, talked with Ben (benihana) and Kris (trigirlkris), Bryan, and Tom (Matchman) a bit, and fretted some more about the bike and run.
Event warmup:

Went for a good long warm up ride on my bike, probably about 30 minutes or so. I was sporting my brand new bikings shoes (purchased the day before from our beloved Autumn at County Cycles), and I wanted to make sure they were going to work ok. All was well, so I went back to the t area, got the wetsuit on and headed to the water. Swam maybe five minutes or so, and then went to wait for my wave to start.
Swim
  • 15m 21s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was fine, but could have been much better. I was trying not to go out too hard, and in hindsight, I think I held back too much, especially at the beginning. There were a lot of people in each wave, and it was really, really crowded when the horn went off. I usually try to plow through the crowd at the start, but was hesitant to do so today so I hung back a bit.

The middle of the swim was fine; crowded around the buoys, but nothing unusual there. Felt good on the long straight stretch coming back in to shore. I was navigating well, drafting a bit, and generally just swimming along. As I approached the shore, I thought, "No, I don't want the swim to be over! I don't want to get on the bike! I'm afraid of the run! Can't I just stay here and swim some more??" I was generally just being a baby, and probably caused myself to slow down. But, eventually my hand hit sand, and it was time to stand up and get on with it. :)
What would you do differently?:

Since this was my first longer-than-a-sprint race, it was all about trying to figure out pacing, and now I know that in highsight, I could have gone out faster at the start and been ok. And next time the fear of the rest of the race won't hold me back at the end either.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

3 minutes is a long time, but this transition really was fine overall. I took the time to put on socks (since my blister from Minneman is just now finally healing) so that added time, as did the long run from the rack to the bike exit.

Work on getting the new bike shoes on faster
Bike
  • 1h 13m 30s
  • 21 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, starting of with a request for opinions: I had some major frustration at the start of the bike as I dropped my damn water bottle (Yes, Autumn, the one I just bought!) no more than a half mile into it! (For those who rode the course, I dropped it before we even got on to Hwy 55!) CRAP! So my dilemma was, do I turn around and go pick it up, or do I go on without it. I knew I'd probably get an abandonment penalty if I left it, but on the other hand, at that point in the race, there had to be 100 cyclists on the same stretch of road since it was just barely outside of both transition areas. I made the decision that my turning around inthe midst of all those people in an attempt to get it would be more of a hazard than letting it roll to the side of the road, so I kept going without it. Both me and the guy next to me asked the voluteer nearby to please pick it up, so hopefully it didn't cause any crashes. So, my question to you all is, did I do the right thing?

Anyway, once I made the decision to keep going, my next thought was that it was going to be a looong 21 miles with nothing to drink. I was desperately hoping there would be a water stop on the bike course. (No such luck.)

Once I calmed down a bit an got going, I actually really, really liked this bike course. I was really surprised by that! There was one big hill, and then some smaller ones, but I felt good nearly the whole way. Right around 15 miles I started to get tired, which isn't surprising considering that is the distance of many of my training rides and all my previous races. I did have an accelerade gel with me so I ate that even though I didn't have any water to wash it down. It was evident by then that weren't going to be any water stops, so I just had to use what I had and hope for the best. Luckily, the gel went down without incident.

I got an energy boost from that and really just cruised along the rest of the way. There were a few times where I wanted to go faster, but I kept reminding myself--"You have five miles to run after this. Don't be stupid." So I just stayed with the plan--today was about pacing.

Not drop my water bottle. Otherwise, not a lot. I would have been happy with anyting over 16.5 mph, so to get 17.1 mph was really good for me. That's two races in a row now with a 17+ avg.
Transition 2
  • 02m 36s
Comments:

I felt like I was moving is slow motion for most of this transition. After the dismount, it felt like such a loooong way to run with bike shoes on! I eventually got to my rack, but it just seemed to take forever to get there. Then I quickly changed shoes, grabbed my visor and race number, and took off again for the same loooong run back out again.

Somehow commandeer a spot on a closer rack. Practice running with bike shoes on. In my defense, though, I was wear brand spanking new cleats that were very shiny (slick) and I was purposely trying to be very careful so that I didn't wipe out.
Run
  • 55m 28s
  • 5.3 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

So, Ben (benihana) previously described this run course as "pancake flat." Ben, you must eat some lumpy pancakes!! :) Actually, it wasn't too bad, but there were a few unwelcome climbs right in the middle of the course. I started off well and was averaging sub-10:00 for the first three miles, but then started to feel pretty worn out after that. This didn't really suprise me since I can count my number of 5+ mile training runs on one hand, and those weren't off a 21 mile bike ride.

But, overall I was pleased. Again, it was all about trying to figure out pacing, and making sure I could complete the distance. I had planned to walk through the water stops and even though a couple times early on I didn't really want to, I told myself to stick to the plan because I'd need that energy later. So I walked a few steps at each station, was sure to get a good drink in (rather than the sloppy dribble I get when I try to run through the stops), and made great use of those fabulous cold water sponges they were handing out. I was worried about my typical overheating, and did start to feel very very hot by the fourth mile, but the water of the head and sponges kept it under control.

Push harder at the end. I can never kick at the end like everyone else for some reason. Other than that, I stuck to the plan and was happy. I finished without feeling like I was going to drop dead, and that was the goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Sucked down a bunch of water, stood under the very cool mist showers they had, and talked with Steve, Bryan, Kris, and a few others. Some light stretching while waiting in the results receipt line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

General conditioning, but I'll keep working on it.

Event comments:

This is a very excellent race! Highly recommended! I've never done this race before, but I'm sure to do it again. I'm pleased overall with my first longer-than-a-sprint effort, and look forward (!) to my first full oly next month.

Great as always to see the BTers! Great job everyone!

Last updated: 2007-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:21 | 880 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/35
Overall: 149/495
Performance: Below average
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: Horseshoe shape, swam clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:30 | 21 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/35
Overall: 452/495
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A big loop--not sure of the roads other than first part being on Hwy 55. One big hill and several other smaller ones.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:36
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:28 | 05.3 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/35
Overall: 451/495
Performance: Average
Course: Loop around the lake. Some hills and precious little shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon

2007-07-16 2:15 PM
in reply to: #887883

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Heart of the Lakes Triathlon
Nice report and overall race.  It was a great day for a race.  Congrats
2007-07-16 2:34 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Great race, Kelly. Funny that you wanted to stay in the water. Most of us can't wait for that part to be done!

You're gonna do awesome in your first OLY next month. Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Tom 

2007-07-16 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

Great job with the longer race...hopefully this gave you a little insight to what your pacing should/can be like for your Oly in a month. 

And yes, I do enjoy lumpy pancakes!

2007-07-16 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Nice race, Kelly - good job!
2007-07-16 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

Nice job , Kelly!  Fast swim...man you a fast swimmer

I think you did the right thing with the water bottle, but that would have been frustrating. You are definately going to do great in your Oly.

Way to go, girl.

2007-07-16 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN
nie going.. and yes you made the right decision by not turning around... however, you made the wrong decision to buy a water bottle...  use old dasnai bottles if you ahve too... or something.. they practically give those things away.. and chucking it is 2nd nature ...
2007-07-16 6:39 PM

User image

Elite
Nice job out there Kelly.  It was nice talking to you out there.  It really was a nice course and a great venue.  I couldn't believe all the water stops they had on the run.  It's funny how something like hydration and nutrition can start to make you worry about your race for the day isn't it?
2007-07-16 8:01 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Nice job Kelli! Do you like the new shoes? Glad you took time to put socks on - your foot was a mess after going sockless!
2007-07-16 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

great job! that sucks about dropping your water bottle (brand new too!) but i think you did the right thing by leaving it... you might have caused a crash or been in one...

kudos for managing for the rest of the ride w/o it!

2007-07-16 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN

Great job, Kelly! I didn't realize this was your first "longer than sprint" race.  You raced it well and I can tell you learned a few things along the way! After I saw you on the bike & you said you lost your water bottle, I worried about you for the rest of the ride, and wondered what I would do in that situation.  The same thing, I think.  At one point, I passed a couple of volunteers who had their water bottles sitting by the side of the road.  I was secretly hoping you could grab one as you passed by.

2007-07-17 9:28 AM
in reply to: #888578

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Kelly - you did great!  You totally kept your head about you, which is impressive.  Now you have all of the information you need for the Oly.  If you ever want to meet up for a nice long weekend run, let me know  

2007-07-17 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
way to go! sounds like you were racing smart and didn't let small changes get you all worked up. congrats on the new distance! you rocked it
2007-07-18 10:10 AM

Good work Kelly. You did the right thing by not going back for the bottle. People are still getting settled in on the bike at that point and it would have been dangerous to be turning around.

Good luck at your oly!
2007-07-18 10:18 AM

User image

Expert

Excellent race Kelly. Fast swim even though you held back a little. Great bike even with the trouble you had with your water bottle. Plus you had an excellent run! It's really great to see you have such a good run when you have had to deal with an injury.

Getting your pacing right on  a race can be difficult, especially when the race is longer than your usual race.

I probably would have left my waterbottle also. The beginning of the bike is always congested enough, and trying to turn around or stop would have been difficult.

You are ready now for your Oly next month, and you still have time to get even more ready. You are really going to do well.

Congratulations on a great race!

Anthony

2007-07-18 10:21 AM

User image

New user
Good job on your race! Now that you've got a taste for the longer races, I'm sure you'll notice a lot of improvement in all areas, you just won't be able to help yourself!

As for the lost water bottle, I agree with everyone else that stopping/turning around to get it would have been a bad idea. You should only get a penalty for littering or abandonment if it's done on purpose (like if the course marshal sees you throw the thing) not if you fail to get it back in the cage and it drops out. Use cheapo water bottles with sport tops for races if you are worried about losing/dropping your bottles.

2007-07-18 2:07 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Congrats on your first sprint long course!  You did great!  I hear you on the bike shoes.  I only got one ride in before I used my new ones at Minneman.  The extra time putting on socks sure beats dealing with blisters for the rest of the week...

Ditto on the comments about leaving the swim leg.  Most of us are doing a happy dance once our hand hits the sand!

Right decision on the water bottle.  Good not to stop for safety's sake.  I seem to drop a water bottle about once every 3 rides or so, but have time to turn around and do the pickup.  I'm thinking about getting the hydration system that fits between the aero bars:  http://www.triathlonlab.com/TNi_AeroNet-p-16178.html  That way all you need to do is drink out of the straw.

Good luck at Northwoods next month...Turtleman will be my first Oly too...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Heart of the Lakes Triathlon Rss Feed