General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM feet gain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-08-18 11:23 AM
in reply to: #930438

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: IM feet gain
I've ridden imoo several times and 3700 is not correct. Sorry....way to many hills. Especially with midtown road and timber lane being ridden twice.

The ride out of Madison and back into Madison is really the only flatish section, the 40 mile Verona loop is just all ups and downs. Did you map the loop twice? Now that I think about that climb into Mt Horeb is a b*tch too....

Edited by running2far 2007-08-18 11:39 AM

2007-08-18 1:47 PM
in reply to: #914829

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=29133

The route tracker is almost dead on my altimeter on all of my rides around here. I'll be surprised in 3 weeks if it is actually more.

I have done a couple centuries with over 5000' of climbing and the hills were relentless. I rode 80 miles today with a triathlete that is doing IMMOO for the third time and did 4500' of climbing. He said that what we did today was more than the MOO course.

After watching the SimplyStu video I would believe 3700', the hills just don't look anywhere near as bad as what I ride here in upstate NY. 

2007-08-18 2:53 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
What does the racermate site say IM Larzarate and IM Canada are? I'm sort of surprised about IMFL. There were some rolling hills the first half in particular but nothing big. Well I guess noone can say that race is flat as a pancake.

Of course hills are all about where and when you hit them. Consider the Boston Marathon is a substantial net evelation drop but all every talks about is Heartbreak Hill cause of where it is on the course.
2007-08-24 12:52 PM

I hate to say it, but I have to agree with the responses citing more elevation gain. I have found a TON of sources in the past months and talked to people who have done this route over and over again. (I have also seen Stu's review -- what a great resource!) All of the estimates are between 6,500 and 7,300 feet of gain. Plus, the elevation charts that produce these results are spot on with the profiles provided by IM. An example,

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/accept.mb;jsessionid=...

I wish it were fewer feet of gain, but I'm going to toe the line anticipating 7,000 total. And I agree, the steeper hills don't look intimidating on the videos of the course, but looks can be deceiving!

With that said, the body does amazing things and any hill climbing in your training will pay dividends out there. Really the only reason to worry about elevation now is in considering the right gearing setup for your bike and possibly bumping up your caloric intake. Otherwise, it's really less about the elevation charts and more about mental preparation. Concentrate on the training you have worked hard for and the skills you've developed. And GOOD LUCK!

IM Able
im-able.blogspot.com
2007-08-24 12:55 PM

OOps, sorry...probably should have been more specific. I'm only talking about IM Wisconsin.
2007-08-24 1:07 PM
in reply to: #939282

User image

over a barrier
The steep one on Timber Lane (called B*tch hill) is the toughest of the step climbs. Its the second of the three sisters. Its the hill that has the hose for cyclist at the top for a point of reference.

The step stuff on Garfoot and Witte aren't that bad....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM feet gain Rss Feed  

of 2