United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not too much excitement here. Got up, showered, and headed for the race. One thing though, that I NEVER do, I had a McDonalds breakfast with a large OJ on the way to the race. Hmmmm.
Event warmup:

Got bused across the bridge in school buses. Pulled the wetsuit on, then waited for the Masters National OW championship swimmers to start. After they started, got in and swam a little, but not too much. Said goodbye and good luck to my sister who did the swim also, and swam out to the start line.
Swim
  • 56m 30s
  • 3098 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

My brother (Soretaint) and I kind of inadvertently ended up at the front of the start line. We were on the left, next to the bridge, which was good for navigation the whole swim.
At the start horn, took off and just cruised for a little bit, but felt like I was going pretty fast. Passed the 1/4 mile marker on the bridge at 7 minutes, not real fast but it felt like it didn't take that long. Somewhere about here, I got on a guy's feet and started drafting, slapping his feet every so often. Pretty soon I pulled up on his right side...and it was my brother, John! I knew about the pace he'd be swimming so I settled in beside him and kept pace. Pretty soon I had a slower swimmer in front of me so instead of going farther to the right and maybe losing contact with John, I slid back behind him and came around to his left. Now he could see my beside him. We kept going like this until around the 3/4 mile marker. I was still feeling really good so I started to pull a bit harder and I was surprised to see I was pulling ahead of John. At the 1 mile mark, a little over 31 minutes, I ramped it up another notch and pulled a little farther ahead of him. After the end of the bridge you swim along a rock jetty in fairly shallow water and there's a row of underwater rocks that lead right to the finish line. So I just got on the inside of this row of rocks and started going for it. I lost John out of my peripheral vision and I didn't know if he was behind me or coming up on my right side so I just kept digging. I passed a couple other guys in my age group in here too so there was plenty of incentive to keep going.
Swam into the finish chute and got across the line one person ahead of John. Probably the only time I'll ever beat him in a swim. It was great knowing he was there the whole race though and being able to swim so close with him. He's the one who pulled me along and kept me motivated to keep pushing!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. By far my best OWS at a longer distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some food that was provided for the swimmers and hung out waiting for my sister to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Might have been faster with a decent breakfast!

Event comments:

This is a fun swim in a gorgeous lake. Super clear, clean water that was pleasantly warm today. The race organization wasn't that great, with the race starting about 1/2 hour late and their timing system needs some work but it's ok. All in all a fun day.

Last updated: 2007-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:56:30 | 3098 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Speedsuit
Course: Straight swim along the Long Bridge, into Sandpoint, ID. At the end of the bridge, there's about 3/4 mile along a rock jetty into the finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-04 11:26 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: The Long Bridge Swim

2007-08-05 6:56 AM
in reply to: #913709

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: The Long Bridge Swim
Awesome swim Stan!!  I can't believe you had McBreakfast! Ick!!
2007-08-05 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA
Great swim, good job.
2007-08-06 3:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Awesome swim Stan - really enjoyed reading your RR too.  That's cool that you got to swim with your brother, and I like your decision making when you ran up on the slower swimmer there while you were next to your brother.

Looking good for your Ironman later this year!

2007-08-06 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ

Really nice swim! That sounds like a great time.

2007-08-07 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Nice swim!  Fun that you and your brother and your sister were out there together!  Congrats!

2007-08-07 12:15 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA

Congrats to completing you best long OWS to date! Must be a good confidence booster for IM Florida.

2007-08-07 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
great swim Stam...what do you mean a better breakfast that is the breakfast of champions...lol
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Long Bridge Swim Rss Feed