Port Republic Recreation Dept
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m
Overall Rank = 110/250
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/30
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:15 and load the kids and Tammy into the cars and got gas and hit the road by 5:40. Had to take both cars to fit my and the kids bikes. Long drive, got there by 7:15 or so parked unloaded, dropped off my bike, checked in dropped the kids bikes off and then set up my area put on sunscreen and head to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam lightly for about 5-10 minutes and then listened to the pre race meeting in the water.
Swim
  • 13m 59s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok I got in and tested out the goggles and right off the bat they still leaked. Had to dump it out once. Other than that it wasn't all that bad. Started to the outside and diamonded the first half as ususal staying out of traffic and swund inside on way back. Got into a nice rhythm and felt smooth, flat, and fast. Felt like I was passing folks most of the way. A bit off the mark at the end and had to run back to the chute.
What would you do differently?:

Think its time for new gogles.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

For me it was a good transition. No wetsuit to worry about 134th rank but quick in and out other than digging thru my bag to find my Gu.

Set up the Gu. However with the kids around I was a bit distracted.
Bike
  • 45m 59s
  • 15.33 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride for me. Changed the course from last couple years cutting out the small out and back after the end the Cooper's Mill Rd. Drank every 5 miles and had a Gu after the turnaround. Got into a good rhythm early and got up to 20 mph and pretty much stayed there the whole way. Got up to 22 MPH in stretches and a low of 18. Still had a few folks blow past me like I was standing still. Hard to believe I hit 20 mph ave and was still 129th out of 250.

No too much drifted a bit the second half and could have done a better job shifting to keep the effort constant. Advertised distance was 16 mph, (then 15.7). But an official 20 mph ave is great for me. 2nd time for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Didn't seem too slow but ranked 189th. Quick trot to the rack, racked in changed shoes, grabbed a drink and headed out

Went well
Run
  • 30m 29s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok the time says I ran a monster negative split, but I think the course was a bit short (same course as last 3 years). I did run a negative split but not that much of one. Took a while for my legs to come in. first two miles it just didn't feel right. I moved along ok, but couldn't get going. At the two mile point I had two folks pass me easily and that flipped the switch as my legs responded and I picked up the pack to try and hang with them as long as possible. Good effort and finished well. Good run but felt unsatistfying cause took so long to get moving.

Get into that flow earlier and go negative split each mile. Took 2 miles to get going, not bad in a HIM or IM but way too late in a 4 miles sprint run. The most disapointing part was that I felt fine the whole way
Post race
Warm down:

Rode the Bambino Bi with Matthew (2 miles) and the final quarter mile run/walk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Couldn't get going on run.

Event comments:

Fourth year I did this race. Smallish field but aways quality field. over half the field averaged over 20 mph (me being the last one officially). Good post race food, and overall feel. But the Bambino Biathlon was the best. They revamped the schedule to do the Bambino Bi after the race (vice during the bike segment). Adrian and Matthew both competed. matthew just learned to ride a bike this spring so it was very cool. Neither tore up the core but it was a cool moment to see them compete and to ride along with Matthew (hammed it up the whole time, slow then fast, then repeat the whole way. Ran his fastest after crossing the finish line thru the chute to get his ribbon)

Last updated: 2007-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:59 | 880 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 106/250
Performance: Good
Suit: Javelin Tri suit
Course: And out and back. Beach start 6 bouys and then back to start. The course did seem a bit short.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:59 | 15.33 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Overall: 129/250
Wind: Some
Course: Flat with rolling hills (whatever that means). A good out and back with long straight stretches where it was great to get going.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:29 | 04 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 111/250
Performance: Average
1- 8:01 2- 8:02 3- 7:47 4- 6:36
Course: Single loop around the outside of the park and inlet.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-07-31 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Jersey Genesis Triathlon

2007-07-31 8:05 PM
in reply to: #908905

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Jersey Genesis Triathlon

Nice race Andy! 

Hopefully I'll get back to this one next year.  And I hope they'll keep the Bambino set-up the same as this year--I'm sure it was a blast watching Matthew & Adrian race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jersey Genesis Triathlon Rss Feed