General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool swim passing etiquette in a race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-07-28 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
Subject: Pool swim passing etiquette in a race

Hi... my first tri is tomorrow and I just went to pick up my race packet. Somehow, I didn't make it on the start list because of some glitch with active.com or on the RD's side or something... who knows. Anyway, it's a pool swim and athletes are seeded according to the estimated start times they put on their entry forms. I wasn't seeded, because no one knew I registered. I asked the RD about when I'd start, and she said things were already set up with the timing company with start times and I'd probably have to start after everyone.

Now, I put down 10:35 for a 420y swim time... this landed me in the middle of the start times had I been seeded properly. If I start after everyone else, I am guessing I will be passing a whole bunch of people, as there was half a page of 20-40min (40 min?!?) swim times listed. I just taught myself how to swim in October or so, and am not the happiest person in the water (to put it lightly), and I have no idea how to pass someone, especially a breaststroker whose foot would probably land in my face. I don't want to swim OVER anyone, as I'm 100 lbs and I would probably lose in any sort of body mass battle.

So... is there a good way to do this? Am I just going to get knocked unconscious by a flailing breaststroker during my first tri? Am I just freaking out too much! Eeeep! 

(I really hope the RD and timing company can just start me where I'm supposed to start.

2007-07-28 6:27 PM
in reply to: #905274

User image

Subject: RE: Pool swim passing etiquette in a race
Hey there,

A similar issue happened to me, where the RD somehow got the wrong time for me in a pool swim. I spoke with the RD before the race and he was aware of people who had pulled out and was able to slot me in close to where I would have been. As such I did not have to pass anyone this year.

However, I did have to pass a few people at the same race last year. To do this I waited for the turn around where I used a strong push off the wall to get around the swimmer in front before they started on their stroke. This avoided having to deal with flailing limbs, but did mean I was slowed down until reaching the wall. Having said that I do know some RDs are not happy with people passing at the wall.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Boshic
2007-07-28 7:12 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Typically, if I want to pass during a pool swim, I will first touch the feet of the person in front of me to let them know that I want to pass.  They should stop at the wall to let you pass.  If not, you can try to pass in the middle of the lane, which can be challenging.

Definitely try talking to the race director.  In my last pool swim tri, they had several people who listed the wrong time and they let them start at the end after a significant gap. 

2007-07-28 7:20 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

I did a pool swm and during warm ups this kid was backstroking faster than I could crawl, he looked like he knew what he was doing.  I saw his number and it was almost the last number.  I started talking to him and asked his 100 time.  He proceeds to point at the records on the wall and says "I hold he Keller ISD (the pool we were swimming in) 100 free recod in :50/sec.  I ask him why he is starting last and he says it is his first try and he assumed he started near the end.  Apparently he did not turn in an estimated time and got stuck at the end.  I told him to go find the race director now and change.  Unfortunately they could not move him.  He ended up swimming over people from what I heard and still tied for the fast swim of the day.  I can only image what he would have done with noone in front of him.

Like others said, tap foot and proceed.  I cannot do this however, I just swim out around and go.

2007-07-28 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
The pool swims around here, once the "line" forms for starts, if you are seeded wrong, you just find the people with simmilar times as you and shuffle up or back. It's most likely chip timed, and your time won't start until you cross the mat as you jump in the pool, so you are not cheating, or hurting anyone elses times.

As far as passing, this is a race. I give people a casual tap on the foot, give them a chance to move, and then do whatever it takes to get around them. If that means passing on the side, over the top, or grabbing a foot - it is a race, and they are in my way... My fav is a deep water flip turn, and power kick under them, and pop up in front of them...
2007-07-28 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'll try the foot tapping and wall passing method... if not, hey, it's my first tri and I'll just try to stay calm and not freak out.

2007-07-28 9:22 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I don't think you'll have a problem. Executive summary: I wouldn't even bother with foot tapping. Most beginners that are breaststroking won't know what to do with that.  

Given that you're in a standard lane, you'll have two great opportunities to pass. 1) coming off the wall....follow someone in closely, flip turn or do a quick turn, and push hard...as previously documented, and 2) at the end of the 25m (I assume), where you can get up to someone and go by, effectively cutting them off. That's not out of school, given that you're much faster than the driftwood....

I wouldn't bother coming up behind someone, tapping them, then going around. Just go around. Not over, around.

2007-07-28 9:34 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I did a pool swim tri this year and registered that morning. They had a list of folks who did not show. They let me pick the slot time that was closest to my swim estimate and they put me in there.

Turns out I finished 2nd overall as they had the start time wrong...LOL... I got it fixed and it all worked out fine.

2007-07-28 9:34 PM

Elite

A couple of thoughts, if you do end up starting at the back:

1) Likely people will be breast or side-stroking - watch out for the frog kick!

2) Likely some of the slower people will be stopping at the wall often, so that will be a good opportunity to pass.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pool swim passing etiquette in a race Rss Feed