General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Gel or not to Gel Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-09 11:19 AM

Subject: To Gel or not to Gel
My weakest sport is running. During my next sprint I want to try using an energy gel prior to my run. I plan on using power bar strawberry banana with caffeine (woohoo!!). I have used it on long bike rides and feel that my energy was improved. The question is, when should I take the gel in order to get the most benefit for the run and also so it doesn't just make me sick. I had also thought I might take one right after the swim for the bike portion. Is it worth it and does it really help boost your energy?

2004-10-09 11:40 AM
in reply to: #70685

Veteran
Keller, TX
Subject: RE: To Gel or not to Gel

how is the rest of your nutrition?  what length of race are you doing? 

I've found that taking too much 'stuff' is bad.  If I eat a good breakfast and stay hydrated, I tend to do okay for short events.  If you are going to gel, be sure you take it with about 8 oz of water to keep it moving through your system.  You might even want to mix a gel with water and take it that way.

I've had better luck with e-gels and hammer gels - they have more carbs / calories.

If you aren't eating on the bike, take some nutrition there.  I have found that I can eat anything on the bike, but once I get to the run, I kind of need to stay with liquids.  For a sprint distance race, taking something about 10-15 min before you go to the run should have it kicking in during T2 or shortly after hitting the run.

On long runs, I take a fuel belt loaded with either gatorade or gels mixed with water.  That tends to let me take on fluid and fuel at the same time.

Everyone is different - experiment . . .

2004-10-09 12:44 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I usually take my gel just before the end of the bike leg.  But, be careful, never try anything new, be it equipment or nurishment, during an event.  Experiment with them first during training to see which gels suit you and which ones don't.  You would not want to get cramps or worse during an event, would you?!?
2004-10-09 1:35 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Atlanta, GA
To gel- that's my opinion.

So here's how my sprint race food plan works:
before race- breakfast
swim- nothing
bike- consume 1 gel pack in the first few miles of course and drink an entire bottle of accelerade
run- 1 gel pack by first mile

consuming it before the first mile is so that it's in my stomach by the time i reach the first drink stand and can then wash it all down with some water and throw it away.

that plan works for me but it may not for you. remember to always try things first in training before doing it in a race.
2004-10-09 5:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To Gel or not to Gel Rss Feed