Camp Pendleton, California
United States
Y-Events
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove out at 4:30 a.m. from L.A. Ate 2 sl. bread w/PB and a Starbucks Double Shot Lite. Slept 2.5 hrs nite before b/c housesitting; on feet most of day before.
Event warmup:

Walked down to trans area and up and down (at least a mile altogether, on a concrete grade). Tugged wetsuit on w/plenty of PAM. About 500m in the water.
Swim
  • 09m
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was one of the first in the water on the run and one of the first out. Unfortunately meant I was in scrum the whole time; 1st stretch, woman in front kept zigzagging--soon as I pulled alongside to pass she'd plow into me, then knocked goggles off my face, so I quickly adjusted, caught up and swam over her (sorry). Not her fault but if you're that fast a swimmer, learn to swim straight. Rounded buoys very closely. Sighting perfect as usu. Had a 10-20s dizzy spell halfway through. So short course, never did get a chance to stretch out and swim, b/c of swimmers and also waves. Caught one in but stopped short, about to smash into someone already upright, so wave washed over me.
What would you do differently?:

Get out there and fight through. Not aggressive enough to command and keep spot on short swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

As got out of water, realized did NOT want to do the long run on soft sand with heavy wetsuit (many were pulling off in water), but I didn't have the practice or finesse to do it quickly. Sat on sand to pull off one leg at a time, carried it over sand. Annoying. Ran all the way into trans area and spot. Followed trans instrux (I print them out) to the letter. Fast out.

NO WETSUIT on short crowded course in warm water. CONFIDENCE: next time, no hesitation off rack (kept feeling I forgot something) and just hop on bike off the run. Plenty time to clip in.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 18.64 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Very pleased as have gone from downright $hitty on bike to being OK. Got passed by many but passed many also, usu. on hills, excellent at them, love them. Sped up when I passed the Taco Bell sign (mmm ...). Honked turtle horn at photographer as leaving trans area, he laughed so hard couldn't take pic. Broke 30mph and the speed limit. :) Waste lots of time reaching down for gears and bottles and usually stop pedaling to do so. Unf. just as warmed up, loose, in groove, nearly over.

CAMELBACK when affordable. Learn to ride with 1 hand. Lots more shifting practice. Eventually, trans. to aerobars (notice big dif. in performance when in aero on a stationary. Just sayin'.)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Bike handling skills inc. in trans need work. Couldn't recall how to rack a bike. Effen lace locks on shoes got all tangled up, pulled 'em off and tied regular.
Run
  • 36m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Same as bike--just got going and it was done. Walked very little (ran all runnable segments of tri) <3 min. Legs felt fine, not bricklike, powered up long initial grade (hardest part of run). However, whole body felt heavy as it always does starting out any runs, and this one was very short. Only slightly loose and stretchy towards end and into finish.

Maybe some track workouts to boost short-distance speeds. Get that lace lock thing down, or just abandon since I use butterfly lacing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for 5-10 min, stuffing oranges and bananas in fruit-hole, then ran back down course to find friend and ran in with her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Long stressful week, on feet a lot, not enough sleep. Transition logistics. Lack of speed-focused training. General comment: don't think sprints are my distance. In nearly every workout I feel much stronger after 2-3 hours and can really kick in then (in running, even longer). In this race (as most) negative splits, here, very much so b/c such short distance. Did not feel able to blow my wad, frustrated, in fact, b/c just as got going each event, and race, was over. I am really looking forward to Oly and then training for HIM.

Last updated: 2007-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 500 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: O'Neill sleeveless tri
Course: 200/100/200 rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 18.64 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back. As described, 1st 1/4 mod. hilly; 1/2 flat/roller, last 1/4 same as 1st. Very very nice. Beautiful. Glad I had computer as no mile markers. Course very well staffed. Only 1 water station though.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:36:00 | 03.11 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Loop through industrial/hangar areas of base, kinda ugly and hot, made up for by very cute and hot Marines giving hi-5s.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-11 7:01 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon

2007-08-13 11:22 AM
in reply to: #922338

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon
Great job! Sorry we couldn't hook up, hopefully there will be a next time. Keep up the good work!!
2007-08-14 1:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-15 10:42 AM

Master
Knightdale/Raleigh
Great race! Especially the swim! How can you like hills! They break me every time!
2007-09-18 10:14 AM

New user

As for the drink problems I would suggest getting the drink system made by profile designs that fits inbetween your aero bars. That is if you have aero bars. If not, that would be the other upgrade I would make. It is the cheapest most effective way to get a bit more speed. Good luck when you do your half iron next year. I can't wait for next years tri season and my first half iron as well. Keep up the good work.

Matt
2007-09-18 10:25 AM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Congrats on the finish!

Longer races will give you opportunities to work through some of the other issues that plague you in sprint distances, that is for sure.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Camp Pendleton Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed