General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Subaru Women's Tri at Mission Bay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-07-29 6:59 PM

Subject: Subaru Women's Tri at Mission Bay
I just signed up today for the supersprint. I really wanted to do the regular sprint but I'm still learning to swim. This will be my first tri unless I end up doing one of the SD Tri Club beginner races between now and then!

Are there any other ladies doing this one?

http://www.uswts.com/ca/welcome.htm

2007-07-30 4:58 PM
in reply to: #905916

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Subaru Women's Tri at Mission Bay
I did the superspirnt last year. The swim got cancelled because of the ran we had a couple of days before the race. Its a good race especailly if it is your first tri. The other women out there are very encouraging there are a few that are really serious but that is with every tri that you go to. The majority however are very nice and always giving you words of encouragement.

I'm going to do the supersprint this year again. The course is flat the only thing that I always worry about is the wind of Fiesta Island. I'm part of TCSD, I would highly recommend the beginner open water swim on Tuesdays at Glorrieta Bay if you are not used to swimming in the open water. Steve is awesome and we stay right next to you if you have any concerns about the open water.

PM me if you ever need anything. I'm not very fast but if you want to go riding sometime let me know.
2007-07-31 4:34 PM
in reply to: #907308

The women-only thing was exactly the reason I chose it. My husband, Chris, did the Solana Beach tri this weekend and some guy actually yelled at him "Get the f*** out of the way." I don't need that!

We've ridden quite a few times on Fiesta Island and yes, that wind is a killer. At least the second half is easy. Chris is actually already a member of the tri club and I'm going to sign up as well. He actually already rsvp'd for both of us for the Beginner Race in August. I'd love to make it down for the beginner swim, the only hard part is we live up in San Marcos. Chris said he's going to try to get off early next Tuesday so we can go. The good thing is he's really comfortable in the water so he helps me out a ton but I want to get used to swimming with people.
2007-08-29 9:19 AM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Hi, I am also doing the supersprint. It will be my second tri. My first being two weeks before. The Mission Bay tri. I am not sure I know what I am getting myself into. I just joined the TCSD at the August meeting. Have you joined? I am going to attend the beginner clinic on Sat the 22nd. The one that is for transitions and open water swim.

I have not been much of an athlete the last few years. I had two children in two years, and all the fun stuff that goes with that. My second just started preschool, which opens some time for training.
2007-08-29 12:55 PM
in reply to: #945505

abud7373 - 2007-08-29 7:19 AM

Hi, I am also doing the supersprint. It will be my second tri. My first being two weeks before. The Mission Bay tri. I am not sure I know what I am getting myself into. I just joined the TCSD at the August meeting. Have you joined? I am going to attend the beginner clinic on Sat the 22nd. The one that is for transitions and open water swim.

I have not been much of an athlete the last few years. I had two children in two years, and all the fun stuff that goes with that. My second just started preschool, which opens some time for training.

I haven't actually joined yet but I did do the duathlon portion of the August Beginner's race. I thought about doing the Mission Bay Tri as well. I might still. What kind of training have you been doing?
2007-08-29 2:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
I have been training around the kiddos schedule. I am in a moms' group who got me into racing. It is something I have wanted to do, but never made the commitment. Now I have a few girls to hold me accountable.
I like to swim atleast two times a week, sometimes three if my husbands schedule permits. I take the kids around in the jogger to get most of my runs or I run while they are napping. But, as you know the afternoons have been so hot, thinking about running on a treadmill in 95 temps make my stomach turn. (it is outside on the back porch) I just got my bike, I have gone out a few times. I am a wimp and still afraid to ride on the road. I have been riding at Lake Murry.
I think it is great your husband trains with you. Mine works such a crazy schedule he cannot commit to semi-regular training.

2007-08-29 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
I'm part of TCSD.  Last year my first tri was Mission Bay followed by the Subaru Women's.  I highly recommend doing the beginner practice on Sept 22.  I did it last year in preperation for my tris and it helped so much, especially the OWS.  I hope to meet everyone at the Subaru Women's tri in a few weeks.
2007-08-29 3:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
I have that beginners clinic on my calendar

Edited by abud7373 2007-08-29 4:07 PM
2007-08-29 4:10 PM
in reply to: #946184

abud7373 - 2007-08-29 12:32 PM

I have been training around the kiddos schedule. I am in a moms' group who got me into racing. It is something I have wanted to do, but never made the commitment. Now I have a few girls to hold me accountable.
I like to swim atleast two times a week, sometimes three if my husbands schedule permits. I take the kids around in the jogger to get most of my runs or I run while they are napping. But, as you know the afternoons have been so hot, thinking about running on a treadmill in 95 temps make my stomach turn. (it is outside on the back porch) I just got my bike, I have gone out a few times. I am a wimp and still afraid to ride on the road. I have been riding at Lake Murry.
I think it is great your husband trains with you. Mine works such a crazy schedule he cannot commit to semi-regular training.

Sounds like good training to me! Yea the weather has been ridiculous. Our runs usually start around 7 pm when it finally cools off but I'm sure that's probably not an option with kids! What kind of bike did you get? The road is scary. We usually stick to the 101 (we're in North County) so it's pretty much a straight shot and there's usually good bike lanes as well. Sometimes we ride at Coronado or Mission Bay. Let me know if either of you want to do a little group ride sometime!
2007-08-30 9:00 AM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
I got a 2006 Giant OCR2 from Craigslist. I like it, it fits me well. Also, I got a great deal. My other option was to use my old mountain bike from eight years ago. I think I need a little more time before I do a group ride out there in the big bad world. I need to get more comfortable on the bike and built up my speed and milage. I know, I know, I have to get out there and ride on the roads, but it is a mental block. Although I would not be opposed to you letting me know if you head down here for a ride, and if I can... more accountability. How long have you been training?
2007-08-30 12:49 PM
in reply to: #946980

abud7373 - 2007-08-30 7:00 AM

I got a 2006 Giant OCR2 from Craigslist. I like it, it fits me well. Also, I got a great deal. My other option was to use my old mountain bike from eight years ago. I think I need a little more time before I do a group ride out there in the big bad world. I need to get more comfortable on the bike and built up my speed and milage. I know, I know, I have to get out there and ride on the roads, but it is a mental block. Although I would not be opposed to you letting me know if you head down here for a ride, and if I can... more accountability. How long have you been training?

That's the nice thing about coronado. It's a seperated bike line, not actually on the road. I don't know what you have around you but I would reccommend that as a good first ride. I started running in April after my husband did his first 5K. I wanted to do them too so after 6 weeks I did my first one in Encinitas. Sometime around May we got our bikes. I still don't call myself a swimmer. Haha! I try to get in the pool 3x a week but I've always been afraid of open water. So I'm both slow and scared. Not a good combination! Have you been doing any open water swimming?

2007-08-30 10:18 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
I will definately have to check Coronado out. As to the open water swim, none. Never and I really had no great fear of it until I read an article about a woman who had crazy fears about swimming in open water, sea life of all sorts. Things I had not thought about or that did not seem to scary. But now, I guess there is such a thing as reading too much. I figure that any sea life in the area will have been frightened away by ALL of the many people swimming in front of me. I have a friend who has offered to paddle while I swim but I still need to get a wetsuit. That is the main reason I plan on attending the beginners clinic on the 22nd. Are you going to check it out? I wish I could do more of the weekly training with TCSD but right now my schedule does not work.
2007-08-31 12:26 PM
in reply to: #948097

abud7373 - 2007-08-30 8:18 PM

I will definately have to check Coronado out. As to the open water swim, none. Never and I really had no great fear of it until I read an article about a woman who had crazy fears about swimming in open water, sea life of all sorts. Things I had not thought about or that did not seem to scary. But now, I guess there is such a thing as reading too much. I figure that any sea life in the area will have been frightened away by ALL of the many people swimming in front of me. I have a friend who has offered to paddle while I swim but I still need to get a wetsuit. That is the main reason I plan on attending the beginners clinic on the 22nd. Are you going to check it out? I wish I could do more of the weekly training with TCSD but right now my schedule does not work.

I definitely fall into the whole "scared to death of open water" category. At least there are no waves at Mission Bay! I don't know if they still have the offer, but Xterra had a deal with TCSD where members got 50% off all '06 wetsuits. It might be worth checking into, they probably have some left. I got mine from them and it makes a world of difference. I might come to the beginner clinic, I'll have to see what's going on at the time. I'll let you know if I am so we can at least meet! We haven't done any of the group training yet either. I wanted to do one of their beginner swims but where they had it was all seaweed and it freaks me out.
2007-08-31 1:15 PM

User image

San Diego, CA
What almost always happens when someone does the Super Sprint, they always end up wishing they did the regular sprint. If you want to get more comfortable in the water, you should really consider coming out to one of the beginner swims or even Fridays at the cove. Tonight is the potluck, mmmmmm

Also, if you are looking to get a good swim base, check out some of the swim classes available at the local community colleges. http://schedule.sdccd.edu/It's like $20 for the whole semester.

I did the Friday night class at Mesa College last year from 6:10-8:10 and I watched so many people come such a long way. I saw people who were terrified of the water, swimming full laps by the end of the semester. Getting your swim base is always best in the pool. The coaches over there are great also.

'll be there tonight because I enjoyed it so much last year, can still "crash" the class next week as well. Hopefully I will see some of you out there.
2007-08-31 1:27 PM

Regular
The OC
Ok, I am signed up however I need hotel information. Any local knowledge of a couple of them at the race start/finish?
2007-08-31 1:50 PM
in reply to: #948807

User image

San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Subaru Women's Tri at Mission Bay - Hotels
The closest one is Paradise Point Resort, which is freakin awesome. You also might want to go to http://www.Google.comand search for "Hotel 92107" or "Hotel 92109" that will give you the hotels closest to the actual location of the event. You can also try http://www.orbitz.comI'm pretty sure their hotel search gives you the option to search by Zip code.

The actual event is in 92109, but I would suggest staying in OB (92107). It's a lot more fun and less touristy...

Edited by JAW_IV 2007-08-31 1:54 PM

2007-08-31 8:01 PM
in reply to: #948671

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
stacylambert - 2007-08-31 10:26 AM

I definitely fall into the whole "scared to death of open water" category. At least there are no waves at Mission Bay! I don't know if they still have the offer, but Xterra had a deal with TCSD where members got 50% off all '06 wetsuits. It might be worth checking into, they probably have some left. I got mine from them and it makes a world of difference. I might come to the beginner clinic, I'll have to see what's going on at the time. I'll let you know if I am so we can at least meet! We haven't done any of the group training yet either. I wanted to do one of their beginner swims but where they had it was all seaweed and it freaks me out.

Thanks for the heads up on the wetsuit. The offer had expired, but he said if I ordered today that he would give it to me. So I now have a wetsuit. After I pick it up I will have no exuse as to why I have not done a practice swim.
I hope you make it to the clinic. When I went to the club meeting I stood there, feeling silly, but then another newbie who was also standing there feeling silly came over and introduced herself. It is nice to not feel like a complete stranger.
2007-08-31 8:09 PM
in reply to: #948788

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
JAW_IV - 2007-08-31 11:15 AM

What almost always happens when someone does the Super Sprint, they always end up wishing they did the regular sprint. If you want to get more comfortable in the water, you should really consider coming out to one of the beginner swims or even Fridays at the cove. Tonight is the potluck, mmmmmm

Also, if you are looking to get a good swim base, check out some of the swim classes available at the local community colleges. http://schedule.sdccd.edu/It's like $20 for the whole semester.

I did the Friday night class at Mesa College last year from 6:10-8:10 and I watched so many people come such a long way. I saw people who were terrified of the water, swimming full laps by the end of the semester. Getting your swim base is always best in the pool. The coaches over there are great also.

'll be there tonight because I enjoyed it so much last year, can still "crash" the class next week as well. Hopefully I will see some of you out there.

I decided to do the supersprint because I am doing the Mission Bay Tri two weeks before. I thought it would bee too much since the MB is my first tri. I would love to do the beginner swim but it is on a Tuesday and that day does not work with my schedule. I would have to get a babysitter and I cannot justify that. Also, I think I need more experience to feel comfortable coming to a Friday swim. It is that catch 22, how do I get the experience if I do not go and do it. Right now I am able to swim two to three time a week at the Kroc Center in La Mesa.
2007-08-31 8:32 PM

Regular
The OC
Jaw,

Thank you for the links and the zip codes. That is a huge help!

Donna
2007-09-01 12:44 AM

I signed up for the Mission Bay one too!

I am now officially scared. Guess I have to put in some work in the next month. And yes I have decided to come to that clinic on the 22nd. I have noticed at a the TC events pretty much everyone knows each other, so it will be nice to have someone else there new!
2007-09-07 5:26 PM
in reply to: #949466

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
stacylambert - 2007-08-31 10:44 PM

I signed up for the Mission Bay one too!

I am now officially scared. Guess I have to put in some work in the next month. And yes I have decided to come to that clinic on the 22nd. I have noticed at a the TC events pretty much everyone knows each other, so it will be nice to have someone else there new!

Are you going to the newbie networking at hi tech on the 13th? I am going to try.

2007-09-10 4:36 PM

I don't know if I'll make it to the one on the 13th or not. I'll see if I can.

The club is having a beginner race on the 15th at Fiesta Island. What do you think, you want to do it? I think I am going to. I'd like to get out there in the water with people before either of the "real" ones.
2007-09-10 4:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
I wish I could. My hubby has to work, and my trusty babysitter(mom) is already watching them all day on the 16th. If you go, let me know how it turns out.
2007-09-11 4:50 PM

You mentioned a meeting on the 13th but I don't see it on the site. Did they send out an email or something? It shows one next week, but not this week. I was going to try to go to it so I could officially sign up before the race this weekend.
2007-09-11 4:57 PM
in reply to: #960636

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
They changed it. It is now next Wed. But there is a monthly meeting on the site today scheduled for Thurs 13th. Do not know if I can make Thurs, but I still want to try for the newbie mtg next Wed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Subaru Women's Tri at Mission Bay Rss Feed  

of 2