Tiburon Volunteer Fire Department
60sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 19s
Overall Rank = 167/320
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up before my alarm, got dressed and ate an uncrustable. Matt and the dogs walked me down to the transition. I love rolling down the hill to start a race!
Event warmup:

Nothing, just walked down to the race site. Also met Scott (TysDad), love meeting BTers in person!
Swim
  • 15m 4s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I rented a new Orca full-suitfor this race and thought it would work for me. About 20 yards into the swim started to get shoulder fatigure, guess I am going to have to keep trying on sleeveless wetsuits until I can find one that works for me.

Regardless, I had a good swim and beat my time from last year by 5 minutes, so I am happy with that. The water was pretty choppy and swallowed a little more salt-water than I really cared to, yuck.
What would you do differently?:

Deal with the cold water and figure out a sleeveless wetsuit that will work for me.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transitions were not timed. Wetsuit stuck on my ankles a bit, was able to get my shoes on, no socks, without any problem.

Nothing
Bike
  • 36m 49s
  • 9 miles
  • 14.67 mile/hr
Comments:

The first few miles of the course are flat and then a climb and about 6 miles of rollers. The beginning of my ride was ok, but my legs were pretty sore. I had not been on my bike since Vineman last weekend and started to do some weight training this week.

The climb was ok, did this race on my tri bike although the course is probably better suited to a road bike. There were 2 women riding side-by-side the entire race! I would pass them on the downhill and they would pass me on the uphill. I wanted to yell, "ride single file!" Ugg!! About half way through the ride my knee started bothering me again, guess I need to get that checked out. So once again all of the down pedal was very painfall, it made climbing the rollers, extremely unpleasant. As I got closer to transition thought about not heading out on the run.

Got to the dismount line and a girl stopped right behind me, so as I brought my leg around I hit her arm. The dismount area should have been a little bigger, but she really should not have stopped right on my back wheel.

Suffered with pain on the bike, but took another 5 minutes off of my time from last year!

Figure out what's going on with my knee. Something with the patella, ugg.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Some a-hole racked their bike in my spot, ugg! Had to lay the bike down on the ground. Ran without socks and almost left T2 with my helmet on.

Take the helmet off right away, duhh.
Run
  • 17m 26s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best run ever in a race! The legs felt great, the knee only bothered me with the motion of pedaling rather than running. I passed a few people, but not many...I never pass anyone on the run. At one point I looked at my watch and figured I could run a 1:10 race and was pumped.

I felt strong on the run, which nevers happens, ever. About .25 miles from the finsih I see the b-tch who was riding along her friend on the bike and I pass her. Then she passes me. I think about pushing and passing her, but I look at her leg number and see that she was in an earlier wave then me and thought to myself, "heck I'm already 3 minutes ahead of her". Rather sprint by her for the finish I let her cross the finish line first. I finish in 1:09 and took off about 40s second on this run over last year.

Nothing, great run! Overall I shaved 11 minutes off of my race time from last year!! I'm very happy with the race, too bad the patella was killing me on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some coffee and ate a banana. Looked for Scott, but was not able to find him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee issues on the bike

Event comments:

I like this race because it's right where i live....roll out of bed and down to the start!

Last updated: 2007-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:04 | 880 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 194/320
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca (rental)
Course: Start at the yacht club, head out to the bay and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:49 | 09 miles | 14.67 mile/hr
Overall: 120/320
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Tiburon loop. Lots of rollers and switchbacks.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:26 | 02 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 214/320
Performance: Good
Course: 2 mile flat loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-07-30 11:09 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: Tiburon Sprint Triathlon

2007-07-30 11:57 AM
in reply to: #906626

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Subject: RE: Tiburon Sprint Triathlon
Abbie--

Great race! It was great to meet up before the race and down at the water, it helped to have people to talk to so I didn't get too nervous. Sorry I missed you after the race. I looked, but you mught have left already. I'll try and do my RR at lunch, but my time ended up 1h 23m 45sec. Not too bad for my first and only deciding to do it two weeks before the event. Thanks for the message on the cell.

Talk to you soon

scott
2007-07-30 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
Scott-
So glad you finished!!! Do you feel like you've been bitten by the tri bug? I hope your wife and son were there to see you finish.
Abbie
2007-07-30 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Yep, I've been bitten. It was a great feeling to complete the race and it was nice to come in under 1.5 hours. It was a wake up call as to my fitness level and it showed me where I need to be for the next race. You'll get the gory details in my RR when it's done. Jason is tri'ing to get me to do the one in Napa in October. I'll think about this one, 4 mile run, ugg. But I am thinking of doing the Treasure Island Sprint in November and volunteering for the Oly.

My wife and son missed my finish by 5 minutes. It's hard to get anywhere in the morning with a 2.5 year old. But it was good to see them shortly after.

Scott
2007-07-30 4:45 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco

sounds like you had a great race.  nice of you to let the b-tch cross before you (probably a better person than I would have been).

What's up with the knee pain??

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiburon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed