General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jackson, Georgia
United States
tri blue sky
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 36s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/45
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:45 after a good sleep. I got a cup of coffee, two pieces of PB and honey toast. Drank a 20 oz sports drink on the way to the race. Easy drive down to the park. I should not drive that fast.
Event warmup:

I setup my transition area, relaxed in the car and did some visualization of the event. About a half hour from start, I swam some to get the blood flowing.
Swim
  • 12m 43s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I made sure I was up front and got clear water right away. About 150 yards, I had a little panic attack and could not get moving. I forced myself to relax and got into a rhythm. I moved forward and starting passing people. Everyone bunched up at the last buoy and I lost time. I wish people would just swim around them! I got out towards the front of the 40's.
What would you do differently?:

I need to relax at the start and sprint harder on the first 200. I think I am going to start doing longer sets and maybe OWS work outs.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

dropped 30 seconds from last race. I stayed relaxed and went thought the check list of things. All good until I pull the bike off the rack. As I spun around to head out, the bike slipped and fell over. My water bottle fell out and I did not notice. No sports drink for the bike! I thought I did better this time, but compared to others, I am still slow on the swim to bike. My rack space was the worst. I had to go the furthest of anyone with cleats on. I am sticking with that excuse.

Not drop my bike. re-think this transition some.
Bike
  • 41m 55s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 19.61 mile/hr
Comments:

It took a few minutes to get my cycling legs going. I felt good and only the serious tri people passed me. I did not hold back as much this time, or so I thought. I had some good hammer sections and push every down hill to get time back from slower up hill sections. I yo-yo'ed with three people and it helped all three of us keep the pace up. In the end, I rode exactly the same pace as Indian Springs. Very frustrating. During the race, I thought I was doing better.

Not having my water bottle was not a disaster, but I would have been in better shape for the run. I need to work on shorter TT efforts more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I nailed this one. I could not have gone faster. Long walk from entrance to rack location. It slowed me down walking in bike cleats. I was organized and progressed through helmet off, change shoes, putting number belt, grab hat, and leave for the run.

Nothing. Start going some track work with cleats on!
Run
  • 30m 27s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This run sucked. Only 4 guys in my age group ran slower which is just not acceptable. I am really upset with my run performance. I wanted to show improvement and did not. I could not turn over the legs quick enough to hold a good pace. My heart rate was exactly where I wanted it (high 160s) I am not going to use the lack of water bottle on the ride as an excuse. As a result of the bad run, I lost at least 5 or 6 placing slots.

run faster! I am still at the beginning of my running "career". While I have never run before, I expected better progress by now. I am starting to wonder if I have a metal block.
Post race
Warm down:

Found some shade and allowed my HR to return to normal. Drank two water bottles, ate a banana, orange, and a few cookies. Gathered up my stuff and loaded up the car. I stopped by the 1st Choice Healthcare Center. They stretched out my shins and calves which really need some TLC.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to be mentally stronger on the run. I need to TT strong on the shorter distances. To do it right, you have to hurt yourself. I did not push hard enough on the bike or run. I know I had more in the tank.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed the race. I do wish I knew more people and could add a social element to the events. While it did not go exactly as planned, I feel like it was a step forward. I learned some things and know what I need to work on for Tugaloo and HIM.

Side note, I woke up the day after and felt great. I went for a nice long bike ride. Last race, I was hurting the next day. So, some endurance improvements are showing up.

Last updated: 2007-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:43 | 656 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/45
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: no
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:55 | 13.7 miles | 19.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/45
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:27 | 03.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/45
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly gradual up hill out and down hill back. Viscous hill at the end.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-19 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park

2007-08-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: #931000

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park
Nice looking race. .That 'endurance improvement' you mention is a sure sign you are well on your way and your running legs just kind of show up after you do these races for a while.

Congrats and good luck with the next one.

c
2007-08-19 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Nice job on the race, James...your RR reminded me of mine in so many places...if I can drop my swim time by a few+ minutes, it looks like we're on a similar plane.  I'd have been ecstatic if my bike avg mph had matched Indian Springs.  I was 20+ there and sub-19 at High Falls...bad, bad, bad...and I'm struggling with my run too...good luck with the rest of your season!!
2007-08-19 6:22 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great RR.  I looks like you pushed yourself through some of the difficult sections.  Keep in mind that the key to getting better in transition is the practice them.  They are the most overlooked part of training.  With a little tweaking, you can save a minute there!   Great race!!!
2007-08-21 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA

Good job on the race.  I had been really feeling bad on the run before, but I started really forcing myself to drink more on the bike and that seems to help.  Maybe you got a little dehydrated because you didn't have your sports drink.

2007-08-21 10:51 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I think you did fine.  Plus the bike course was longer than Indian Springs.  Just practice your Transistion methods and it will become second nature.  Trust me.

We still need to train together since we're so close.  Hopefully you didn't find me too annoying on the run course.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks -- High Falls State Park Rss Feed