Albany, New York, New York
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 2s
Overall Rank = 108/317
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Packed what I thought I would need or could need the night before. Put bike in the Xterra and went to bed early. Woke up at 5am, ate a bagel with PB, made sure I had everything and went to Guilderland YMCA.
Event warmup:

At the Y, found my swim heat (No. 6), dropped off my run gear and drove to pond. At pond, saw Matt; we then went to the bike transition, put our gear down and planned for the race. Stretched, coordinated cars (drove Matt back to Y so we'd have a car there & left Xterra at pond), and looked at the ominous pond. Matt: "I thought Janelle said the pond was full of muck and weeds?"; Earl: "Do you see all those fisherman and tackle boxes...next to the sign that says 'No swimming', yeah, that means good fishing. Just watch out for the lures!" About 15 minutes prior to start saw Marna, which was a GREAT surprise as she was supposed to work all day. She was able to watch me start, swim, run and then finish which was awesome since this was my first TRI. Stretched a little more and then got into the pond to start my first TRI.
Swim
  • 08m 23s
  • 325 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yozzers & Awful. Started out wading in the pond then at the start my "heat" (about 30 or so) took off all in a bunch. Had heard all the stories from the Ironmen/women about kicking, punching, scratching etc...which was true here, so I saw an opening in the middle and put all of my strength into getting there. Thus, swam (american crawl) with head up towards middle. Made it into the middle with minimal punching, but managed to swallow half the pond, which is why I now have a third arm (not the cleanest pond), which coincidentally should help my swimming next time. Got the first bouy, made the turn in the middle of the pack, then died. Thought cr&p! Switched to the backstroke (I was 3d all city in 6th grade!) and leisurely made my way to the shore, switching time to time to crawl/breast stroke to make sure I was going the right way...actually passed several people, but still I was darn tired when I got to the "shore". Went to get out the pond and then the fun began!
What would you do differently?:

swim more than 2x in 10 years.
Transition 1
  • 10m
Comments:

Got out of pond and didn't have my land legs...started wobbling and going back and forth and thought cr&p. Heard some lady say: "he can't walk". Actually, I could walk, just not straight. Heard Marna yelling "Earl", but couldn't formulate words, just kept thinking, remain calm, you're not heat exhausted or dehydrated, you're just not used to swimming. Wobbled gingerly up the bank to the bike. Thought, focus on one task at a time, thus, saw my feet were muddy, so I cleaned them off, then, one sock at a time, then one shoe at a time, then shirt. In between each task, felt much better and would give a look and wave to Marna to tell her I was ok...she was freaking out and ready to jump the barricade and see if I was alright. By the time I got to my helmet, I felt fine again, grabbed the bike and then walked to area where you could get on, got on bike and then felt a charlie horse in left calf...

swim more than 2x in 10 years and practice transition.
Bike
  • 43m 31s
  • 11.5 miles
  • 15.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Charliehorse went away after on bike for 2 or so minutes. Rode comfortably not pushing it or letting it down, except for one to take some swigs of the GU20 (thanks Weds). Felt good on the bike and the course was pretty good and the police officers were Great at directing traffic. I was amazed to see so many people out on the course cheering everyone on. It was quite different to be on the otherside...getting cheered.

Not much. Just bike more to build up speed and power.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

You were not allowed to run with bike. I was a little disappointed to see all the bikes already racked when I arrived, but knew that the run was my best and I would be able to finish, so I got a big smile, took a GU and set off to finish.

Practice transition.
Run
  • 22m 9s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Definately felt weird beginning the run as I've never practiced going straight from swim/bike to run, thus feet felt a little flat. However, quickly settled into a comfortable pace. I thought I was going at a 8 1/2 mile pace, but turned out a little different. The run felt GREAT! My pace and form felt like it clicked and it was AWESOME to see Marna at the beginning of the run and the finish as I came to the line. Kept the pace comfortable until the last 15 yards, then put a little hmmph into the end.

Maybe carry a water bottle or practice drinking from a cup.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged and kissed Marna, she quickly wiped off the salt and pond sludge! Then grabbed water, gatorade, quick cool down from the firehose and waited for Matt and Janelle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not swimming much.

Event comments:

Good volunteers, great police help, but very disorganized the day before and not much help in telling you the course description (website link always down). Overall it was a perfect way to race my first tri and I am very happy with finishing with Marna there.

Last updated: 2007-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:23 | 325 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 250/317
Performance: Bad
Suit: Spandex
Course: "L" Shaped; about ~25 yards out to bouy, then left for another 300 yards.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 10:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:43:31 | 11.5 miles | 15.86 mile/hr
Overall: 177/317
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:09 | 03.25 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 25/317
Performance: Good
Course: Through subdivisions...big hill at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-07-16 8:17 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY
Subject: Pine Bush Triathlon

2007-07-17 7:31 PM
in reply to: #888473

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: Pine Bush Triathlon
you rocked that run!!!! awesome job on your first tri. sounds like you pulled a "nate" with the swim and survived. Congrats and hopefully we will be on the same course some day soon!
2007-07-17 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Congrats on your first tri!!! And you did awesome!!!
To be able to 1) swim with little/no training and 2) run sub-7's off the bike is super!
Can't wait to race with you!
2007-07-18 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
awesome job pearl! so cool you did a triathlon.
that is a sick run. especially for keeping the pace comfortable and not doing any training bike/run bricks.
great race!
2007-07-18 2:24 PM

User image

Regular
West Hartford
Sweet pearlsky!! We'll sign you up for some Johnson swim clinics and you'll be dominating these things in no time, especially with those run splits... yikes!
2007-07-18 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
awesome race earl! i can't wait to see and weds race against each other.... it would be awesome to watch the two of you duel it out on the run...now that would be entertainment!!! that last 1/2mi would be intense!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pine Bush Triathlon Rss Feed