NYC Sports Commission
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 17s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 81/199
Pre-race routine:

4:00 am wake-up. Scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast with peanut butter and bananas, and a quart of gatorade before the race. 8:30 am start time. Transition area closed at 5:45 am.
Event warmup:

pretty laid back - watched the elites, a few friends in earlier age bracket waves, 20 minutes of stretching. No swim warm-up.
Swim
  • 19m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

the current downriver was almost category 1 rapids! Water was fairly warm, and visibility not too bad until the last 300 meters when it is as dark as mud! Fairly narrow swim lane made for a lot of contact throughout the mile. A great swim overall, though. For a non-swimmer, you've got to love the sub 20 minute time. Also did not take in too much Hudon River water - a big plus!
What would you do differently?:

to get the best of the current you want to stay on the right side of the swim lane. At several points I found myself drifting left towards the wall - need to practice finding a keeping in line with a mark.
Transition 1
  • 06m 41s
Comments:

Lots of room for improvement. struggled to get wetsuit off even after liberally applying Glide an KY Jelly on exterior. need to learn how to get into shoes on bike. Also might get a lighter wet suit. And need to practice!! Note : important to wash out your mouth with fresh water.

get into shoes on bike, less time taking wetsuit off
Bike
  • 1h 21m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.20 mile/hr
Comments:

There is a short yet fairly steep hill right out of the transition area, so make sure you are in a low gear on the small ring. Fairly strong headwind heading north on the WSH, and multiple, moderately pitched hills. Used small ring for 3 to 4 hills - it's important to keep your head up and make that decision early. Steepest hills were on the Mosholu Parkway heading out, and on the WSH right after exiting the Mosholu Parkway on the return. Need to exercise caution on the hairpin turn at the bottom of the WSH on59th Street, as well as just before entering T2. Make sure your water bottle cages are tight - lost bottles all over the road in both direction due to joints in the WSH. Overall road condition good.

Actually pretty happy with the ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Better than T1 - but room for improvement!

Practice!
Run
  • 53m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

My toughest component - but overall not bad. slowed to walk at three drinking stations - 2 accelerades and 1 water. great support from volunteers and well wishers - and much needed at this point. the finish is a trip - big crowds, photographers, tv cameras - and lots of well wishers. It's a great finish!

Keep working on the run!!
Post race
Warm down:

long walk from race finish to transition area - 2 miles or so. 20 minutes of stretching and 45 minutes of walking to retrieve bike and transition equipment.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

overall experience and preparation. This was my second tri, first olympic, so overall I was very happy, and know I can raise the bar in my next races. Practice transitions, better adhere to a specific training program, and join a running club to learn more about the sport.

Event comments:

I would rate it a 5, but for challenge of logistics in getting your equipment to and from transition area. Overall though - a terrific race and great experience. Get involved!

Last updated: 2007-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 73/199
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: full wet suit
Course: from 96th Street to 79th Street Boat Basin
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:55 | 24.85 miles | 18.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 80/199
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: up West Side Highway across Hudson River bridge to Mosholu Parkway, and u-turn at Gun Hill Road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:53:41 | 06.21 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 81/199
Performance: Average
Course: across 72nd street into Central Park, up to 110th Street, and looping back to finish at 72nd Street. 3 pretty challenging hills on the course, pretty good shade, 5 water/accelerade stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes