Team Magic
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 00m 16s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 30/55
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early. Ate half a bagel w/ peanut butter and drove to race site. I drank a boost 40 minutes before what was supposed to be the strat of the race and then a gu as I was in line to start.
Event warmup:

No warm up.
Swim
  • 37m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Oh, wow. So obviously I didn't have a good swim. Not even close. And I knew it the whole time I was swimming. I kept thinking where is this magic current everyone spoke of because I felt like I was swimming still. I struggled to really keep any sort form and well it showed. The water was really choppy and I just got more frustrated with time. I was getting passed by everyone out there and that was not a good feeling. Like in all my races thus far I just keep telling myself to make it out of the water and you'll be ready to race. I want to be racing from the start..I need help.
What would you do differently?:

Don't get frustrated because it only makes me swim slower or that's my excuse. I really don't know what I would have done differently but I know what I would like to do different and that's swim faster. But that isn't going to happen without some serious work.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

I felt pretty efficient here although I'm sure I could get this time down. I did have a little trouble getting my bike off the rack but nothing that was more than a few seconds.

Maybe try not to wear socks but I don't think I'm ready for that just yet.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 6s
  • 25.8 miles
  • 17.57 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went well..better than expected. I felt strong throughout the entire ride. The miles went by quickly. I really pushed it (for me) on the uphills and tried to keep a decent pace for as long as I could. Really this was a good ride and there's not much else to say about it, which is unlike me :)

Not much other than try to push a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I could be better at racking my bike. Other than that same as T1..I'm sure I could improve just not top priority (given my heinus swim time)

Nothing that I can think of.
Run
  • 51m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

The run seemed a little long..the miles didn't come as fast as on the bike but really it was a decent run. Especially since I had to pee the entire time. I really need to work on that. I gave my run a good effort but had I known how close I was to breaking 3 hours I definitely could have given it just a little more. It got super hot and sunny on my way back in and I was so glad to get to the arctic zone for one of those cold wet towels. The rest of the run really was all about getting back so I could pee. I thought about stopping a bunch but I'm glad I didn't.

Push harder in the between miles (2-4) Not settle into a more comfortable pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. A beer and hanging out with friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My attitude. I get so frustrated in the water that when I come out it takes me a little while to get back into WANTING to race. I had a hard time on this swim and it made me feel like why was I even doing this because I suck so bad (at the swim) Stupid I know. I realize that is a self defeating attitude and I won't be a debbie downer. Just need to work on my swim.

Event comments:

The race was great. The only complaint is it not starting on time and pushing my start time back to 9am which is really late for an oly. I will definitely do this race again. Hopefully next year the current will be a bit stronger. :)

Last updated: 2007-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:49 | 1640 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Point to point in the TN River. The water was definitely choppy..and not just a little. This may be exaggerated due to my serious lack of swim ability but nevertheless I felt like I was being slapped in the face the entire swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:28:06 | 25.8 miles | 17.57 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Basically out and back on a highway through the Mountains. A difficult course with long stretches of uphills and downhills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:36 | 06.21 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Course: Out and back along the Riverfront. Very nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-17 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-17 2:11 PM
in reply to: #889523

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
It sounds like you and I both needed an attitude adjustment on this course! Great job on a tough course and DANG you can run! I think I remember seeing you flying by me on the run, no wonder it looked like you were going fast. Great job!
My Race Log
2007-07-17 2:42 PM

Great race, espcially on the run. I was wondering what happened to the current the entire race too. I was 5 minutes slower this year on the swim from last years race. Great race.
My Training LogMy Race Log
2007-07-17 2:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Good job on your race. I'm sorry you didn't quite break the 3 hour mark, but you still did awesome, especially considering you were coming down with a cold. I've run too many tris having to pee the entire run... it sucks but you still had a great run. You've got to learn to pee while riding, that way your nice and "fresh" for the run.
My Race Log
2007-07-17 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Great race Aimster! Season one is turning out better than I think you ever expected. Get that swim squared away, and you will be a force to be rekoned with. Your run time is excellent. Keep up the great training. Also, just pee on the damn bike. I'm sure Frankie won't mind.
My Race Log
2007-07-17 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Gold member
Great job out there on a difficult course
My Race Log

2007-07-17 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Great job in Chattanooga- you looked very strong when I saw you on the run.  Don't worry about your swim, just keep at it and it'll get easier!! 
My Race Log
2007-07-18 3:02 PM

User image

wow! 3 hours! you have come a long way amy in a very short time. talk about natural talent!
My Race Log
2007-07-18 3:02 PM

User image

wow! 3 hours! you have come a long way amy in a very short time. talk about natural talent!
My Race Log
2007-07-18 4:14 PM

Regular
Bangalore, Karnataka
I hear you about the 3 hr mark ! I was lucky to somehow just get under it and through the entire sucky bike ride i kept telling myself 'faster faster.. need to get under 3'

One question though - when i look at your splits they look quite close to mine - your run is faster and bike and swim slightly slower - but no way are those adding up to 3hr 16min? Am I reading something wrong ?

You ran a great race and no need to psyche yourself out in the beginning.. i am planning to really work on my swim now as i have started feeling comfortable about the bike and run..

Avinash
My Race Log
2007-07-18 10:27 PM

User image

Austell, GA

Great race report, your flying on the run. The swim will come with more practice.

OHHH, PEE on Frankie....he won't care.

My Race Log

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed