General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 24m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up. Got dressed... ate a banana and a PBJ sandwich. DRANK DRANK DRANK Gatorade. Drank water. Drove to race venue with Chris' brother...following the Parkermobile.
Event warmup:

Very tiny swimmy. Very tiny.
Swim
  • 40m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought this was a decent swim for me. I was impressed with my straight swimming and my sighting... however my time does not reflect anything impressive... (for me, at least) was hoping to finish this in about 35-36 minutes. I don't know where I go wrong? Swam relatively hard the whole way... sighting was buoy to buoy. I caught some waves, but nothing exceptional.

Didn't drink as much lakewater as I did last year.

I did get a little flubbed up in the very beginning... I decided I was going to just start swimming, even though the water was VERY shallow... Turned out I started swimming too soon... I was scraping my fingers on the sand at the bottom... so I stood back up and started hopping/running further out... I think this maneuver wasted some time. I ran into the same types of trouble on the way back in.

The run from the swim exit to T1 is LONG. And SANDY. And I looked at my HRM as I was attempting to run it, and saw my HR jump to the high 160's. Too high for this early in the game. Decided I'd just walk (fast) the rest of the way in.

I had a hard time finding my "groove" in this swim... and that seems to be the theme of the whole day. Apparently I misplaced my mojo.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster? I don't know. I swim great in a pool. I won my AG at an OWS just last weekend. I don't know what my problem was. This was just about the same time as I had last year. Hmmmmpf. I don't know.

One redeeming thought... we all think the swim was longer this year than last. They had us start a bit further down the beach. So if my swim time is the SAME as last year, and the course is SLIGHTLY LONGER, well then I have to believe I'm SLIGHTLY FASTER. (!!!)
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

I thought this went relatively smoothly. I was a whole minute faster than last year. I did not wear socks on the bike, and I have tri shoes now, not road bike shoes, so there aren't as many buckles.

No gloves, either this year.

I don't know... Just be faster. (!!!)
Bike
  • 2h 46m 34s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.17 mile/hr
Comments:

Ahhhhh, silly silly me. This is where it all got away from me. I have a mediocre swim? I can handle it... I can make up time on the BIKE!!! Let's let 'er RIIIIIIIIIIIIP!

And I did. I rode like I was being chased by a hungry wild mountain lion. On steroids. I rode and rode and rode til my quads burned and I'd passed every person I sighted. I picked them off and passed them one by one like some sort of whacked out lunatic.

Of course, I was not able to eat or drink appropriately whilst carrying out said lunacy. And I realized I was overcooking my legs about an hour into it... but by that point I figured it wouldn't do me any good to slow down, the damage was already done, and maybe I could still post an impressive bike split and hang on for the run... I'd done it before... how bad could it be???

Unfortunately, I wasn't drinking as much as I should have been during this hammerfest. I think an aerobottle might do me good, as sometimes I'm just to engrossed to reach down and pick out the bottle and DRINK.

Nutritionally, I thought I was OK, but I think I came up a little short.

As I started the bike... I was wondering how far behind me Chris was...he passed me about 3 minutes in. Speedee!

Slow down a bit. I don't need to ride that fast. There's just no good reason... unless I can turn in that kind of bike and actually run afterwards.

I didn't know if I'd be able to run or not, I just figured the run would be hard. Turned out it was quite nearly impossible. I still had a regular blast on the bike, though... I do love to hammer. Perhaps I should take up stage racing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

I thought this was fine, but it turns out it was a little slow. I had some trouble finding my stuff because of the helicopter debacle.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 2h 52m 25s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Implosion. I couldn't run. It was like my feet were glued to the earth's surface. They wouldn't move forward for any measurable distance at any measurable speed. It was misery incarnated.

I was able to jog/run in increments of about 200 m. Then I'd have to walk a bit... then try it again... then walk a bit... I don't know how much I walked. Too much. By this point I was wishing I'd signed up for the Aquabike.

I actually stumbled on an uneven piece of the road... around mile 9. Thank God I didn't fall. I don't know if I would have been able to get back up. I was freaking tired. My legs hurt. Like the BONES in my legs hurt. And my feet hurt too. I hate my shoes. Who ever read what I said about Asics Gel Landreths in the "What Running Shoes do you Wear" thread... I take it all back. They sucked.

Not over do the bike. Keep a little somethin' somethin' in the tank for the last part of the race... you know... the run part.

And run more in training. Herein lies the conundrum. I was coming off an injury and increased my running very gradually so as not to get reinjured. So my run wound up a wee bit undertrained. Six of one half dozen of the other. I'd rather be undertrained that injured any day of the week. But in the time frame I had, it was nearly impossible to make that work right.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around... Saw Chris... saw my other pals Jana and IP... tried to keep from crying... discussed quitting triathlon... went to the lake and dunked the legs in... met up with Katie and Pete... chatted a bit with them...then ate lots of food with Chris and his Mom & Dad and brother. Hooked up with Jon and Jen in the food tent, too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim was tolerable. My bike was great. My run was a horrific slog. There's a balance in there that I need to strike. I knew my run would be uncomfortable anyway... I just had no business riding my bike like I didn't have to run afterwards. I got sucked out by some competitive guys... and the race was ON. I can't show off when I've got a half marathon to run immediately following.

And the lack of run training.

But, I have to say, my knee feels great. And that was the plan. I don't want to have to have ANY more surgery. So if it means undertraining the run a bit... well then that's OK.

Event comments:

My only gripe is that they ran out of food... We were discouraged and almost left for a restaurant... when more food appeared! Better planning was needed. It looked as though they went out and raided the local JEWEL.

I can't complain, though... I got plenty to eat. Some people left when they heard the food tent had run dry.

Last updated: 2007-04-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:46 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: QR sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Out to a buoy, turn right, go straight, out to another buoy, turn right, come on home!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:46:34 | 56 miles | 20.17 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A remarkably unfamiliar race route. I seriously thought it was different from last year... but others have assured me it's the same exact thing I rode last year. Last year was all cabbage and flat roads. This year I missed all the cabbage fields and I swear it seemed a bit hillier!??!?
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:52:25 | 13.1 miles | 13m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back x 2
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-23 10:49 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2007-07-23 11:03 PM
in reply to: #898301

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon
Nice job.  Yep, finding that balance between the bike and run paces is a tricky one.  Hope you decide to stick with tris.  Congrats.
2007-07-24 8:00 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Awesome bike split!  I can't even crank those kinds of speeds in a sprint race, much less over 56 miles of rolling hills!

And it seems like going too hard on the bike and suffering through the run was the theme of the day -- tons of people I talked to (me included) had exactly the same experience.  But - you made it through and NO KNEE PAIN!  Woohoo!!!!!

Great seeing you out there!  See you again at PP???

2007-07-24 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Heh. I agree with StartingtoTri. I'd love to ride that pace just once . . . at any distance, let alone for 56 freakin' miles. And the run was tough for everyone. For a decent day and flat course, I still can't figure out how it could be so tough for everyone, but it was. I think you did awesome.
2007-07-24 8:16 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Laura, Good race, even if you don't agree.  Very good swim and great bike.  The run is coming and you are smart to not push it.   No knee pain is HUGE!!!

And I vote for the aerobottle.  I will tell you that it is a huge help.  I know it sounds simple, but I used to do the same thing.  Grabbing the bottle below you seems like a task.  With the bottle in front, you have to drink.

Great job and great to see you out there.

And FWIW,  I muttered the same thing during my run about hating this silly sport.  The finish line seems to erase those thoughts pretty quickly.

2007-07-24 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Oh dear God, I have a 1/2 in September and now I'm freaking terrified. Yikes! I think I'll go run tomorrow

But in other news -- I mean, that WAS a really impressive bike split

2007-07-24 8:29 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Laura,

First of all, I had no idea you were  hurting so much.  I feel slightly guilty for giving you reason to hammer the bike with the whole "race within a race" stuff.  Sorry.  You were awesome.  As bad as this was, now that you have a little perspective, don't you feel like maybe it was a good learning experience for moving on?  You still pushed yourself to the limit and I think the most important thing to take away from this race is your knee is good.  The surgery worked!  That's fantastic.  Now you can move past the knee and really focus on run training.

Congrats on a great job!

2007-07-24 8:38 AM

Champion

OMG!!!!!  This sounds so much like a carbon copy of my race strategy.  Survive the swim, beat everyone into submission on the bike, and do the "Dead Man Walking" thing on the run.  Hey at least you survived, and I still think it's an awesome job to finish, no matter what you have to do.  That's the true spirit of a Triathlete!  Congrats on a super race!! 

2007-07-24 9:22 AM

User image

whizzz!!! Great job!! And such an great RR - you took me through it with you and had me rolling between the cabbage and the mountain lion on steroids. 

Regarding the race though - think about it this way - you pushed the swim and bike hard and found your new limits.  There is a lot to say about that; not everyone has the guts to really race through and push to those limits.  And, you hung on through the run and I am sure dealt with some mental demons on the run to.  So, this is a victory for you - you have found out how far you can push yourself - AND YOU WON!!

You're the best Whizzz! Congrats!

2007-07-24 9:25 AM

User image

over a barrier
Great bike split....you'll find the balance between bike and run pacing and they crush that PR....

I HOPE the swim was long....

2007-07-24 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
"Hey, let me tell you about my bike split Sunday..." I'll bet that's how a LOT of us are beginning our recaps to friends and family this week. Man, that run blew big monkey balls-- you're definitely not alone! Way to gut it out to the finish, though, and still turn in a very respectable time.

It was GREAT to meet you on Saturday (even if I was just one of your 1000's of adoring fans!) I'm already looking forward to doing it all again next year. GREAT JOB!

2007-07-24 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I wish I'd have seen you cross the line...although I heard your name and sent a mental cheer (too tired to actually yell, sorry.

Whizzz, your hungry mountain lions were after me too!  Girl, you can FLY on that bike!  It seems none of us had any sense on Sunday   STill, we learned from our experiences...um...right????????

I'll  see you at PP - shorter run after means we can legally hammer the bike.  Right?? right????

2007-07-24 10:05 AM
in reply to: #898598

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
hangloose - 2007-07-24 8:29 AM

Laura,

First of all, I had no idea you were  hurting so much.  I feel slightly guilty for giving you reason to hammer the bike with the whole "race within a race" stuff.  Sorry.  You were awesome.  As bad as this was, now that you have a little perspective, don't you feel like maybe it was a good learning experience for moving on?  You still pushed yourself to the limit and I think the most important thing to take away from this race is your knee is good.  The surgery worked!  That's fantastic.  Now you can move past the knee and really focus on run training.

Congrats on a great job!

It had very little to do with the race within the race... I was gunning for a fast bike split anyway. I just had no idea it would take so much out of me(!!!) Surprised

2007-07-24 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO

My Sister in Suffering.....Sounds like a craptacular run. But WOW, what a bike split.  At least you had ONE highlight from the day. I thought about you Sunday morning and said a little cheer for you in my head and hoped you were doing ok. But, alas, we were both on the pain train   I'll remember your race report when I do my 1/2 IM in three weeks. Talk about undertrained! Uh, yeah. That would be me.

2007-07-24 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Stunning bike split! Take it from a guy who took a conservative approach on the bike in his HIM (High Cliff) and still blew up on the run; going fast on the bike is more fun. Great job and very entertaining report.
2007-07-24 10:27 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Crazy fast bike there.....fluids and calories are GOOD!!  Hoepyou are feeling better about everything

2007-07-24 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Very good job Whizz! I feel your pain about undertraining due to injury, it sucks. Having been a runner for 20 years and dealing with this muscle strain in my stomach, I can't run the pace I want to. But like everyone else said, at least you did the race with very little or no knee pain, so that is a HUGE plus in my book.

You are such a speed demon on that bike of yours...I hope I get to be that fast once I buy the new bike next year...very inspiring!!

See you @ PP!!

P.S. Don't quit tri's...BT is such a nice group, I KNOW you would be so very missed!!

Edited by miami9296 2007-07-24 10:34 AM
2007-07-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: #898845

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

sue7013 - 2007-07-24 10:27 AM Crazy fast bike there.....fluids and calories are GOOD!!  Hoepyou are feeling better about everything

Yes, I feel tons better about everything. I'm not quitting triathlon, and I'm probably not going to become a stage racer. I am still going to run the marathon in October.

However, I am rethinking nutrition, getting different running shoes, and dialing back the bike.

Setting goals and not reaching them and then getting disappointed sort of sucks the fun out of this thing. I think next time, instead of setting time goals for myself, I'm just going to set the goal of DOING THE BEST I CAN. Kiss

2007-07-24 10:54 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Hmmmmm….messing up on the bike and having nothing for the run seems very familiar (rockman).  And it seems a recurring theme is SoR race reports.  I wonder how many people didn’t have the mental strength to see it through to the finish line.

We race the clock, we learn something new (from a good or bad experience), we reevaluate, we move forward.

Have fun at PP and in your marathon training.

Congrats on the finish and a BIG YEAH for the k-nees not hurting.

2007-07-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: #898866

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Thanks for your inspiration prior to my race, it helped me think about some stuff.
The swim - Never done anything like it before and KNOW that I have to get some serious time in the next 5 weeks or so before IMWI. I suck at swimming and know that once I get past it, everything else I can handle fine (running is what I used to do and can handle that pain).
TERRIFIC JOB with your swim and bike!!!
Cheers!
2007-07-24 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

what's that song, 2 out of 3 ain't bad?

but seriously - very impressive swim and bike and if the run needs work, well now you know where to put your focus. i think you have so much heart for gutting it out to the finish line!

congrats on the HIM!

2007-07-24 4:02 PM

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
I had a race plan but my bike started chanting faster, faster. Thats exactly what I did. It was fun on the bike but I forgot about my goal and paid on the run. Can't wait till next year!
2007-07-24 4:17 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
You've already heard it all before.  Add one more to your "biked fast, hated the run" fan club. 
2007-07-24 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Great RR - had me laughing.. cool the knee is good too... blow ups happen, glad to see you weren't down long about it...  on to PP!
2007-07-24 5:13 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
You RR sounds like my fist (Vineman Ironman 70.3) HIM from this weekend, although I wish my bike rocked as fast as yours! No clue what happened to me on the swim, my bike was good with a few issues, and the run was more a walk/shuffle along. Glad you are not giving up on tris!
Abbie
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 2