General Discussion Triathlon Talk » catching you up Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-11 2:00 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: catching you up
This past year (my first one in triathlon) has been a very fulfilling and educational one.

Last August, I competed in my first triathlon w/a triathlete friend. I was 20 pounds overweight and was a pack-a-day smoker for two years.

I finished behind nearly everyone and promised myself I would get back into shape circa competitive swimming days. I couldn’t believe how I let my body slide for so many years.

I quit smoking after that and began running every morning. One slight problem-I could only run a few blocks at a time, before I was relegated to walking. Shin splints soon ensued!

This pattern continued for a few weeks before I was able to slowly jog for 20 min.

I began to swim again. My only problem was that I had no idea how to properly train for triathlon. Old school swimming philosophy of “leave everything in the water” does not translate into this sport. I began to over train and had problems sleeping with a heart that was continuously racing.

I joined this forum and learned so much from all of you.

I read everything and anything on the sport and bought my first hrm (Nike Triax, now using Polar 720si) last fall.

Slowly, the pounds began to melt away and I began to build a strong aerobic base.

Placed 2nd in my AG in my B priority triathlon in May, and ran the Buffalo marathon two weeks later.

Hired a coach to guide me for my A priority race/peak race in August.

Trained 12x/week for 3 months, enjoyed my first proper taper, and won my AG.

Now looking fwd. to IM CDA next summer.

A picture chronology of my first season :-)

2nd place AG
title or description

After the Buffalo marathon-9 months after my last cigarette!
title or description

Meeting my favorite pro triathlete, 3x IM World Champ, Peter Reid at the Columbia Triathlon in MD.
title or description

Hopping out of t1 at my peak race of the year in August
title or description

Preparing for dismount
title or description

Running
title or description

My father and me after the awards ceremony
title or description

I hope all newbies realize that chances are, if you’re just starting out, you are in much better shape then I was.

Some tips for newbies that I learned along the way:

1. If you’re truly serious about the sport and want to maximize your potential, get a coach. I was hardheaded and as a result, paid a prize. I was what you call, a “January champion.” My lack of understanding early on with the nuances and details of training resulted in me peaking far too early in the year. I’m sure many of you can relate to this-when you feel great for a certain period of time, and then your body slowly gives way. Getting a coach (even if only to build your ATP or workout schedule) is one of the best investments one can make.

2. Read everything you can get your hands on. Read different forums, read every book out there, watch videos..keep learning. I own about 8 IM videos and still refer to them on refreshers such as cadence, body form, nutrition, motivation, ects.

3. Make friends with your local tri shop. These people love to talk shop, and when you need the extra attention, if they are aware of your desire to learn, they WILL go the extra mile for you. My first real triathlon bike was a Fuji Newest road bike that I modified with Profile Carbon X bars. I then upgraded after a few months to a Cervelo dual and the local tri shop guy worked with me with the pricing.

4. You don’t need the fancy stuff. Proper technique, training, will out perform the lightest, most aerodynamic equipment out there.

5. On the same note, if you can afford it, treat yourself to the bike or accessory you want. Sometimes, it’s the little things that make us happy and give us a bit more confidence.

6. You would be surprised at how little of intensity training we need to prepare for a race. It’s much more important to build your base and aerobic engine then interval sessions. Your body only a needs a few weeks of intensity training sessions to peak. Don’t forget-train slower to get faster!

7. Be weary of spinning classes. I might get slack for this, but this has been my experience as well as guidance from top coaches. Spinning classes can be great for cadence and form work, however, when you get your hr out of Z1 or 2, you could be pushing the intensity level which could lead to peaking early.

8. Feed your body properly. I lost a bit too much weight this past year and was far too calorie conscious. Be more concerned with portion control and don’t be afraid to constantly graze on fresh fruits, cottage cheese, ects. throughout the day. You don’t make your fitness gains when you exercise, but when you rest and recover. If you don’t fuel yourself with the right foods at the right times, you won’t make the gains you’re looking for.

9. Don’t forget to strength train, particularly during the off season. A proper periodization program throughout the year can take you to the next level.

10. Sleep! We all have problems with this, but making sure you get that extra hour will lead to far more effective training and recovery.

Edited by trilover 2004-10-11 2:01 PM

2004-10-11 2:25 PM
in reply to: #71252

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: catching you up

I wondered what happened to you!  Great tips.

Weren't you planning on doing IM AZ?

2004-10-11 2:42 PM
in reply to: #71263

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
hey COgirl, i was, however i wanted to develop as big of a base as possible and increase my strength training, which led to my decision for CDA. any plans for you?
2004-10-11 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
England

Thanks for a great summary of a great year for you by the sounds of things.

I hope the 'train slow to get faster' approach really works as I've been at it for months now and while I have built a much improved base endurance, I'm hoping it will translate to much improved times over my initial races this year! Not sure I'll ever place in my AG but if I keep improving then that will be enough for me!

2004-10-11 2:53 PM
in reply to: #71271

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
keep the faith because it works. not only will you run at a faster clip per mile with a stronger base, but other variables such as improved recovery time, less stress on your joints and bones, min. degredation to the immune system will play an important factor into your training.
2004-10-11 5:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
trilover, thanks for your thoughts. I'm also working on slowing down and hoping to see some results next year. Congrats on your great year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » catching you up Rss Feed