General Discussion Triathlon Talk » At what point should you commit to ironman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-07 8:25 PM

User image

Novi, MI
Subject: At what point should you commit to ironman?
Just finished 1st HIM non-stop (no walking during the run), but don't think I could do IM non-stop. Am confident I could FINISH IM with splits of 1:30, 7:00 and 5:00 (walk/run last 1/2 - 2/3 of marathon) totalling around 13:30-14:00. Is it ok to go into race planning to run/walk the marathon, or is that cheating? No disrepect meant, but I wouldn't want to avg 20 min miles during an 8 hr marathon walk just to say I completed ironman...???

What do you all think?

Thanks,
John

Edited by jwright44 2007-08-07 8:25 PM

2007-08-07 8:44 PM
in reply to: #917364

New user

Eastern USA
Subject: RE: At what point should you commit to ironman?
Plenty of people run/walk or just walk the marathon.
2007-08-07 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
You never know how your body will react. I had the same time goals that you have except I cramped, bad, and had to walk the whole 2nd half of the marathon. Im still am Ironman, and sorry if you dont feel that it qualifies.

I think you will be ok if you register, but its a big difference going froma half to a full.
2007-08-07 9:10 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

I agree with Matt.  You go into your first IM with the basic goal of finishing, unless you're an accomplished triathlete at other distances.  You never know what's going to happen during the race and until you've gone 10 hours +, nutrition is just a guess.  Rich Strauss from Endurance Nation gave a talk on strategy before IMLP and IMCDA this year.  At IMLP, he said, "those that don't plan on walking some of the IM marathon, have never done an IM marathon."  I think almost everyone walked at least the water stops.  I'm sure this advice was directed at first timers and that people with a lot of IM experience don't follow it but it made sense to me, a first timer.

Ernie

2007-08-07 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
You can plan whatever you want, but you'll still almost certainly walk some. You might as well get used to the idea now, so that you'll know how to handle it. Plus, run/walk strategies are best implemented early, before you start to feel really bad. So, go ahead and plan it.
2007-08-07 9:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I used to think I wouldn't do a IM until I could swim and run a certain pace and was fit enough to not expect to walk the marathon.

I've changed my thinking 180 degrees by being part of BT for 4 years now and listening, reading and watching the training of many BTers. You can never train for every possibility you are out there just to long. Most folks do walk part of the Mary.

I doubt I'd be as fast as you estimate you might be...but I'll be competing as a 47 year old women. For me know it is about the challenge of training, preparing and getting to the starting line healthy to do my best on July 20th. I know I'll be doing some walking...I have found that I am faster when I do run/walk and the goal is to be as fast as possible.

The time estimate I read in Friel's TTB is good IM is 5x the time of your best Oly that puts me at 15 hours. Hey if I finish and I had fun and did my best given the circumstances of that day, I hope I'd be pleased that I was an Ironman.

2007-08-07 9:42 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I trained to run/walk the marathon and I'm an Ironman just the same 6:16 for my first marathon doing a 3 min run/1 min walk doesn't seem to bad to me.
2007-08-08 5:45 AM

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

Look at the times from any IM marathon.  I would say that very few people really run the run. 

2007-08-08 7:42 AM

User image

Novi, MI
Great points everyone. I would never take ANYTHING away from someone who attempts ironman (finish or not). Even those that don't finish commit to the training and schedule required just to get to the start. I feel much better about things now, knowing it is common to go into it with the plan of run/walking so much. Again, I meant no offense to those who do it, since I admit I would certainly have to.
2007-08-08 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Well so far I havent ready any race report, or word of mouth report, that anyone really makes it through their first IM without having to walk some. I know people who dont want to do a IM until they feel more confident that they wont walk some of the marathon, and I always think to myself they may never do one then, because 5 hrs vs 15 hrs is all bets are off no matter what you *think* will happen.
2007-08-08 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME

Before you commit to an IM, I think you need to figure out what you want to get out of an IM and what are your goals in the sport.

One of the cool things about this sport is that there are as many different reasons why someone commits to an IM or any tri-related goal as there are athletes in this sport. And none of those reason are any better or worse that any other.

Once you figure out why you want to race or participate, then figure out if the commitment needed to meet that goal is worth it. If the answer is yes, then go for it.

Personally, I have held off on doing an IM race until I feel I can race for a Kona spot. I may never feel that I'm ready and therefore never race one, but that is life. Other things in this sport and in my life are more valuable and important to me than finishing an IM in under 17 hours. Many, if not most, others feel differently than me and I respect and admire that position as well.

2007-08-08 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
jwright44!

This is (in my opinion) a good question....I think there are a couple of things that you may consider (in no order of importance)! (No need to answer them here....I'm just throwing out some items for your personal reflection.)

1) Do you have the discipline to focus on training for an IM?

2) Have you nailed your nutrition at the HIM? (For me that is important due to being diabetic)

3) Do you have the time to train?

4) Why do you want to do or race an IM?

5) Do you know how to race a "smart race"? (Be able to identify changing conditions and adapt!)

6) Do you have the appropriate amount of financing (it's the banker in me) for the equipment, the trip, the registration fees, the support team, etc. ?

I'm sure there are many more questions.......it is way cool to say "I'm training for an Ironman"....but, there are some things that you need to look at before you "commit"!

If you do "commit", BEST of LUCK!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » At what point should you commit to ironman? Rss Feed