The Firm Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 11s
Overall Rank = 133/370
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 8/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 ate whole wheat waffles, banana, and diluted gatorade. Loaded the car and made the 30 min trek to the race. Let the first Tri jitters eat away at me.
Event warmup:

Stretch, light jog, anxiety...lots of anxiety.
Swim
  • 07m 34s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really pleased with the swim but I definately need to work on my breathing an overall rythm. Swim was waste to chest deep the whole way...was about half way done when I passed two guys walking, yeah I said walking during the swim, and they were telling each other jokes...unfortunately one was pretty funny so I started laughing, and what happens when you laugh and swim, yep you got it you swallow water...lots of water. Some how kept swimming through that and trek'd on to the finis.
What would you do differently?:

Breath and keep a good rythm. Also becuase this was my first tri I started in the back...next time I would definately start closer to the front.
Transition 1
  • 05m 45s
Comments:

Estimate, included in bike...

Ok so one thing that I really need to work on is transitions...I just couldn't make decisions, socks vs no socks, shirt vs. no shirt....took way too long to decide. Also need to work on jumping on bike and running with bike.

I can't think of one thing that I wouldn't do differently.
Bike
  • 36m 19s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Due to the fact that the transitions were included into the bike I think that I did better than what is shown. I was only passed a couple of times and most were by elite. I felt that I definately pushed at the right tempo leaving the right amount of fuel left for my legs.

Transition on the bike and off!
Transition 2
  • 06m 20s
Comments:

Estimate...included in run.

Ok so it took me forever to get my socks and shoes on then the kicker...I got about 200yds out of the transition when I realized that I forgot my race belt (looking back I definately should have just kept going I saw several people with no race belt or number) so I turned around went back couldn't find the belt at first after about 30 seconds I found it fumbled putting it on grabbed a squig of water and took off. I would have to say about honestly 50 people maybe more passed me with this mistake, but what are you gonna do...a mistake I won't make again.

Hmmmm...get speed laces, no socks in a short run, and oh yeah PUT ON MY RACE BELT!!!!
Run
  • 25m 16s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a pretty good run...by my watch it took me just over 19 min. to run the course which is a very good pace for me. I did get passed by a few people but ended up catching up to them at the end, but I passed more than I could count.

Not much pushed at a good pace just have a better transition leading into the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got a message, ate some fruit, drank water and enjoyed the moment of crossing the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Preperation in the transitions. Nutritionally I felt that I planned well and took in enough liquids prior as well as during.

Event comments:

Fun race...plenty of support and a great location. Did not like how the swim was in such shallow water..people literally walked the entire swim doesn't make sense to me. On this day I caught a serious case of Triathlitis...I can't wait to get out there again and improve! My next race is at the end of Sept. with a lot of work to do...and who knows I may find my way into one before than it was that much fun.

Last updated: 2007-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:34 | 440 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/17
Overall: 54/370
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Rectangle swim course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:45
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:19 | 10 miles | 16.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 126/370
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: I thought this was a very nice course...rolling and through a park along the bay.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:20
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:25:16 | 03 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/17
Overall: 186/370
Performance: Good
Course: Nice course along the bay with only one small hill...not too bad at all.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-20 7:39 PM

User image

Warwick, RI
Subject: Wild Dog Triathlon

2007-08-20 10:09 PM
in reply to: #933357

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Wild Dog Triathlon

Congrats!

This is the location of my first tri back in 9/2004. Depending on the tide you can either walk the swim or swim the swim.

Great location for a triathlon!

Nice splits..frustrating with no T1 & T2 to really know your times...excellent job! 

2008-07-09 6:04 AM
in reply to: #933357

New user
Subject: RE: Wild Dog Triathlon

Great breakdown of your event. Lots of details. I can't believe that you can actually walk a swim. Are many tris like this? Anyway, I'm thinking of signing up for the Wild Dog but it is just a couple of weeks after Block Island which will be my first tri. Not sure if that is a smart idea yet....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wild Dog Triathlon Rss Feed