General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Special Athena/Clydesdale racing Issues Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-19 12:55 PM
in reply to: #890402

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Special Athena/Clydesdale racing Issues

Going fast downhill is a time thing. As just previously said, you just build onto it. The only time I'll do over 60 is on straigth away's and actually feel good in the aero bar.

If you are new to aero, just push your rear end toward the back of the saddle, place your-self down on the bars, and just go for it. Practice on relatively straigth courses, then build on waivy one. I still hold my hand on the hadlebar/brake lever when going through a waivy course. Just in case, also always use both brakes, placing a little more on the front but very carefully. like 55/45 i.e. F/B.

Guess I must of lost it when i was younger surfing big waves in Todos Santos and Maui as a kid. That really built a trust with mother ocean and the big waves. Guess then all does down hills ust get easier.

2007-07-19 1:10 PM
in reply to: #892933

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-07-19 1:15 PM

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks on that warning for brake riding. Never tought about it before. Will have to investigate on it next time I ride up in Red Rock Canyon scenic loop.
2007-07-19 1:21 PM
in reply to: #892983

Sensei
Sin City
devouahy - 2007-07-19 11:15 AM

Thanks on that warning for brake riding. Never tought about it before. Will have to investigate on it next time I ride up in Red Rock Canyon scenic loop.

From Vegas area? Me too... I do the Red Rock Loop all the time. The big hill up to the overlook is a bear, but the down hill on the back side is worth it! You can get some speed on that for sure. I just wish that parking area wasn't at the bottom with the limit of 15mpg (or so) I could easily be doing 50 through that.... I just don't want a car to pull out and clobber me....
2007-07-19 4:47 PM

Kennesaw, GA.
My biggest race issue is being 255 lbs. Everything else, stems from that. If I was say 200 lbs, I would be able to swim faster, run farther and climb swifter. I guess I should just loose weight.
2007-07-19 4:53 PM

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Being 255lbs is not a problem at all. When I did HIM California in March of this year, I was 278lbs, and finished it in 7hrs24min. I may of fast walked/jogged the run portion, but finished anyway. This sport is about finishing for us, nothing else.

If you set your goals for higher, great, but for now, just enjoy all the great friends you meet and get connected with. That's what this is all about. Creating new friends while playing in the water/bike/run.

As you train, your weight will come off, just balance your in/out calories, and keep roughly 500 less per day. Adjust as to how the muscles feel also ie. protein intake for muscle healing.

2007-07-19 4:57 PM
in reply to: #890693

Champion
Butler
maggyruth - 2007-07-18 7:04 AM
KathyG - 2007-07-17 11:33 PM

Biggest issue to start was to be brave enough to do one not being thin and pretty out of shape....you guys are all brave.....

The one thing I dislike about Athena is you can have a 6 foot women with 12% body fat competing against me and she is 22 and I'm 45. We debate this a lot....are athena/clydes fair categories? Then some areas of the country do 40+ and 39 & under which I like obviously.

Ok, I'm probably going to be really unpopular for saying this, and I'm sorry in advance. Isn't the 6 ft tall woman w/ 12% body fat (who will never be able to get below 150 lbs no matter what she does, yet still has other speed issues to hurdle such as gravity shifts) and the 6'5" man who will never weigh less then 200lbs until he's dead the main reasons these catergories were invented?  What I guess I'm saying is, please don't be mad at these people...they're why we have the catergories to begin with.

I agree 100% with your comment and that is basically what I said earlier.  Heck at 6'7" 205 am I cheating by racing clyde.  Heck no.  I qualify there fore I race.  It is not a height, weight, bf% category, age  - it is by weight only.  Alot of people complain about this and as Kathy mentioned some races break it down by weight and Age.  I think it will start getting ridiculous if they keep going.  Someone in another thread actually said there was going to be a category by height, not sure if this is true or not, but come on.  Why should I be punished for being built athletically.  For the people who complain what should the cutoff be for actually racing clyde/athena if you are over 200lbs, say 40 yrs old, 225, 5'6" and 25% BF.  Sorry for the rant.
2007-07-19 4:58 PM

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
The scale said 293 and I got a him in 4 days. yes the weight makes it tough. Losing it would really help but its not everything. training is very important.

Also the real desire to push yourself too. its not always easy when your exhausted to keep pushing youself.
2007-07-19 5:16 PM
in reply to: #893508

Sensei
Sin City
kproudfoot - 2007-07-19 2:57 PM

maggyruth - 2007-07-18 7:04 AM
KathyG - 2007-07-17 11:33 PM

Biggest issue to start was to be brave enough to do one not being thin and pretty out of shape....you guys are all brave.....

The one thing I dislike about Athena is you can have a 6 foot women with 12% body fat competing against me and she is 22 and I'm 45. We debate this a lot....are athena/clydes fair categories? Then some areas of the country do 40+ and 39 & under which I like obviously.

Ok, I'm probably going to be really unpopular for saying this, and I'm sorry in advance. Isn't the 6 ft tall woman w/ 12% body fat (who will never be able to get below 150 lbs no matter what she does, yet still has other speed issues to hurdle such as gravity shifts) and the 6'5" man who will never weigh less then 200lbs until he's dead the main reasons these catergories were invented?  What I guess I'm saying is, please don't be mad at these people...they're why we have the catergories to begin with.

I agree 100% with your comment and that is basically what I said earlier.  Heck at 6'7" 205 am I cheating by racing clyde.  Heck no.  I qualify there fore I race.  It is not a height, weight, bf% category, age  - it is by weight only.  Alot of people complain about this and as Kathy mentioned some races break it down by weight and Age.  I think it will start getting ridiculous if they keep going.  Someone in another thread actually said there was going to be a category by height, not sure if this is true or not, but come on.  Why should I be punished for being built athletically.  For the people who complain what should the cutoff be for actually racing clyde/athena if you are over 200lbs, say 40 yrs old, 225, 5'6" and 25% BF.  Sorry for the rant.

I agree with you. The category is there, so use it. I also get tired of people wanting more or different division so they have a change to "win" or get awards. What about doing this for just the sake of doing it.

Something I wrote in another post.

"I have read other posts about having height divisions or body fat division, etc. Why don't we have a 6'8", 38 year old, over 200lb, who lives in Las Vegas, division - then I can win and "feel good" about myself." (my sarcasm)

No matter how they break out divisions/categories, someone is going to feel like it's not fair to them......
2007-07-19 5:19 PM

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
sometimes I wonder if the weight is too light but hey someone figure it out. I do like cylesdale for master and non masters. Though friend friend complains when it comes to IM he is too heavey for his a/g and too old for cylesdale even with a master division. sometimes you just can not win.
2007-07-19 5:57 PM
in reply to: #893527

Sensei
Sin City
chirunner134 - 2007-07-19 3:19 PM

sometimes you just can not win.

Everyone is not supposed to win, that's why it's a called a race and not a "fun run"

and to win, you got to get better......

But granted, it's a lot harder for some of us.

I'm sorry if I am upsetting anyone's sensibilities, I just LIKE to have a goal to strive for - it's my motivation. I just don't want divisions or categories created to make me "appear" better. You are going to lose to the same people and beat the same people whether the category is there or not.

Not to insult anyone - I will always be accepting of enyone elses thought or beliefs whether I agree or not. But for me, I think clydes/athena is a little like a "handout". It says we can't make it with the average triathlete. We need a "special" group to be recognized after the real athletes finish their race and we have a "big person" race.

I KNOW it's hard for us - it's hard for ME. I will NEVER win or place top 10 overall. But I can beat LOTS of people regardless of age, sex, or size.

I will race Clyde because it is there - if a race doesn't have that as an option, I'm just as happy to compete in AG. But I will NEVER ask for more divisions - if anything, reduce them. I personally think you should divide by ability level like most team sports...... Open, AA, A, B (to steal from volleyball).

2007-07-19 6:33 PM
in reply to: #893561

Champion
the colony texas

For my marathon this winter, i registered as a non-clyde.. the only reason was that I thought it would motivate me to lose weight to be close to that cut-off.. but I really don't see it happening. I think the only benefit to me racing in an AG [not cylde] division is when my friends log in to the race website to see how I did they can find my resutls easier since they know my age but not weight.

I'm impressed with the taller guys [6'6"] and up. since it's more wind resistance, I'm sure it's harder to find training clothing that fits properly and getting a bike..  I'm glad I'm 6'2" it's tall enough to be seen but doesn't really have an impact on me finding what I want/need.

While I'm joked to Kproundfoot (is it Ken??) in a couple of post's that he should only race Clyde in races that I'm not in so  I don't have to compete with him, if the cut-off is 200lbs and your over that. then there should be no guilt in racing in that division.   you earned it whether it is from height, genetics or like me a 3 candy bar a day habit 

2007-07-19 8:00 PM
in reply to: #893602

Champion
Butler
Gaarryy - 2007-07-19 6:33 PM

For my marathon this winter, i registered as a non-clyde.. the only reason was that I thought it would motivate me to lose weight to be close to that cut-off.. but I really don't see it happening. I think the only benefit to me racing in an AG [not cylde] division is when my friends log in to the race website to see how I did they can find my resutls easier since they know my age but not weight.

I'm impressed with the taller guys [6'6"] and up. since it's more wind resistance, I'm sure it's harder to find training clothing that fits properly and getting a bike..  I'm glad I'm 6'2" it's tall enough to be seen but doesn't really have an impact on me finding what I want/need.

While I'm joked to Kproundfoot (is it Ken??) in a couple of post's that he should only race Clyde in races that I'm not in so  I don't have to compete with him, if the cut-off is 200lbs and your over that. then there should be no guilt in racing in that division.   you earned it whether it is from height, genetics or like me a 3 candy bar a day habit 

Yep, its Ken.  I actually meet you at the metroplex sprint.  I definately knew you were only joking.  The funny thing is I sometimes race clyde sometimes AG, really no ryhme or reason. 

What's funny is that everyone assumes that if you are tall you immediately run super fast because you have long legs.  If that was the case why are all marathons little short skinny f---ers.

2007-07-19 9:02 PM
in reply to: #893561

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
akidoman I mean you can not win with the racers. I think Clyesdale division are good as long as they have enough people to jusify it. Its nice

I do agree there is always a fine line between inspiring people to race and improve and just give people award for being an award.

That is why I like races with a finisher medal. Typically they are hard enough that people do derserve them but people who win a division or put in that extra effort to win get there own award.

I wanted to but was not able to get the weight off but what I like about Chicago triathlon is there are enough divisions that everyone has a shot but does not mean the people still do not have to go out and beat alot of people to win.
2007-07-20 8:18 AM
in reply to: #893715

Champion
Butler

chirunner134 - 2007-07-19 9:02 PM akidoman I mean you can not win with the racers. I think Clyesdale division are good as long as they have enough people to jusify it. QUOTE]

That is a very good point.  Maybe they need to make clyde only an option if X % of people sign up for it.  That way you don't get 1st out of 1 person.  The races could just put a disclaimer that if we don't have 10% signup as clyde/athena you will be automatically put in AG.

2007-07-20 9:12 AM

Master
Millersville, MD

Speed is your friend on a bike - it wants to stay upright and moving forward...

I convinced myself of that long ago and love downhills...

Cornering with speed is scarier to me, but I have been working on that a lot recently.

2007-07-20 9:23 AM

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I been feeling my back tire sliding as I climb up a hill. That is scary.

There is a race I do they give out awards as a percentage of the people who sign up. They have like 6 divisions total.
2007-07-20 10:20 AM
in reply to: #893998

Sensei
Sin City
kproudfoot - 2007-07-20 6:18 AM

chirunner134 - 2007-07-19 9:02 PM akidoman I mean you can not win with the racers. I think Clyesdale division are good as long as they have enough people to jusify it. QUOTE]

That is a very good point.  Maybe they need to make clyde only an option if X % of people sign up for it.  That way you don't get 1st out of 1 person.  The races could just put a disclaimer that if we don't have 10% signup as clyde/athena you will be automatically put in AG.

I like that Idea!

Chirunner, sorry about the misunderstanding andI also have to say that I agree with you about the finishing medel too. I think it's a nice treat to get a little something. At least I can show it at work to proove I did it! It's a good conversation starter too!

Edited by Aikidoman 2007-07-20 10:21 AM
2007-07-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: #893503

devouahy - 2007-07-19 3:53 PM

This sport is about finishing for us, nothing else.

Exactly. I do tri's and other races to prove to myself that I can. I am 6'0" 285 with an Olympic this weekend. I will finish and have fun and it will be a great day.
2007-07-20 8:45 PM

New user
San Diego
When I started thinking about doing a Tri I didnt even know about the clydesdale/athena divisions. Im 6'4" 240 lbs and hope to get down to around 225...with my body type I just wont be able to weigh much less. I know Im not going out there to win. I have just started getting back in shape and now I want to find out what the limits are for my body. If by some off chance I were to win in the clydesdale division it would just be icing on the cake of finishing the race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Special Athena/Clydesdale racing Issues Rss Feed  

of 2