United States
5430 Sports Corp.
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 47s
Overall Rank = 396/1415
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 54/129
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 3:30, fixed myself the standard pancakes and eggs breakfast, loaded up the car and drove up to Boulder.
Event warmup:

Quick ride on the bike to make sure everything was working properly, then off to the swim area for a short warmup.
Swim
  • 28m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim start was the worst open water swim start I've ever experienced. Mostly my fault though as I think I started too far back. I never really had any space to myself except for maybe a 5 minute period when we were headed into the sun. Fortunately, I could use all those extra bodies as navigation tools, cuz I sure couldn't sight off of anything because of the sun. I swam over several people but nearly drowned a girl from the wave in front of us. Apparently, she was taking a break. All I saw was a swim suit and then a panicked face gasping for air. I stopped and made sure she was ok, then kept going.

Despite the difficulties, I never felt uncomfortable and the new wet suit performed flawlessly.
What would you do differently?:

Start more towards the front!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I think I can trim a bit of material off the bottom of my wet suit to make it easier to get off my heels. Would probably save me 15 seconds in transition.

Trim the ankles on my wet suit.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 39s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 19.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Once on the bike, it's a slight up-hill all the way to Old Stage. I had to really back off as my HR was hovering around 183. Once I calmed my HR down, I settled into a rhythm, but never felt strong. And I felt even weaker as guys in my AG seemed to pass me at ridiculous speeds. I just hoped that I would catch them on the climb up Old Stage. Sure enough, I caught many but not all of them. As I was climbing, I looked down into my bento box and remembered to start taking my Endurolytes.

Going down the back side of Old Stage was torture!! The 35 mph speed limit is completely unreasonable and there seemed to be a lot of people blowing by me even though my computer read 35 the whole time. Once through the speed zone, I dropped the hammer to take advantage of the rest of the down hill. I played cat & mouse w/ a couple guys that I know would eventually drop me, but it felt good to work the legs out. I finally started feeling a bit stronger, but still made sure to keep my HR in check.

Nothing. I didn't make my goal of averaging 20.4, but I'll take 19.9 on this course given my conditioning. It was still faster than last year. Obviously, I still need spend more time on the bike and a decent set of race wheels would be nice too.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

First I had a tough time finding my rack and then when I did, it damn near fell over as I racked my bike. I realized that the whole thing was about to fall over without my help so I had to unfold the rack a little bit and also be careful not to knock over the other two bikes that were already there.

I dunno - maybe just lay my bike on the ground and be done with it.
Run
  • 53m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

This is supposed to be strength for crying out loud!!! My run has sucked all year and this was no exception. Coming off the bike, my legs felt ok, I grabbed a gel on the way out which helped a bit and I just tried to get my legs to turn over. About a mile and a half Julia (juliapurr) caught me and gave me a hard time about running slow, so I picked it up and ran w/ her for a while. My calves and achilles were already angry w/ me, but surpisingly enough, speeding up seemed to help them. Then bad things started to happen. As I went to pop my last two Endurolytes into my mouth, I dropped both of them. In retrospect, I should have gone back and picked them up off the ground, because not long after that, my left quad started cramping and I had to let Julia go. From there on out, it felt like a death march. At the turnaround, I felt better knowing that I was heading back toward the finish line and even with my periodic walk breaks, I was catching some of my AG competitors. With 2 miles to go, I decided that I was done with the walking breaks. I found some people to pull me along and I just gutted it out. It ended up being one of my least favorite runs ever.

1. Go back for my Endurolytes. They've become invaluable.
2. Run training!!! and bricks!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Water, bananas, oranges, beer hang out w/ da crew.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and training.

Event comments:

The BoulderPeak is always a great race!!!

Last updated: 2007-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/129
Overall: 426/1415
Performance: Average
157 AVG HR
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction (long john)
Course: Horse shoe w/ the first let straight into the sun!!!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:26
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:18:39 | 26.1 miles | 19.91 mile/hr
Overall: 387/1415
155 AVG HR
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:26 | 06.21 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Overall: 503/1415
Performance: Bad
Course: Ugggghhhhhh!!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Boulder Peak Triathlon

2007-07-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: #897322

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Boulder Peak Triathlon
Sounds like it was an interesting swim, and I have never done a race where they told you to not go over a certain speed. And what are you talking about? Slow run? I would take that pace any day!!! BUT, I guess for you....the super runner....you feel it is slow. I think you did great all around!! Nothing to scoff at. OH, and how about having a few extra electrolyte pills so you don't have to go back and get them.  Just saying that might be easier.  Awesome job!
2007-07-23 2:09 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Way to flatten them females in the swim. What are you doing starting in the back of the wave. Get up front, man.  

I never heard of a bike section with a speed limit, not that I would be over it. ha.

Electrolytes eaten straight off the ground are perfectly acceptable in my book.

Good job gutting out the run.

2007-07-23 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Still looks like a good race to me. Isn't it amazing how different it is from one to the next? That's a scary story about the girl you swam over, but major kudos to you for making sure she was ok. Now she has a story to tell about being swam over..   Happens to all of us at one point or another.

How about mixing in some running intervals into the training. They hurt, but they help. Your run still looks good though, considering you walked and all.. heh. No walking next time.

Great job on your PR!

2007-07-23 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Good race in the ridiculous heat.  Sorry I missed you guys after the race.  We left pretty early to get the baby out of the sun and heat.
2007-07-23 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Great job.  I don't think one person out on that run will say they had a "great 10K".  The sun was brutal. 

2007-07-23 2:44 PM

User image

Master
Denver
I have a feeling some bricks, especially some in the heat would be a good idea before the Long Course. Those conditions took a toll on everyone so that's a pretty good time considering the suffering going on.
2007-07-23 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

Did anyone have a good race yesterday? Even though you know you can do better, I think you had a good race despite the hardships, and that's what it really is all about, right? When is a race not hard? When does everything go to plan, etc? There's always next year!!!

2007-07-23 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Nice work out there... You are an inspiration with you continued swim improvement! I need to get there too!
2007-07-23 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
4 minute faster is still something to be glad about! Sounds to me like you did great for a tough race.
2007-07-23 10:11 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Run difficulties aside, you still had a nice race. But didn't you learn your lesson on swim starts at the last race where I set the example of where not to start and you set the example of where to start?! The good news is that since the run is your strength, one bad run doesn't knock out your confidence.

2007-07-23 11:15 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Try not giving your endurolytes away either   SORRY I stole what ended up being your last 2.  Funny, but I asked for them because my quads were cramping...  Anyway, you did what you could do in the DAMNED heat.  I actually thought that was a good swim for you too!!  Give yourself at least a pat on the back for SOMETHING   Hope to see you out there at the long course too!

2007-07-25 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver CO
Good race given the weather!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boulder Peak Triathlon Rss Feed