Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Question for the parents out there Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-08-02 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Question for the parents out there
This summer I'm working as a nanny for two boys, ages 9 and 11.  I have them for 3-4 10 hour days/week.   Since it's summer and it's hot, we spend a lot of time at the pool.  I usually play with them while we're there but I'm thinking it'd be great if I could get some workout swim time in while we're there, since it's hard to get back to the pool after 10 hours of work to workout.  So my question for parents out there, since I'm getting paid to be with the kids, would it be bad of me to take 30 min. or so to get some laps in?  I'm normally a very hands-on, involved babysitter....I'm not the type to just drop the kids off and let them play on their own....which is probably why i'm feeling guilty about this.  I'd still be in the same place with them so i'd be there if they needed me, but am I not fulfilling my job duties if I'm working out while i'm technically "on the clock"?    

2007-08-02 10:33 AM
in reply to: #910977

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: RE: Question for the parents out there

I think different parents will have different expectations.  You are going to need to ask the parents what they expect from you since they are your "boss". 

2007-08-02 10:37 AM

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as:

The boys are safe.
They can see you.
You can see them.

One way to accomplish this would be to have them swim with you in the lap lane.

2007-08-02 10:51 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Tricky question.  As a triathlete I sympathize, but as a parent if there was some kind of incident and you weren't immediately aware of it because you were swimming laps I'd be extremely angry.  In fact, if you even asked I'd question whether you really wanted the job.  Maybe that's harsh, but when it comes to my kids that's how I feel.  OTOH, my 2 older kids are only 7 and 5 so maybe I'm overly concerned compared to if I had 9 and 11 year olds.

When I'm at a pool, with or without my kids, I'm on  high alert.  I was a lifeguard and it's just kind of how I am.  At my son's end of season baseball team pool party a year ago a 6 y.o. kid who had been hanging on to a noodle but couldn't swim well went under in the deep end of the pool and not a single parent saw him.  I was across the yard and handed my baby to my wife and ran into the pool and pulled the kid out.  He was 10 feet from his parents, and drowning, and nobody saw it in a yard full of people.  I know that when I'm doing laps I am aware of almost nothing around me.  You are being paid to pay attention.  Maybe these kids can swim just fine, but in a crowded pool a kid can jump on another kid underwater very easily.  Fights can break out.  A kid can slip on the deck.  As a lifeguard I watched a guy walking around a pool and when he went to cut the corner he was talking to someone in the pool, his foot missed the edge and he went down.  Caught his chin on the other side of the corner of the pool, knocked teeth out, smashed his face AND was unconscious when he hit the water.  Anything can happen at any time.

Sorry if this kind of turned into a rant.  I'm very big on safety around water.

2007-08-02 10:52 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

I think the answer depends on several things.  A few of those being, 1) Would I, as a parent, feel the kids were safe if they were with me and I took 30 minutes to swim laps.  2) Do I feel my kids are well enough behaved to trust them for 30 minutes “on their own” (meaning within sight but not having hands on supervision).  If I can answer YES to both those, then if you asked if it was okay to take some time to get some laps, I would say yes.

Also, I think it would be important to ask the parents first.  If my kids told me you took time to swim laps and leave them “unsupervised” (again, within sight but not hands on supervision) that I think my wife and I would not be happy.  If you ask first, I think most parents would be at least appreciative that you asked.  If they say “Yes,” then great.  If they say, “No,” then skirt that issue by challenging the kids to some races in the pool (what kid doesn’t like a friendly race).  You get at least some laps and you all get to have fun.

2007-08-02 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal

Being at the pool for most of the day, the kids would need a few minutes of downtime. When we had our Aupair, she would do the aquafitness class at the pool while the kids (5 and 7 at that time) ate there lunch with their friends.   I think it is a great Idea. It helps project  a healthy livestyle.   I would also check with the parents first.

Mike

2007-08-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: #910993

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
tkbslc - 2007-08-02 11:33 AM

I think different parents will have different expectations. You are going to need to ask the parents what they expect from you since they are your "boss".

x2

... and if the parent was me, I would likely have a problem with it.  The fact that I am a triathlete would make me even less inclined to be OK with it.  When I am swimming, I am paying little or no attention to what else is going on around me.  Things can happen quickly in the pool.  If something happened to those kids while you were doing laps, you would never forgive yourself.  I'm not sure it's worth the chance.

2007-08-02 11:01 AM
in reply to: #911042

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
soloryder - 2007-08-02 10:55 AM

Being at the pool for most of the day, the kids would need a few minutes of downtime. When we had our Aupair, she would do the aquafitness class at the pool while the kids (5 and 7 at that time) ate there lunch with their friends.   I think it is a great Idea. It helps project  a healthy livestyle.   I would also check with the parents first.

Mike

Great point.  With kids that age I'd have no problem with a 20-30 minute lunch while you swim and the kids know the pool area is off limits until you are done.  Of course, I'd wonder if I get to pay a reduced rate for that time.

2007-08-02 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

I'm in agreement with the comments erring on the side of caution.  It takes one glance away for a child to drown; swimming laps is definitely not conducive to being vigilant.  My kids are 9 and 7 and very capable swimmers, but "stuff" can happen.  If they were in your care and I heard about "lap swimming" from them first, that'd be the end of the relationship, period.  I'd definitely run this question by the parents and see how they respond.

Question:  Does the pool in question call for an "adult swim" every hour?  Our lifeguard (n'hood pool) calls a 10-min adult swim every hour; our Y pool (the outdoor "fun" pool) does the same.  If not, you might want to suggest this.  I'd have no problem with a caretaker swimming laps while the kids were out of the water and sitting in a designated area.

2007-08-02 11:59 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Well, considering you're working a 10 hour day, in any other profession you'd be allowed some break time. As a parent myself, I would not have a problem. However, the idea of the kids having a swim break for lunch or whatever would be better, in my opinion.   I think they should be out of the water if your attention is not fully on them, even if there is a lifeguard on duty. Best advice, though, is to check with the parents.
2007-08-02 12:18 PM
in reply to: #911033

Elite
Denver, Colorado
hangloose - 2007-08-02 10:51 AM

Tricky question.  As a triathlete I sympathize, but as a parent if there was some kind of incident and you weren't immediately aware of it because you were swimming laps I'd be extremely angry.  In fact, if you even asked I'd question whether you really wanted the job.  Maybe that's harsh, but when it comes to my kids that's how I feel.  OTOH, my 2 older kids are only 7 and 5 so maybe I'm overly concerned compared to if I had 9 and 11 year olds.

I have to agree here about the swimming laps. And the problem I would have is that trying to focus on swimming for 30 minutes would make it really hard to watch the kids. However, you have many options.

1. Get a raft and do a few laps while towing the kids. They'll have fun and you'll get a good resistance workout.

2. Kick board drills - either kicking or doing one-arm drills while holding on to the board with the other arm. Your head will be above water so you can watch the kids at all time.

3. Aquajogging. I never tried this but I hear it's pretty good. Again, you can keep your head above water to watch the kids.

2007-08-02 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Well, most has been said but I would agree that check with parents first but more importantly, if you were to swim - how can the kids be safeguarded. Kids are too easily distracted and it takes a split second to have them run off doing something they shouldn't or swimming when they should be on dry land. Maybe I'm overly cynical but with a 4.5 yr old - he completely does the opposite of what he knows I want with little regard to any consequences whether its punishments or potential injury to himself.

Bottom line, you are being paid to provide care to the kids. Their needs come first.

2007-08-02 2:20 PM

User image

Regular
If I were the parent, I would not have a problem with a short 30 min swim IF the kids were safe. i.e., out of the water eating lunch.

However, if the kids were in the water, I would want someone watching them. I'm a little paranoid about kids and water. I've seen things go badly wrong very quickly, even with older kids. Plus you are getting paid to supervise the kids.

On a related note, if I had to spend 10 hours a day with kids I'd drown myself
2007-08-02 9:26 PM
in reply to: #911383

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Maybe I am over cautious but I would not think it okay.

If you have kids at the pool and you are the adult responsible for them, you need to be responsible for them the whole time.

I would not be okay with it if they were my kids.

Nothing personal, just my honest thougts as a parent of four kids.
2007-08-02 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
I'm in the group thats not "ok with it", I don't think it is possible to swim and watch kids at the same time. I can see that riding on a bike trainer in the same room with them would be ok, but during swimming one becomes too detached from their surroundings.
2007-08-03 4:29 AM

Extreme Veteran

In principle I wouldn't be ok with it.

However, I could be made ok with it if you had a plan of where the kids will be, how they'll be supervised and what they'll be doing. 

Perhaps you could find a way to involve the children - have one time your laps and the other writing down the information from the spectators gallery?  

2007-08-03 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

I would have a hard time with it.  Just the way I look at things, if I were the primary person responsible for the kids and something happened while I was distracted I would beat myself up about it for the rest of my life (regardless of if I could have done anything about it or not).

On those grounds I would say no if it were a sitter asking about my daughter or if I was the one doing the watching (regardless of if the parents were ok with it or not).

Interestingly this is in contrst to how I would feel about doing it myself as the parent if I felt that my daughter at that age was responsible enough to hang out with her friends and eat lunch or something similar.

I was largely self parented and I was going to the pool by myself at that age so my impressions are a bit skewed by that.

2007-08-03 9:18 AM

As a former (very experienced) nanny - ask the the parents.

Some parents are notoriously CRAZY (no offense to the parents here), and often unreasonably so, so it's better to be safe than sorry. Fortunately, many of the moms I sat for were very cool, and their kids were able to entertain themselves within 100 feet of me without getting in trouble/hurt/killed - and I am very very watchful anyway and treated them all like they were my own babies (I can hear crying children from a mile away, even if they're not in my care)- so the moms trusted me. But I have sat for some CRAZY, irrational people- and it's the crazy ones that ruin the experience overall. So just ask. I get that your children are your children, but I also know how my mother was with us in the care of other people, and how we were raised and parents don't HAVE to go to the lengths that some do to keep their kids safe, esp. if they're leaving their kids in the hands of very capable, intelligent, responsible caring caregivers.
2007-08-03 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Thanks everyone. You confirmed a lot of what I was thinking. I'm not used to watching kids this age so I wasn't sure what was considered acceptable. When I was that age my parents would drop me off at the pool in the morning and pick me up later in the afternoon, but I'm not sure my parents should be the role models of how it should be done. Anyway, I will definitely talk to the parents about it but I wanted to get a general idea first.The pool is really really small. The long side, where the lap lane is, is only 25m, and the other way is not much more than half that, so it's hard to imagine something happening that the lifeguard or I wouldn't see, but I guess there's always a chance. There's only one lap lane and there's usually always at least one other person there, so having the kids there with me doesn't work. Also the pool doesn't have adult swim they just have "lifeguard break" where everyone, adults included, has to get out. I wish they would let adults swim w/no lifeguard but they won't go for that. Also we usually go home for lunch so I can't swim while the kids eat. The kids are pretty mature and generally stay together, so if something happened to one of them the other would be able to get me or get someone. The only way they'd be out of the pool for long enough for me to swim is if I let them bring their nintendo DS's w/them and then they could play w/those while I swam, but that sort of defeats the purpose of getting them outside and away from video games and all that...and i'm sure their parents wouldn't be happy w/that. I guess I'll just stick to draggin my butt out to my pool after work, though I may still bring it up briefly w/the parents. Thanks everyone!
2007-08-03 1:10 PM
in reply to: #912547

User image

Mountain View, CA

lil_turtle - 2007-08-03 10:32 AMThe only way they'd be out of the pool for long enough for me to swim is if I let them bring their nintendo DS's w/them and then they could play w/those while I swam, but that sort of defeats the purpose of getting them outside and away from video games and all that...and i'm sure their parents wouldn't be happy w/that. 

Is there a patch of grass where they could play frisbee, soccer, catch, tag, or any other outdoor-but-not-pool-oriented game? Seems to me that there are plenty of things to do outdoors that don't involve being in the water. If nothing else, they could read a book!

2007-08-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: #912638

User image

Expert
In limbo
puellasolis - 2007-08-03 12:10 PM

lil_turtle - 2007-08-03 10:32 AMThe only way they'd be out of the pool for long enough for me to swim is if I let them bring their nintendo DS's w/them and then they could play w/those while I swam, but that sort of defeats the purpose of getting them outside and away from video games and all that...and i'm sure their parents wouldn't be happy w/that. 

Is there a patch of grass where they could play frisbee, soccer, catch, tag, or any other outdoor-but-not-pool-oriented game? Seems to me that there are plenty of things to do outdoors that don't involve being in the water. If nothing else, they could read a book!

Unfortunately no.  The pool area is entirely fenced in with just a narrow cement area around it.  There is a park connected to it but outside the fence.  And I'd have a really hard time convincing them to read a book while I was swimming.  That definitely wouldn't go over well!

2007-08-03 1:53 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

my vote would be yes, its bad for you, as the babysitter, to get in a swim session when you are supposed to be watching two boys.

water is too unforgiving a substance to take your eyes off of your charges for thirty minutes.

plus, is it a public place? aren't you concerned they'd wander off, with or without help? if you know what i mean?

Edited by marymosc13 2007-08-03 1:54 PM
2007-08-04 5:39 PM

User image

Elite
As a parent, personally I would not be happy with that idea.
2007-08-06 7:23 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Ages 9 and 11 are fast approaching that point where "direct, hands-on" supervision isn't 100% required.  (You're there as the responsible adult and they should know how to find you in an instant should something happen.

If you can make a plan to present to the parents showing how the lap swimming would work, it can be OK.  Focus on the kids and how you can have it benefit them too.  (Hint:  What if you spent some time with them swimming laps beside you?  They could take turns and it would improve their swimming.)  You can get lots of swimming in between the splash from the diving board and the ladder.  Do you get in the water and play/interact with them?  I was a swim instructor (a long time ago) and would give the kids "free time" to jump off the diving board as long as they swam properly back to the side (they never realized how much extra practice they got). 

Finally, it won't matter much what you propose if something goes wrong while you're swimming laps, you won't look good. 

2007-08-06 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia

My boys are 8 and 10.  When we go to the pool I will swim laps, but it's usually during the 10 minute adult swim periods when the kids are out of the water and having a snack.  If I had a sitter watching them, I wouldn't mind her/him swimming laps when my kids were out of the pool but I would feel a little nervous about it with them swimming.  As a parent, I'm not hands on with my kids for 10 hours in a row.  I'm usually just in the background making sure they don'y kill each other or set the house on fire.  Just ask the parents.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Question for the parents out there Rss Feed  

of 2