General Discussion Triathlon Talk » after swimming...extreme congestion and sneezing! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2004-10-06 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Subject: after swimming...extreme congestion and sneezing!
almost everytime i swim, whether doing drills or distance i start sneezing continously starting at anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour afterwards. it continues through the day and through the night. if i take a nyquil before going to sleep it generally "does the trick" and i'm absolutely fine the next day, sinuses clear and all is well.

does anyone else get this or understand it?

2004-10-06 4:28 PM
in reply to: #69915

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: after swimming...extreme congestion and sneezing!
Allergy to chlorine?
2004-10-06 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
That would be my guess...allergy
2004-10-06 10:21 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I suffer from this because the pool water is dirty. When they drain and clean the pool it goes away.

Mike
2004-10-06 10:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
i thought allergy to chlorine as well, but this past summer it happened while doing open water swims in two different ponds, both of which are tested by the towns. there were a few random swims (in pools and open water) that i seemed to escape this, but i'd say 9 out of 10 times it occurs.
2004-10-07 12:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
i looked on webmd and didn't find anything that sounded like what you were describing. sinusitis and rhinitis sound similar, but you don't appear to have all the symptoms. it did say that swimming, yoga and some other exercises were allergy friendly because they don't involve a lot of 'huffing and puffing.' if it's really bothersome (it sounds like it is), i'd see an ent doctor to have some testing done. a short term solution that i can suggest is getting some saline nasal spray and using it after your swims to clear out your sinuses. good luck!!

2004-10-07 3:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Well I’ve experienced the stuffy/runny nose but not the sneezing. I generally notice this most after my extended swims without breaks. Also, it would really get bad after ocean swims. Maybe it was the salt in the water that really made it bad…

So, do you exhale from your mouth or your nose on your swim?

I've read a lot of people exhale from their nose. However, like usual I breathe when the right foot hits while running (causing my side cramps), breathe through my mouth on my bike ride (not allowing me to drink easily on the ride), and I exhale out of my mouth on my swim (causing my nose to get irritated due to water collection).

But I’m not a doctor so I would definitely check with one since self-medicating isn’t always the best idea.
2004-10-07 4:12 AM

User image

Veteran
London, UK

Nikki,

I have exactly the same symptoms! I sneeze all day after a morning swim (am at my desk sneezing now) and am fine the next day. I think in my case it is due to swimming a not very clean pool, it does get better when the pool is cleaned and I don't have problems in open water swims.

The only other way I've found to stop it is that when I swim really often I get used to it. But my threshold for adjusting is about 11 hours per week...

Nose clips seem to help some people. I've just given in to it and keep a big stock of tissues with me.

Jane

2004-10-07 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
thank you all for responding. i am not only learning a great deal, but the feeling of other people being supportive and caring is really wonderful. i have learned so much on this forum already, and i'm only a few days new!

as for my breathing while swimming. i generally exhale through both mouth and nose with bilateral breathing. should i be just exhaling through nose only? it just seems the most comfortable to do both leaving me ready for air on third stroke.

i will definetly try the nasal spray, it can't hurt! i will also consult a doctor. maybe it has something to do with the continuous air flow pattern of breathing and water getting into sinuses?

-nikki
2004-10-07 8:53 AM

Veteran
Albury, Oz
I am a sneezer and runny stuffy noser too after all swimming. I found nose clips did stop it but now I find that I am too used to breathing out my nose underwater to use them. Besides I looked like a real space cadet in them!! So I also just put up with it. Mine usually dies down after an hour or two which may be helped (anyone with sensitive stomachs avert your eyes!!!!!!) by the fact that as soon as I finish swimming I have a good hot steamy shower and blast those little nasal passages clear in the shower. Gross but may help you too! Dx
2004-10-07 10:06 AM

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: I have the same problem ...
and I thought it was caused by a chlorine allergy but I have also had the problem from open water lake swims and ocean swims. When I train in the pool I use a nose clip. It took a while to get used to it but now it doesn't bother me. I will take the nose clip off at the end of each set to allow my sinus's to equalize pressure because with it on my sinus and ear pressure won't equalize. I have found that the effect of the water on my sinus's tends to show up later in the evening. I generally swim at lunch and the after effect makes for a sneezy evening and a miserable sleep that night. So I take a Claritin D12 before the swim and don't have significant problems afterward anymore. I have tried saline spray and it didn't seem to help much, sometimes it seemed to help trigger the problem. I'm guessing that the water triggers a bacterial infection that takes a few hours to develop and then the sinus problems are a reaction to the bacterial infection. The Claritin keeps my sinus's dry and perhaps prevents the infection from developing. I guessing about the infection but it's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

I don't use a nose clip for racing but I do take a Claritin D12 before my races so that any effect on my breathing will not show up on the bike and run.

JT

2004-10-07 10:44 AM

User image

Elite

Hi Nikki,

My sinuses plug up solid after swimming in the lake.  It usually happens at night after a long swim or a hard fall waterskiing.  I get the sneezing too.  I have always been this way.  It is funny since I love the lake and swimming so much.  I am pretty certain that it is an allergy to some algae or mold in the water because it is much worse at the end of summer when the water temperature is up.  I try to shower after a lake swim and use a saline spray into my nose.   That helps but doesn't prevent the reaction.  I have been known to take a Benadryl at night to help sleep.

TW

2004-10-07 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
though i'm not crazy about drugs as the solution, when i take the nyquil it does the trick. i like the idea of taking a claritin BEFORE the swim thereby pre-emptively solving the problem. i can't take nyquill or i'll be useless. it sounds about right that the water might contain some type of bacteria which triggers the reaction.

maybe there is a homeopathic alternative?..but until then its claritin to the rescue.

-nikki
2004-10-07 2:17 PM

User image

Elite

I don't know if the saline spray is "homeopathic" or not.  I need a dictionary to understand what people write here sometimes.  I think the saline solution rinses the irritant out a little bit.  I spray as many times as I can stand.

I think a neti pot is the same idea but I have never used one.

TW 

2004-10-07 4:50 PM

I have the same reaction, only I don't start sneezing, etc until 24 hrs after swimming in the pool. The saline spray helps some, but I often need to take just one Clariton D to solve the problem. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone!
2004-10-09 5:44 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Me too!

On some days, I am very sneezy for about 1/2 day after swimming in the pool.  I don't know if it is an issue with the water cleanliness (it's a YMCA and they seem to be very regular about their maintenance), environmental issues (I do sometimes get mild hayfever), or the fact that on some days I just manage to get a little bit of water in the sinuses while swimming.

Usually about an hour or two later, I can start breaking out wiht some absolutely major sneezes, and once it starts, it seems to continues for several hours and seems to "snowball".

I think I will try some decongestants next time.  Just the act of sneezing can make me start to feel crummy.  I'm a wimp, because I hardly ever get sick, so when I do, I'm a big baby....

Edited by dhyte 2004-10-09 5:45 PM

2004-10-09 6:32 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario
I have the same problem, and have other allergies as well. I use Cromolyn nose spray as an anti-allergy medication. It is not a steroid spray and you can buy it at the drugstore. It is a bit expensive and you have to use it regularly to work properly. I completely depend on this at this time of the year, when ragweed allergies are just about killing me

Good luck
Jen
2004-10-10 10:56 PM

That's too funny, and comforting, I sneeze like crazy too, and wondered if anyone else does...No allergies that I know of...
2004-10-12 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
it must be the "irritant" factor and immune system kicking in, (based on all the feedback here). it makes sense, since everyone has different tolerances. i used to think it was leaving swimming with wet hair, then i thought maybe it was the sauna. i skipped suana a couple of times, and it still occured. (in winter i leave towel in sauna while i swim in pool, when i get out i have nice warm towel and warm room to dry off). however, the open water swims and warm weather this past summer of swimming discounts the reasoning.

i think i'm going to try the clariton BEFORE swimming..that sounds like the winning ticket. are there different kinds of clariton?

-nikki
2004-10-12 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
I usually get this after getting a larger than normal amount of water up into my sinuses. I try really hard to blow out the nose constantly while head is under water. But, I've recently tried to incorporate flip turns into my swimming. I haven't perfected the breathing, flipping, swimming all at once and usually end up with the sinuses filled up pretty good.

Trying to clear the sinues by breathing out the nose helps get most of it out, but I sure do get some strange looks from some people. heh heh. "There's that disturbed guy again" If I don't do a good enough job clearing em out, let the congestion and sneezing begin.

I also notice that I don't have this problem when I do something right after swimming (like a bike or a run). Not sure if getting the air moving through the nose is a factor or not, or if I'm just a little loco.
2004-10-13 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
funny you should mention that jk, but i was thinking the same thing. i didn't have the problem at any of my tri's. that's interesting isn't it?

-nikki

2004-10-13 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
I get this too. Both from lakes and pools. My ENT (ear-nose-throat) didn't seem to be too concerned with my complaints. He said wear a nose clip and breathe out of your mouth. I'm a nose breather and I'll put up with the runny, stuffy, sneezing....Also try Afrin to clear up the congestion.
HTH-Jeanne

Also I take Zyrtec for alleriges and it does not make a difference with my nose running.....

Edited by jeanneroth 2004-10-13 9:10 AM
2013-08-21 7:34 PM
in reply to: Guest

oh my this was helpful
I did a 5K here in RI yesterday. Aug 20. Felt a little cold --no wet suit--but not terrible. Have been sneezing ever since.
Never happened before. I am thinking it's this sinus thing.

I didn't swim a little longer than usual and did get a little colder than usual. I am thinking that's it.
Gonna try and clear this out and hope it is a one time event.

(Sachuest Chasm.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Sachuest Chasm.JPG (1705KB - 14 downloads)
2013-08-21 7:42 PM
in reply to: Jimparham

User image

Elite
always sneeze after my masters set!  Funny.  Just the body's way of expelling all the chlorine I've obviously taken in!
2013-08-21 8:21 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

holy zombie thread...last post was 2004
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » after swimming...extreme congestion and sneezing! Rss Feed  

of 1