Chattanooga, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic
Total Time = 2h 57m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 112/142
Pre-race routine:

We had driven over the previous day so didnt have to get up at my typical unearthly hours when I drive up to my races - woke up before 5, ate a PBJ, had some milk and got ready.. Kissed the wifey and off i went (she was going to come by much later, i had warned her there would be enough time before her husband finished...)
Reached the site and realized i had very little time to get onto the bus for swim start - didnt set up very well and was a bit all over the place... was feeling a bit nervous about the distance- it was my first Oly...
Event warmup:

didnt really warm-up.. with my speed the beginning of the swim is like a warm-up. Waited around for the swim to start and caught up with people from my tri-club..

Swim
  • 34m 15s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

We had to wait a while before we started and then stand in queue. it felt kindof funny coz all the races i have done so far are wave starts (where i hang around at the back).
This was a really long distance for me - i dont think i have done 1500 met even in training and felt really really long.. i broke my rhythm too often to look and check - with my speed there was no way i could draft.. All and sundry were passing me left, right and dead on top too (got a really nasty blow to the back of the head from one swimmer, that hurt and stopped me for a second).. Like I said, being 151 of 1200 was not a great idea for a slow swimmer like me
What would you do differently?:

More swim training - i really think i should get a swim coach to help me coz now i have been putting some time in the pool (tho not very scientifically) and know that you benefit more from technique than pure practice in swimming..
Also, sight a little lesser and just keep going..
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

So i run into T1 and look down and realize that my preparation was terrible.. my bike shoes were still sitting there strapped !!! was a bit irritated with myself and got everything together as quick as i could and ran out with the bike...

spend 5 more minutes in transition putting everything together and rechecking - this was my fourth triathlon and i have kindof started taking it easy thinking i know it all !!!
Bike
  • 1h 26m 28s
  • 25 miles
  • 17.35 mile/hr
Comments:

i got on the bike and started pumping... my assumption was that a highway meant flat roads and i would do a good average today... right after getting on to the highway there was this really really long hill... it was crazy.. now i consider myself reasonably adequate in terms of hill riding (thats all i practice anyways) but the length of the climbs were quite painful - it just wouldnt end - all along i was telling myself looking at the other side - oh well when i am on the return loop i will be flying downhill.
The other thing i really enjoyed was that i was able to see the elite field returning from the bike section while i was in the beginning - was cool to see these guys flying in the aero position on some really cool bikes..
Had also just started wondering as to where the women were when i started being passed by some really strong (and might i add, hot) female athletes... its kindof frustrating that you are doing your best up a hill and then some people just pass you like you are standing on the side of the road and they are still aero !!
i reached teh turnaround point and then the wind hit - it was quite frustrating and i probly havent faced much wind before when i have biked coz i found it quite a pain...
I tried to ride in the drops almost the entire distance and that was a good achievement for me...

i was playing leap-frog with this guy for quite a while.. i would attack on the hills and overtake him and at some point later he would jump ahead.. this continued for quite a while but somehow i never got a chance to exchange a word with him... I really thought that somehow he kept the thing real for me as this distance was long for me in a race and i could have easily zoned out - and it helped that his pace was more in my range..
I dont even remember which one of us came into transition first, i think it was me but am not sure...

ride more and go longer more often to be truly able to race the whole distance...
Transition 2
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Got off and ran into transition. i think i took my sweet time on this one even stopping to drink some extra powerade before i started. plus i havent put Yankz on my new running shoes so had to tie my laces.
made a quick decision to leave my run cap as it was overcast and didnt look like the sun was going to shine through..

It would be nice to learn the flying dismount...
Run
  • 53m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Truly enjoyed the run.. due to my lack of practicing enough bricks i was expecting major problems when i started running but for some reason felt nothing - absolutely nothing.. started at a good pace and passed the first mile marker around 8.5 min and thats a good pace for me.. was passing a few people and that felt good for a change.
it was a very nice course and the weather was great exceptfor the humidity (which i can deal with though)..
It was great to pass my wife and son on the course just before the finish, Namita was struggling with the camera and trying to take pictures but i had forgotten to put the zoom lens on so i knew it wouldnt me much use.. Ved (my2 yr old) was very confused why his father was running away from him and wasnt too happy about that..
Before the race my goal time was 3.15 but my dream was really if i could do 3.00; half-way through the bike i had realized that 3.00 was possible and i was doing my best to make it happen.
So i kept looking at my watch and felt better and better about my chances.. by the last mile it was a done deal and was only worried about some cramping or other mishap to stop me.. and well, yes i did cramp but right before the finish chute with barely 100 meters to go.. and the cramp was on my thigh where i have never cramped before - i grinned and made it through the chute and went to the medical tent for some help with it.. they were great.

more run training and probably more planned training on the run. my run times seemed to have improved thanks to biking (losing a few pounds, better core strength etc) but not due to concentrated running work.
Post race
Warm down:

After stretching out the thigh until i felt better, i got something to eat and drink and went looking for my family who were further up on the course..
ate and drank, rested a bit and met up iwth the other PTC folks. then rushed back to shower and check out in time..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was truly a GREAT race for me, for my preparation and the increase in distance.. I truly think i gave it the best shot considering the circumstances.
Now i am driven to training based on heart-rate and also training properly overall.. i think the fitness increase has been great over the past 1 year that i could get to this level...
the only bummer is that even though i thought i ran the race of my life i am 112 of 140 or so in my AG.. what a tough Age Group !!!

Event comments:

Great race, great organization.. they even managed great weather..:-)
This is a must do race.

Last updated: 2007-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:15 | 1640 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/142
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Along the river, was really excited about the current helping me - kept telling myself that even if I turned over on my back and went to sleep, the current would get me there eventually.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:28 | 25 miles | 17.35 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: we were on a highway - now when i had read about this in the race details i had just assumed to myself -oh highway means its going to be flat cant be really hilly ! oh how wrong i was !!!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:23 | 06.21 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: I loved the run course, except for the steps in between..
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-07-18 1:34 PM

Regular
Bangalore, Karnataka
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2007-07-18 8:40 PM
in reply to: #891490

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Great job.
2007-07-19 1:21 PM
in reply to: #891490

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Great race. Congrats on going sub 3..that's awesome. My time is 3 hours and 16 seconds...16 stupid seconds heh. There's always the next one.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed