Other Resources My Cup of Joe » (Long) HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE??? Traveling yard ornaments? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-07 10:58 PM

Online or Offline
Subject: (Long) HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE??? Traveling yard ornaments?

We have been in this house for slightly over a year, and we've been doing some major renovations to it. Last summer it started with ripping off the roof and replacing it, reshingling the cedar siding, and replacing the windows. When it came time to paint the outside, I suggested  a "pink". When I meant PINK, I meant like a nice sand to salmon color, not PINK-pink. When the time came very close to start painting, I became really adamant about a nice cheery "character-giving" color - it's a Cape, afterall. I heartily insisted the "Pink", and suggested to my husband he'd be sorry if he doesn't go with it. Before I knew it, my husband already purchased 10 gallons of some drab, boring Montpelier Gray.

So, I ordered a bunch of pink yard flamingos and placed them alllll ovvveeerr the front yard while he was away. In turn I went away for 4 days as well, and there resided in front of our stuffy Boston suburb home, was a bunch of pink flamingos. Common in Florida, absolutely tasteless to display in Massachusetts (I'm NOT from here.)

My favorite though was one that you can dress up according to seasons. It has a witch outfit, turkey, Santa, easter bunny ears, Uncle Sam clothes, raincoat set, leprechaun, luau, scarf and hat winter get up......I have faithfully over the last year changed that flamingo's clothes as appropriate, and kept it in the front yard (why? because I can, and all my stuffy neighbors need to get a grip - relaxxx!).

About 6 weeks ago, I return home from work.....it's gone. Missing! This was my polite way of giving my stuffy neighbors the middle finger (that and blasting Metallica, Korn, Linkin Park, etc. outside whenever we're doing work out there). I am sad and somewhat borderline ballistic.

Tonight, I walk out of my side door on my way to Masters', and there's my flamingo! Still dressed in its grass skirt and lei, wrapped in plastic with a note attached in another plastic bag. Photos. Eeeek I'm afraid to look.

My flamingo visited Virginia, M-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-crooked letter-crooked letter-I-hump back-hump back-I, and Tennessee. It was photoed in the driver's seat of an 18-wheeler, sleeping in the cab, surveying an Everglade-type property for sale, stuck in a vending snack and coke machine, and in front of a church. Oh, and apparently met two new friends.

I was elated. I can play dress-up with my offensive yard ornament again! It has it's witch outfit on now. Next month it wears the turkey, then Santa and then its hat and scarf........cooool!

I wish I had a digital camera so I could show it off......so happy it's back!

(flamingo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
flamingo.jpg (14KB - 71 downloads)

2004-10-07 11:54 PM
in reply to: #70412

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: (Long) HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE??? Traveling yard ornaments?
Oh, now you have to post the pictures of the flamingo on the trip.

We did something similar one year with a yard gnome around spring break time in college.

Hehehehe.

-Chris
2004-10-08 12:03 AM
in reply to: #70423

Online or Offline

Chris, I'll try to get my hub to scan the pics of my flamingo's travels.

Gnomes, I know -- I had seen a segment on Good Morning America about some gnome who was kidnapped and had gone overseas a few years back. Was that  you? The lack of originality in taking my birdie was so lame.

I'm gonna get someone to sew up a tri suit for it next year

2004-10-08 7:58 AM

Champion

You have weird neighbors.  Why don't you just move next to us, it sounds like it'd be a lot of fun.  And I wouldn't even complain about the pink house!

2004-10-08 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

Max, first of all it is not pink more of a sand to salmon color,(cool feature), which of course the former would pi@@ the neighbors off much more than the latter. 

Second of all May, you have WAY too much time on your hands....maybe you should go back to work....(just kidding buddy)

What a trip you are kid,  Your story is a riot, just what I needed today!!! Not going to make the problems go away....just a strong dose of laughter, Thanks

2004-10-08 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
OMG, that is hilarious!! You simply must get your husband to scan those pics soon!! We'd love to see them.

When we moved into our house a year ago, I bought a gnome for the front specifically so that someone could steal it and send us postcards of its travel. (I had never heard of this until my husband clued me in.) Sadly, he is still in our yard waiting for his big trip to begin... I suppose the fact that we live on a low-travelled dead end street does not help.

Thanks so much for the laugh this morning!

Kelly

2004-10-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #70467

Online or Offline

Kelly,

You are too funny asking for your gnome to be taken on a whirlwind romance of the world! Are you familiar with Flat Stanley? I took this kid's Flat Stanley on a long vacation I had and then to work with me for a week. His butt got stamped at all the places I had to go thru customs and my company prohibits taking photographs of "company property" without prior permission. That paper doll was in some crazy places

I'll try to get them scanned sometime soon......

2004-10-08 10:29 AM
in reply to: #70456

Online or Offline
c2fd - 2004-10-08 8:59 AM

on your hands....maybe you should go back to work....(just kidding buddy)

Is it not surprising that I'm the coolest aunt in the world? My brother's wife cringes at my humor around their children...good thing I live out of state!

2004-10-08 10:59 AM
in reply to: #70475

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Yes, I know all about Flat Stanley!! My daughter had to do a class project similar to that a few years ago, except it had to be "Flat Jenna" (her name is Jenna). She had to make a life size drawing of herself and send it off somewhere. My parents took Flat Jenna to Florida with them on vacation, and the pictures are a riot! One pic had the riverboat tour guide at Disney holding Flat Jenna while he gives the tour. Another shows Flat Jenna sunning herself by the pool while reclining in a deck chair. My parents also kept a journal of Flat Jenna's travels to be turned in as part of the project--very, very amusing! (My parents really get into this stuff. lol )

Sound like your Flat Stanley had quite an adventure too! Cool! Now if only my little gnome would get stolen...

Kelly
2004-10-08 6:47 PM
in reply to: #70456

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

What a trip you are kid,  Your story is a riot, just what I needed today!!! Not going to make the problems go away....just a strong dose of laughter, Thanks

I am sooo glad I found this thread!  OMG that is just waaaay too funny!  May....we need PICTURES!!!

2004-10-09 11:00 AM
in reply to: #70604

Online or Offline
WHEW!! Dang ya'll it wasn't easy, but only because I love ya! I had to update my Windows, dig up the scanner, install the software and then learn how to use the program and editing functions....

ANYHOO
In order that I'm assuming the events of the fateful trip unfolded:
Down I-95 into Virginia, over into TN and down into Mississippi. I don't recall the order of the church and house pictures, and am assuming the two people are from the church.

I'm still disturbed that his legs were removed in order to get into the machines. Its butt is sticking out of the food machine, in case you're not familiar with basic plastic flamingo anatomy.

2004-10-09 11:00 AM
in reply to: #70604

Online or Offline

Hmmm.....it wouldn't upload them all at once....try something else

Edited by TypeA Girl Pilot 2004-10-09 11:27 AM
2004-10-09 11:06 AM

Online or Offline
OK

I've got it under control here.........

Edited by TypeA Girl Pilot 2004-10-09 11:20 AM
2004-10-09 11:21 AM

Online or Offline

(TNflamingo.jpg)

(truckFlamingo.jpg)

(sleepFlamingo.jpg)

(churchFlamingo.jpg)

(VAflamingo.jpg)

(mississippiFlamingo.jpg)

(FoodFlamingo.jpg)

(BeerWhereFlamingo.jpg)

(Shack4saleFlamingo.jpg)

(friendsWflamingo.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
TNflamingo.jpg (48KB - 94 downloads)
truckFlamingo.jpg (37KB - 97 downloads)
sleepFlamingo.jpg (32KB - 89 downloads)
churchFlamingo.jpg (49KB - 73 downloads)
VAflamingo.jpg (51KB - 78 downloads)
mississippiFlamingo.jpg (36KB - 80 downloads)
FoodFlamingo.jpg (56KB - 75 downloads)
BeerWhereFlamingo.jpg (25KB - 86 downloads)
Shack4saleFlamingo.jpg (78KB - 94 downloads)
friendsWflamingo.jpg (41KB - 77 downloads)
2004-10-09 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
May, that was TOTALLY worth your time! The pictures are awesome! The tales your flamingo has to tell!

Thanks for sharing. I love it!
2004-10-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: #70486

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
we took my nephew's Flat Stanley fishing a few years ago. Somehow he ended up on a hook and was almost used as bait! Wish I knew where the pictures were......

2004-10-09 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
OK, what IS a flat stanley?
2004-10-09 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
that is just hysterical!! thanks for sharing!
2004-10-09 4:26 PM

Online or Offline
You're welcome all!!

A Flat Stanley is based on a character in a book, premise is that a child makes a cardboard paper likeness of himself and sends him away to someone else for a visit. On the visit Flat Stanley and the host do whatever, then the host returns the doll with a journal or like maybe a pin of the state the "Flat Stanley" was in, stickers, souvenirs, pictures, tattoos, stamps, whatever.

I think as an adult, once you finally get over yourself, you have alot of fun with it. It is the perfect excuse to be able to act silly without reason. Plus, you meet so many people who ask you what in the world you are doing - great ice breaker.

We didn't find it appropriate to return every picture taken of Flat Stanley , but he had some great souvenirs!

Ellen, you gotta show us your Flat guy fishing if you can find the pic! All my pics were on film and sent away (the remainder are unsuitable for public viewing).
2004-10-09 4:27 PM

Online or Offline
We need Flat Jenna pics too!!

c2fd - 2004-10-08 8:59 AM

Second of all May, you have WAY too much time on your hands....maybe you should go back to work....(just kidding buddy)

And incidentally I AM going back to work tomorrow!! Short 2 days away, and then vacation!!!

Oh Kelly!!! Dang - I'm doing Australia and Africa, I travel light and have room for a bored gnome... how funny would that be to have pics of it with joeys, Aborigines, the Olympic Stadium in Sydney and Masai in Africa? He he he he he!!!

Edited by TypeA Girl Pilot 2004-10-09 4:36 PM
2004-10-10 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
WOW, thanks for the pics!  Worth the effort. The trip was a riot!!  

Congrats on getting back to work, I bet they are saying "Hey that girl pilot's back", or maybe that's old  ;!

2004-10-20 6:32 AM

User image

Champion
Michigan
i don't have a traveling yard oranment, but my company has a traveling male blow up doll, renaldo, is his name, and he is NOT anatomically intact. We like to stick him in, on and around peoples cars and bags.

Trix
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » (Long) HAS THIS NOT BEEN DONE??? Traveling yard ornaments? Rss Feed