Thompson Rehabilitation Services
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6. Ate raisin bran, drank coffee. Babysitter came over and we left at 7. Took at least 40 minutes to get there.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Picked up race packet. Put number on bike Put together the cookie tray I brought. Went potty, and we were off at about 8.
Bike
  • 2h 27m
  • 32.55 miles
  • 13.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Went on the ride with Rob my hubby, and Ken (kenj). This was by far the longest, and most difficult ride I've ever been on. At mile 12 I began questioning what I was doing. There was just hill after hill. Some were short and steep, some were long and gradual. I'm sure some of you heard my screams as I went down some of the hills. And no, not from me actually screaming (although I felt like it), but from the brakes on my bike. They love to squeal!! Just ask kenj. You knew if I was behind you on a big hill or a stop sign!

There was one big hill I felt fairly comfortable going down carefree. I hit 44.6 mph. The other big down hills I didn't feel very comfortable with. There were stop signs with cars stopped thinking they might go, and driveways, and curves that I didn't know what was on the other side. If I had known the route I might have beat the 44.6 max speed ( I would have!).

At mile 9.5 my chain fell off. Thanks to kenj holding my bike up and Rob giving a tug here and there, I got it on without too much trouble. That was the only malfunction of the three of us.

We stopped for about 15 minutes at the aid station which was about the 1/2 way mark. I ate a banana and drank some water. Filled up my water bottle. Later on I had wished I had eaten a bit more, but I survived.

Ken and I would stop occasionally for Rob to catch up to us. Poor Rob. Aside from absolutely no "training" on a bike in years, he had borrowed Ken's 10-speed hybrid which slowed him down a bit. Even with those 2 obstacles, he did great, though, and ended it with a smile on his face!
What would you do differently?:

Need to train more!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and stretched. Drank an entire gatorade. There was a nice cookout afterwards that we were able to stay for for about 45-50 minutes. Had a yummy hamburger, pasta salad, bean salad, and cookies, of course! Talked with Dudley and Ken for awhile and a few other participants. It was very nice and laid back and fun!

Event comments:

A very organized but laid back event. Small numbers and no competitive feel made it enjoyable. It is a very tough course so it's a great training ride. There are spectacular views of mountains and lakes and countryside. A fantastic ride that kicked my ass! :) Dudley's an awesome RD and the volunteers were soooo nice!!!

Last updated: 2007-07-10 12:00 AM
Biking
02:27:00 | 32.55 miles | 13.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Left from Onanda Park in Canandaigua. Route took us through Bristol and along the lake. Beautiful views.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-28 12:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Ride for Independence

2007-07-28 3:34 PM
in reply to: #905128

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Ride for Independence
I enjoyed the ride today! You and Rob are great company.  We need to get out and ride some more this summer.  You are a better rider than you think!  And next year you are doing the whole enchilada!
2007-07-28 5:15 PM
in reply to: #905128

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Ride for Independence
Thanks Kam.  The people behind is what made it great.  Thanks for the cookies.  It is a tough course some day I'll do it.  I'm afraid Mike is going to drag me out to the long course soon.  Next year you should bring the kids and sitter to play in the park while you and Rob ride.  That's if Rob can move tomorrow.  The him well done!  Thanks for coming down and your support.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ride for Independence Rss Feed