Ironhead Race Productions
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 03m 36s
Overall Rank = 75/110
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Denneys French slam night before. Not much sleep - the two girls in the next room stayed up talking and watching TV till 2:00am. up at 4:30am. stretch. eat orange, two hard boiled eggs, shreaded miniwheats. hot tea. shower. got to race venue at 6:00.
Event warmup:

body marked - warm up on bike ~2 miles, racked bike and set up transiton. 5 minute run for a little wamup. Swam~25 yards just prior to start to warm up swim.
Swim
  • 32m 34s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was fine. The river is quite wide enough to accomidate all the swimmers. Visibility is about to the end of your fingertips, which makes drafting tricky. I was run into several times, and bumped three or four. No big deal on any of the bumps. I tried to draft, but couldn 't see well enought to stay with my puller. Coming back was very difficult just because sighting was impossible in the sun. I used the right hand bank and other swimmers, but swam some zig zag. I ended up on the wrong side of one of the bouys, but the guys in the boat yelled and I was able to correct before passing it.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up a little more. Train the distance more.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

I was real pleased with my T1 time. They required us to wear the run number for the bike, so that added a couple of seconds, but 1 min is right up there with the fastest. I put my riding gloves on after mounting the bike. Seemed to work well - better than in T1

perhaps run faster with the bike?
Bike
  • 1h 22m 16s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I was real pleased with the progress I've made in speed. My average was over 18mph - good for me. I did push it some and don't believe I left anything on the table. I did have to back off a few times to get some strength back. The downhill return off the spilway was awesome. up to 29mph. Whoo Hoo! Lots of riding at 27. I think the warmup helped (compared to the last race) I also think the longer distance suits me better. I really got going after about 8 or 9 miles.

Keep working on training. I've got to start being more serious about chasing the fast guys out of town on Wednesdays. Add more speed work to workouts. I'd like to cut 20 minutes off that time. I was not able to take the gels I had planned on. Took part of each - just didn't want them. After doing a gel - put the empty in my back pocket rather than back in the bento box. makes a mess.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

my socks got knocked off the shoes, I put one on backward and had to take it off and re-do it. Everything else went as planned. I took a second to dump some water on myself before heading out on the run

maybe socks in the running shoes instead of on the toes. Don't take time for the water
Run
  • 1h 06m 1s
  • 6.35 miles
  • 10m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

For the training I've put in I was well pleased. I'm firmly in the 10 min pace even with walking 1 min out of 5 plus or minus. I made myself walk quite a bit especially in the first mile. Aide stations were wonderfully frequent - almost one per mile. I took two cups at each - drank just a little and dumped the rest on myself. That really helped. I alternated between an easy pace and a faster one. At the end I picked it up for the last mile, but didn't have enough to do the whole thing hard. - effort just about right.

Train more. Take a gel with me on the run. I think I just ran out of energy. I believe my plan to take a gel just before the end of the bike was a good one - I opened it and took one mouthful - just didn't want more.
Maybe I should try some beans or something not so messy, and which can be taken in smaller doses?
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around. Two banannas. lots of gator aide and water. stretch a little, swim a couple hundred yards, and cool off in the river.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly just training. And speed training. But I'm happy I got to this point, I just still have lots more to do.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race. Well organized and a good venue. I really like OWS. It would be nice if they could pull this one off early enough to not swim into the sun.

Last updated: 2007-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:34 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 50/110
Performance: Average
Suit: Trishorts and top
Course: Up the river to the bridge, around the bouey and back. Coming back was directly into the rising sun. I couldn't see a thing.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:16 | 24.85 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 84/110
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with only a couple of good turns. Very well policed. Some traffic, but they were all courteous. Fairly flat with a couple of hills. The hill up to the 'spillway' is steep - first gear for me.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:06:01 | 06.35 miles | 10m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 84/110
Course: Dirt road through the park, shady and seinic. Then the 'dirt road from hell' It's a wide dirt road, sometimes packed and sometimes dusty/sandy. Out and back - rolling with just a couple of good hills. Hot and arid with no appreciable shade. However they had water about every mile (apparently there was an accidental extra water station which was well appreciated)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-12 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: IRP Wool Capital Triathlon

2007-08-12 8:43 PM
in reply to: #922861

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
Subject: RE: IRP Wool Capital Triathlon

Looks like you had a great race. Like I said, I really wanted to do it, and reading your race report makes me even more disappointed. Maybe next year.

Way to go!

2007-08-12 9:42 PM

Elite

Way to go Jasha!

2007-08-13 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

Woop Woop!!!! Great job on those transitions!

I got my Denny's fix post tri last time. Couldn't stop craving pancakes!

2007-08-13 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Hey there! I didn't know you came to this website, I was just thinking I didn't meet any people from BT at the race. But I guess I did(I was the kid with the sandwich before the awards)!

2007-08-16 7:01 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
AWESOME race!  Keep at it!  It sounds like you took your lessons learned and you're ready to move with them!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IRP Wool Capital Triathlon Rss Feed