General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Young Newbie help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-23 7:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Young Newbie help
Hello, I joined this forum because my 11 year old daughter has just registered for her first Sprint Triathlon. She has done two youth triathlons and one aquathlon and is excited to do her fist sprint distance. Grandpa just bought her an awesome new bike, Specialized Dolce Elite, and she is ready to rack up some miles. She is also a competitve swimmer, training 5-6 days a week, 4000-5000 meters per session. She runs 2-3 miles 2-3 x week. I am concerned about overtraining, she would ride every day if I let her. This week, she rode 3-4 miles x 3. What would you suggest is a reasonable schedule for riding? Her race is in four weeks. I have looked at sprint training plans, but do to her high volume of swim training, I am not sure what would be appropriate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2004-01-23 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4694

Woodbury, NJ
Subject: RE: Young Newbie help
Welcome! Its sounds as if your young one can already complete a sprint distance. She wont have any problems with the swim. The bike and run portions maybe more of an adjustment for her then anything else. Mentally may be a different story. She might be hard on herself if she sees the older gals or guys going a little quicker. Although there is no doubt she will be passing some too(me if I were there). My sugesstion is to get her used the transitions of swim-bike, bike-run by doing them a few times before race day. Congratulations on having such a wonderfull and well motivated daughter! I only wish I was that way 2 years ago let alone at 11! WOW!
2004-01-23 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
She's 11, just let her ride and have fun. No speed work just riding. Focusing on swimming for now is a good idea. She's at least 15 to 20 years away from her peak years in triathlon. 35 is young for a woman in endurance sports. In swimming alot of the top national competitors are really young, like 15. Let her just do it. Let her run and bike when she wants to. 18 or 19 is the age to start training like pro. Then if you have those type of grand goals maybe by the time she is 24 she'll be there. 15, 16 is a good time to really start racing seriously in cycling and triathlon but I think it is too early to start emulating the top competitors.
2004-01-24 7:49 AM

, Alabama
As long as she is having fun, that's the main thing. Just need to monitor that she doesn't put too much pressure on herself with racing, especially if she already competes in swimming, or she'll burn out.

Sharon
2004-01-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4697

Extreme Veteran
dav222 - 2004-01-23 8:15 AM

Mentally may be a different story. She might be hard on herself if she sees the older gals or guys going a little quicker.

Thanks for your responses. I am not too worried about her being hard on herself. She has swam competitively since she was very young and is used to racing older, stronger and faster kids. She holds her own pretty well. This fall she swam on the Varsity team for high school season and was ok with getting beat by big kids. For her first sprint distance tri, we just want to see how she feels; we are not worried about her time or place. But I am worried about her overtraining. I guess I will just let her do as much as she wants, hopefully after the newness of the bike wears off, she will taper off on her own. And I will add some swim-bike and bike-runs before the race. Thanks for your help!
2004-01-24 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4788

User image

Champion
also, make sure that she has an 'ez week' once a month for a 60% decrease in training volume...maybe a week taper before the race in a month...although her batteries may seem to never need charging at this age...it def wouldnt hurt.

2004-01-24 3:02 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Everybody has given you some great suggestions, but I really have to go along with keeping it fun! Kids have enough pressure on them that we don't even realize, having fun in a sport can do the same for kids that it does for us. Great to have you here.
2004-01-25 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4812

Extreme Veteran
Michael - 2004-01-24 3:02 PM

Everybody has given you some great suggestions, but I really have to go along with keeping it fun! Kids have enough pressure on them that we don't even realize, having fun in a sport can do the same for kids that it does for us. Great to have you here.

Well, I have to admit, training for a tri is not my idea of fun. Fortunately, it seems to be for her. She is enjoying her bike, learning about switching gears an going fast. We got her a computer with cadence and her Dad set up the trainer in her room so she can work on it as the mood strikes her. Sure wish I could figure out how to make the internet bike-driven! She would really rack up the miles then. Thanks for the welcome.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Young Newbie help Rss Feed