United States
79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 34s
Overall Rank = 143/340
Age Group = W 30-34
Age Group Rank = 32/71
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30, got dressed, put on suncreen, drank Instant Breakfast, and headed out. Picked up Teri and got to the race site somewhere around 5:40. I ate my slice of bread in the car and saved the banana for closer to the start time.

We parked in a garage near by and tried to pump up my tires. The valve stem on my rear tire broke off inside the pump and caused my tire to go flat, so we headed to the Richardson Bike Mart tent to get the tire changed. It is sooo nice to have those services so I don't have to worry about getting it done right on a race day.
Event warmup:

10 minute run with Teri followed by a 8 minute or so bike. The swim warmup didn't happen because the entry site didn't have a way to get back up!
Swim
  • 14m 9s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had a slow start. The girls in front of me just didn't seem to go after the horn blew. It was very rough bumping for the first 100 meters. I had my goggles bumped off for the first time. It took me two tries to get them adjusted back. I think I lost a good 30 seconds there. I seemed to be more out of breath than I had hoped for. Probably because of the week off. I seemed to need to breathe on every 2nd stroke instead of the 3rd I had planned. I felt like I made good progress and had good control of the water, though.
What would you do differently?:

start more to the side to avoid more jostling.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Long, long run from the swim. I got my watch registering the HR fairly well, but it seemed like more button pushes than I was expecting. Found bike well and got gear on quicky. Almost mis-latched helmet but got it fixed quickly.

nothing
Bike
  • 40m 47s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting into my pedals, and the mount line was crowded! I had a terrific bike, though. I pushed the whole way and averaged over 18mph, which exceeded my 17mph goal. I raced at 16mph on the course a couple months ago, so I was very happy with that.

I stayed in the aero bars well and really used those gears. I used the big gear in the front quite a bit too. I passed on turns, the u-turn, uphills and down. I also ended up trading places with one girl multiple times. I am not sure who was changing pace more to cause that, but it became amusing. I also got passed by an impressive 46 year old in bright lime coloring, and I kept her in sight for the rest of the race.

Watch pace to save more for the run, but if was fun to excel at one of the sports, nonetheless.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Just a normal T2. Almost ran the wrong way as the transition area had running on the opposite side of the racks from the bike in. Only a couple steps in the wrong direction though. Ran while putting on hat and race belt.

Run the right way.
Run
  • 37m 29s
  • 3.41 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

I loved having my new watch this time, but I couldn't seem to pick up the pace to match my goals. The first mile was off my desired pace but felt ok. That part of the course had some shade. The second mile was more in the sun and had some hills starting around 1.5 miles. At about 1.8, I was really feeling the heat and was fatigued. The next aid station seemed far down there, but I was so pleased to dump the cold water on my head and get a cold towell. I put the wet towell around my neck and ran with it there. My knee starting hurting close to 3 miles and on to the finish. It was very noticable. I watch some girls in my age group pass, but there was nothing left to give. A pack did pass me right at the finish, so I finally sprinted the last 5 yards and held one off and passed one back!!! At least one in my age group beat me at the line, though.

My HR was high the whole way. I need to find a way to be a better runner or I will not be able to be competitive or achive my lowly goal of 31 minutes for the run. Long courses don't help either. Maybe I need a running coach. I just don't seem to be improving.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around trying to find a bush in case I got sick. Found my family and friends and got some much-needed water. Knee was really hurting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, humidity, and natural ability.

Event comments:

Well organized, started on time. I liked the specific bike racking. You don't have to arrive as early, and everyone has enough room. All the courses were well-marked and thought out. People seemed to be having a good time, and there were some roving spectators cheering us on. I found it intersting there was a water hand-up on the bike. It was so short that it didn't seem worth the stop to me, but some may have found it wonderful. It was nice they offered it. One of the most enjoyable I have done all year. I also like the finisher's medals and technical T's.

They had ample food for the athletes, but it wasn't well placed. We didn't find it at first, but they had bagels, bananas, lots of drink varieties, and cinnamon rolls.

The awards were moved up and moved outside this year. That was nice. And it was great to see Teri win our age group!!

Last updated: 2007-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:09 | 500 meters | 02m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 32/71
Overall: 167/340
Performance: Average
new HRM doesn't measure in water, so I don't have this, but I think it was high. Looks like I came out of the water at 191, but that seems unusually high.
Suit: No Wet Suit
Course: Clockwise curve, but point-to-point. I think it was a little long as I know I didn't swim THAT slow, and all the other swimmers seemed to have longer times as well. There was the perfect number of buoys, and they seemed well-placed. The tall flags marking the finish were a nice touch as well. The ladders at the end seemed sufficient but were probably crowded at times. They didn't seem slippery, but the steps weren't very deep. I missed the first step on first attempt as the water was so murky. Lots of volunteers to help you out though. This course layout isn't as spectator friendly, but not too bad for that.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:47 | 12.43 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/71
Overall: 106/340
Performance: Good
Avg 187. Max 194. I was really pushing!
Wind: Little
Course: A course winding through Las Colinas roads with rolling hills. I am well-suited for this course. The one u-turn was a super wide one with a median too. Hazards were well-marked, but there seemed to be more since April. Probably because of all the rain we have had.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:29 | 03.41 miles | 10m  min/mile
Age Group: 34/71
Overall: 184/340
Performance: Below average
Max 196. Yikes! Avg 187, but I think it was higher as I forgot to turn my watch off and it recorded an extra five minutes. Polar software shows it to be an average of about 190. Lap data: Mile1 10:13 HR 188 CAD 85 Mile2 11:13 HR 188 CAD 82 Mile3 11:08 HR 190 CAD 82 Mile4 11:09 HR 192 CAD 79
Course: Run course was long. It was dead-on until mile 3, and then I know that wasn't .1 mile to the finish. It seemed it would never come. I was told my someone else they measured 3.33. My Polar software calculates it to be about 3.409 off of my footpod. The course went down Las Colinas Blvd, across 114, along a golf course, and then back across for the finish.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-22 4:37 PM

User image

Plano, TX
Subject: IronGirl Texas

2007-07-22 6:20 PM
in reply to: #895956

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: IronGirl Texas

hey congrats on the finish.

I am awaiting the publishing of the results.

2007-07-22 8:03 PM
in reply to: #896052

User image

Plano, TX
2007-07-23 6:39 AM

User image

Great Race, Beth. You really did push the bike!!! That was an excellent time!

Warmer water, like warmer weather, contributes to a higher HR. I managed to stay in my red zone the whole race pretty much with nearly the same run HR as you had (188/196)!

You might want to consider putting your goggles underneith your swim cap. It helps them stay on when you get kicked, and even with a real swift kick, you don't risk losing them entirely!

-Teri

2007-07-23 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Of course, I have to say it again -- congrats on a great race!
2007-07-24 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Hey great race!

Looks like you were in front of me the whole time so not sure I ever saw you.

You are dead on that it was more like a 1/4 mile to the end than .10!

-Jen

p/s Thanks for the comments on my rr too!

2007-07-24 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

Great race... If those are the same stair as the playtri earlier this year, I can see how it might be difficult to find the step to get out.

Plus you had a fast bike,, better than what you thought so kudo's to you there

2007-07-24 10:34 PM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

Hi

I printed out the application for the Beat the Heat Tri.

I'm going to check my budget and send it in soon.

I have never done a pool swim tri - so this will be interesting.

Thanks....

2007-07-28 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Great job. You had a fast bike and T2. Learning to pace yourself just comes with practice. Although, it is hard to tell yourself to slow down, on the bike, when you are passing so many people.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronGirl Texas Rss Feed