YMCA of Midland
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m
Overall Rank = 46/89
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

up at 4:30, stretch, breakfast, shower and off to the venue.
Event warmup:

after body marking and racking my bike I jogged about 1/2 mile for warm up. At 20 min till my start (time trial start) I warmed up with 250 yards in the other pool. The swim warm up worked very well. I took a powerbar gel just before warm up 2X cafeene. I did have to stand and wait for start ~5-7 minutes, it was a bit chilly but not bad.
Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Unofficialy I ended up swimming much faster than my previous timed swims. I think it had to do with the warm up. I was happy with my pace, and only switched strokes twice (two lengths of breast stroke) That's really not too bad because my breast stroke is fairly fast. I did catch a draft just about 75 yards before the end. That's the first time I noticed how much energy you save in the draft. The guy stopped at the turn to let me go by. Good sportsman. I swam a strong pace right to the end - pace just right not too out of breath at T1
What would you do differently?:

Time to start adding some speed work to the swim workouts.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Didn't mess with towel - faster. Very good T1 except for messing with my riding gloves. I wonder if I could put them on once on the bike. I've been practicing running with the bike, and mounting. Pracitce paid off. No socks in bike shoes - good.

I'll practice putting gloves on on bike - see if I can do it safely.
Bike
  • 44m 46s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very pleased with my ride. quite a bit of the time I was over 20mph. My current goal is to be able to ride an average 20mph. Only two guys passed me on the bike. Last year I cannot even count how many passed. I passed one. My legs were tired. I think I should have warmed up the bike prior to the race. Next year (especially if I start as far back again) I'll warm up the bike as soon as the first swimmers hit the water. Effort wise, I don't think I left anything on the table, especially with the headwind in the final leg. Felt strong on the last leg.

Warm up on the bike. This is the first race that I didn't.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I've been practicing my dismount, and I love it. It's just fun to come crusing in and run right off the bike. This transition didn't seem quite as fast. I forgot to take off my riding gloves, and went back to shed them

Take the gloves off before starting the run? Perhaps practice with the gloves.
Run
  • 33m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

I made myself walk a little every 4 minutes during the first two laps. Started easy. The pace was easy, and I could have talked at any time. I kicked it up for the last half mile, and wish I had done that sooner. Finished quite strong. I probably ran a pace that I could have done a 10K at. Mid second lap, walked about a minute with a first timer on her first lap. I needed the break, and I hope I encouraged her. Think my pace was sub 10 min mile. Whoo Hoo! that was the next goal. And that was with walking and taking it easy. 9 min miles here I come.

Pick up the pace earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked 1/4 mile over to pick up bike. Swam ~800 yds.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speed training. Glove issue. Run experience this season.

Event comments:

The course is very nice, the park is sceinic - especially with all the rain we've had, and traffic support was very good. The pool was not cold. and they fed us afterwards. Events were on time and everything was well organized. Good race.

Last updated: 2007-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 500 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/89
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and top
Course: zig zag in pool ducking under lane marker every 50 yards. Usually only two people in a lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:46 | 13.67 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Flat to slightly rolling. Well patroled, and traffic stopped at all the major intersections. Very nice out and back with a very good devided highway type turn around. Wind was quite strong on the final leg back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:33:16 | 03.11 miles | 10m 42s  min/mile
includes T2 I think. by my watch I was 29 min run.
Course: Three loops around the park. Mostly on concrete sidewalk, two short flat wide dirt trails.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-04 9:46 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: Tall City Triathlon

2007-08-04 9:59 PM
in reply to: #913671

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: Tall City Triathlon
Great job with the swim and transitions!  It's amazing how much time you can save with fast transitions.  Keep up the good work and before you know it you'll be mowing people down on the run too! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tall City Triathlon Rss Feed