Nevis Civic and Commerce
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 18s
Overall Rank = 108/238
Age Group = 30-34 F
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

Once again we didn't get into the hotel until pretty late the night before (11:30 pm), so it was a relatively short sleep before getting up at about 6:00. Had a quick breakfast of english muffin with pb, and headed off to the race.

We didn't get there as early as other years, and because of that we were right next to the port-a-potties in transition. Stinky! Oh well. Anyway, we set up our spots, got body marked, and chatted briefly with Ben (benihana) and David (B-One).
Event warmup:

I got in the water before anyone else and started swimming around a bit. I actually asked the lifeguard if I was even allowed in the water yet, since I was the only person in it. Not sure why no one else was warming up before the prerace meeting, but I continued on my merry way anyway. After a little while a few more people trickled in. I probably swam about 300 yards or so. Listened to the prerace meeting, introduced myself the Mike (decked out in his BT gear), and waited for my wave.
Swim
  • 07m 58s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good solid swim. Once again, nothing particulary good or bad here. The water was very warm (my 72 degrees is just a guess), but I decided to go with the wetsuit anyway after re-reading my race report from last year. My wave was ages 34 and under, so I was surrounded by a bunch of high school swim team girls, many of which were part of relay teams. Boy, did I feel old and slow!

Tried to get away from the pack in a hurry, rounded the buoys ok, and swam back in to shore. Short and sweet.
What would you do differently?:

Just let the high school girls go first. One of them just about drown me trying to get by me.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Not a great transition. Wetsuit stuck on timing chip AGAIN. I also decided to wear socks for this race because I didn't want to risk a blister just before my oly next weekend. So, that took some time. And than, I realized my sunglasses were still in my tri bag! DOH. I had forgotten to put them in my helmet like I usually do. It was overcast, so I immediately decided to ride without them and hope I didn't take a bug in the eye (I didn't). I just didn't want to take the time to fish around in my bag for them.

Remember my sunglasses.
Bike
  • 47m 30s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Very strong, good ride for me, especially considering the only thing working on my bike computer was the cadence meter. Not sure why that was, since the rest of it worked just fine before the race. Anyway, I had no idea how fast I was going as I rode; I was going by cadence and feel alone and it worked pretty well. I must have passed about 15 people on this ride (including the youngster swimmer who nearly drown me at the swim start), which is probably a record for me. The wind was pretty unforgiving for the first four miles or so, but after that it was ok. I felt good throughout and am very happy with the ride.

Nothing. This is my fastest avg speed to date.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Better tranisition here, thankfully. Helmet off, bike shoes off, run shoes on, grab visor and race number, and off I went.

Nothing
Run
  • 30m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

A PR run for this course, so I'm happy with that. Not so happy with the 10/15 AG rank, but oh well. I was pleasantly surprised that I felt really good well into the second mile. The third mile was not as much fun, but I was happy to not feel like death until past the halfway point anyway. The fact that it was overcast really helped me today, since I tend to overheat so easily. I just kept telling myself to keep my strides short and quick, and to lean into it. No IT band issues either--bonus!

Not much on this particular run. Continue to work on fitness and endurance in general, as usual.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately slammed some water and Gatorade since I purposely didn't drink anything on the run (to avoid my typical side stitch). Talked with husband (who beat me by 45 seconds, of course), David, and Ben, and waited for results (4th in AG!--so close to actual hardware, but alas, no.) A small bit of stretching, but not much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run, my weight

Event comments:

Very nice race again this year. It's nice how they whip through the awards so quickly so that everyone can get going. Congrats to David and Ben on their awards! Nice to meet you Mike!

Last updated: 2007-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:58 | 440 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 37/238
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: Counter clockwise triangle for the most part
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:16
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:30 | 14 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 114/238
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:14 | 03.11 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/15
Overall: 161/238
Course: Flat out and back on paved trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-13 8:09 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Northwoods Triathlon

2007-08-13 8:15 AM
in reply to: #923284

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Northwoods Triathlon
4th in age group!  That is awesome Kelly, way to go.  Sounds like you guys had a great race up there.  I may have to add this one to my list next year.  Great job once agin, you should be very proud.
2007-08-13 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Blaine, MN

you are soo fast in the water...  CONGRATS...  72 degrees... thats cold isn't it ? 

2007-08-13 10:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Great Job Kelly. You looked strong when I saw you racing. You should be very proud, podium for you next time .

Mike
2007-08-13 11:40 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Nice job!! Sounds you you really enjoyed the race.  Great splits all the way around.  Congrats
2007-08-13 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Congrats on a great race! Good to hear no ITB issues - that's a HUGE bonus!  And 2nd in AG for both swim & bike!  Wowee!

2007-08-13 3:40 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Congrats Kelly!  Sounds like you had a VERY strong race.  You'll hit that podium soon.

Enjoy taper for your Oly this weekend!

2007-08-14 9:09 AM
in reply to: #924245

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Kelly - you did great!  Wow, it sounds like a great race for you all around.  Good job.  I think it's a good sign for next weekend...
2007-08-15 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Excellent race! Your swim was great as always, and your bike and run just keep getting better. Especially good to hear you had no ITB issues. You are sooooooo ready for your Oly.

Edited by amschrod 2007-08-15 7:54 AM
2007-08-24 11:40 AM

User image

Nice race.. I always enjoy this race the best.. probably because the run is so flat!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Northwoods Triathlon Rss Feed