Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Best place in the World??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-08-25 5:47 PM

User image

Tallahassee
Subject: Best place in the World???
I am a teacher and I am planning to take a trip for the month of July 2008 somewhere in the world. I want to go to some amazing place but I dont know where I should go. So give me some ideas, what is the best place you have ever been (not just somewhere you would want to stay for a few days but to actually live there for a month). I think Switzerland or Austria would be really cool but I only speak English so Im worried about being there for a month with NO language background. I also thought about Vancouver, its closer to home (Denver) but I am really open to ANYWHERE....

While money is not a huge factor, I am a teacher....

Edited by jbillfsu 2007-08-25 6:02 PM

2007-08-25 6:58 PM
in reply to: #940259

Pro
Subject: RE: Best place in the World???
Ok, I've spent quite a bit of time in a few places, but the appeal of each depends on the person. If you're looking for a city, I'd pick Amsterdam or Paris, but both of those can be pricey.

If you're looking for an experience that would take you out of your world (but not too far), I would suggest touring Thailand. You could spend a week or two on the island Ko Pha Ngan, cruise up the coast by train or bus, hit Bankok for a couple of days and then head North to Chiang Mai/Chian Rai and turning around at Mae Hong Son. If you are amenable to backpacking, your biggest expense will be the flight. It is a very easy country to travel in, quite safe and every week will reward you with new experiences. Like any place, you need to be aware of the scammers who might try to fool you out of your money, but overall it is very safe.

Other possibilities include Broome, Western Australia. July is the perfect time to go.

It really depends what kind of experience you're aiming for.
2007-08-25 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Another suggestion would be Vietnam, generally (excluding flights) the trip can be done reasonably economically and it is also a real eye opener as well as being my absolute favourite trip I have ever taken for the experience

Obviously being from Down Under Id recommend a few places down here... the south Island of New Zealand including Milford Sound, Wanaka, Queenstown and up the West Coast is BEAUTIFUL in winter or summer

In Aussie its winter so like Opus suggested places like Broome that are really too hot other times of the year are a great choice or any of the major cities, the Gold Coast and Noosa... really depends on what kind of holiday you would like to have!

2007-08-25 7:48 PM

User image

Tallahassee
thanks for the ideas, as far as "what kind of experience" I want, I really dont know and am open to anything. One of the things I have been thinking is trying to make the most out of being 23 and being able to travel to anywhere in the world by myself for an entire month...
2007-08-25 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Ireland!  The most beautiful place I've ever seen.  There's so much to see- Dublin, Cork/Cobh, Youghall area, the ring of Kerry, County Clare, the Cliffs of Moher etc, etc.  A lot of the rural families have rooms to stay in overnight.
2007-08-25 8:16 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
If I had a month to travel, no strings attached, I'd hit Europe.  You can get a monthly rail pass and hit a huge share of the continent in a month.   I have always wanted to do that. 

2007-08-25 9:57 PM
in reply to: #940317

User image

Mountain View, CA

tkbslc - 2007-08-25 6:16 PM If I had a month to travel, no strings attached, I'd hit Europe. You can get a monthly rail pass and hit a huge share of the continent in a month. I have always wanted to do that.

I'd second that. You can see a LOT in a month, and hostels can be cheap. When I had a two week pass I went Paris > Milan > Rome > Florence > Venice > Vienna > Munich and back to Paris. Paris, Rome, and Vienna were my favorites. I also recommend Barcelona. I've heard great things about Montenegro, Prague, and Amsterdam.

A bit closer to home: Big Sur or Yosemite. You could also spend a month backpacking on the Pacific Crest Trail or Appalachian Trail, or road tripping around various national parks.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be great.

Edited by puellasolis 2007-08-25 9:58 PM
2007-08-25 10:27 PM

User image

Tallahassee
the big thing Im trying to decide between right now is doing the "checklist trip" a bunch of different places just seeing a few things in each city or going somewhere really different and just taking in the culture and everything for a month. I think both would be cool but Im kinda leaning towards staying in one area for a month... Has anyone had any experience in Cape Town, South Africa or New Zealand in the month of July?
2007-08-26 9:16 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

My kids took tennis lessons with a guy from New Zealand. He was aware we liked to hike and bike and suggested we go there. I've seen a show about the country on Travel channel and it is on our list of " to go" places when both kids get a little bigger. The rail pass in Europe is also an excellent idea and staying in hostels will bring the cost way down. Most Europeans speak english so you shouldn't have any issues there. South east Asia is dirt cheap once you get there. With these ideas you have a year to shop for cheap airfares.

Closer to home I think a trip up through the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and then on up through Glacier and Waterton would be an great experience. You could easily spend a week in each of these parks if hiking is of interest to you. If I had a month I would fly into Vegas and lease a car. Visit the Grand Canyon, then up to Zion and Bryce. Do the downhill bike ride from the top of Bryan Head ski area. Head over to Moab, Arches and Canyonlands. The go on up to Wyoming and Montana. You could then go west and hit Vancouver and run down the west coast. The San Juan Islands are a really nice place to bike around using the ferry system to hop islands. The Olympic Peninsula has an amazing variation of climate and terrain features. South to Crater Lake and on to Tahoe.  Go in to Yosemite , Kings Canyon and Sequoia then meander back over to Vegas. Ahh, to have free month.....Cool

2007-08-26 1:38 PM

Extreme Veteran

Don't let the language put you off visiting anywhere in western Europe.  You might find it a bit more of an issue in eastern Europe but even then you'll be fine in all the major cities - just trickier if you go off the beaten track.

Amsterdam is cool, I go there every week for work but you can't call it the best place in the world by a long chalk.

Personally I'd vote for Bali.  A perfect balance of wonderful, peaceful, loving people, stunning vistas and a country still true to itself (yet to be 'Westernised' apart from one particular area where the aussies go on cheap breaks).

New Zealands south island it also glorious and has a great population.

The monthly rail pass round Europe is not a bad shout but for me, the two idea above beat it hands down.

A last nod Ireland too - a beautiful race and place who are fans of Americans too in the main.

2007-08-26 7:49 PM
in reply to: #940376

User image

Champion
Sydney

jbillfsu - 2007-08-26 1:27 PM the big thing Im trying to decide between right now is doing the "checklist trip" a bunch of different places just seeing a few things in each city or going somewhere really different and just taking in the culture and everything for a month. I think both would be cool but Im kinda leaning towards staying in one area for a month... Has anyone had any experience in Cape Town, South Africa or New Zealand in the month of July?

Im fron New Zealand... (as are a few other BTers) so just let me know what you want to know...

I will say this... it is winter in NZ in July... not a bad thing (a lot of places are much better in winter) but it depends on what kind of holiday you are after! I second the comment abotu the south island... beautiful, lots of fresh air and nature... plenty of places to visit and keep you busy!

Edited by kaqphin 2007-08-26 7:50 PM

2007-08-26 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Ok I'll put a pre warning on this because I'm incredibly biased!  being born and bred a West Aussie,  I will also put my vote in for Western Aust in July,  well the northern regions of West Aust.

depending on what kind of adventure you are looking for.  I would recommend Broome too especially at that time of year, Staircase to the moone is something that you can't describe it has to be seen.http://www.broomewa.com/cam/StaircasetotheMoon.htm

What I actually recommend is a road trip.  starting from Perth (not the greatest weather in July) but working your way up the coast,  stopping at Kalbarri,  beautiful at that time of year,  fishing trip/feed the pelicans/trip through the murchison gorges! (amazing)

then up to Exmouth/shark bay absolutely perfect weather time,  if you like snorkelling or diving, Ningaloo reef in my opinon is one of the wonders of the world,  pristine coral reef, within walking distance of the shore (not sure what season it is, but at different times of the year there are whale sharks, amazing to dive with, or manta rays and humpback whales)  

then on up to Broome and places like Karijini national park.

can guarantee theres no other holiday like it in the world!  not everyones cup of tea but I highly recommend it!

2007-08-27 9:47 AM
in reply to: #941305

Pro
splerph - 2007-08-26 9:53 PM

Ok I'll put a pre warning on this because I'm incredibly biased!  being born and bred a West Aussie,  I will also put my vote in for Western Aust in July,  well the northern regions of West Aust.

depending on what kind of adventure you are looking for.  I would recommend Broome too especially at that time of year, Staircase to the moone is something that you can't describe it has to be seen.http://www.broomewa.com/cam/StaircasetotheMoon.htm

What I actually recommend is a road trip.  starting from Perth (not the greatest weather in July) but working your way up the coast,  stopping at Kalbarri,  beautiful at that time of year,  fishing trip/feed the pelicans/trip through the murchison gorges! (amazing)

then up to Exmouth/shark bay absolutely perfect weather time,  if you like snorkelling or diving, Ningaloo reef in my opinon is one of the wonders of the world,  pristine coral reef, within walking distance of the shore (not sure what season it is, but at different times of the year there are whale sharks, amazing to dive with, or manta rays and humpback whales)  

can guarantee theres no other holiday like it in the world!  not everyones cup of tea but I highly recommend it!

Ha! I did that trip. Btw, I'll be in Perth this November and December.
2007-08-27 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Of Course, China is the largest english speaking country in the world.

Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Beijing, etc. Lots to see and do.

2007-08-27 10:18 AM
in reply to: #941796

Champion
South Jersey

If I had a month to travel, I personally would go to South America and hit Macchu Picchu and the Peruvian Amazon, and then a few other places that would be tough to choose between. I would also stop by Ecuador to visit the little boy I sponsor.

Or, I would go to Africa. I would love to visit the bais in Gabon....but would also have to stop by Victoria Falls.

One of my best friends backpacked alone through Southeast Asia for a month, before returning home after teaching in South Korea for a year. She hit up Thailand, Cambodia, Viet Nam, Laos, etc. Awesome trip -- cheap, easy to travel, etc. Just make sure you're educated on how to travel there before you go.  

Personally, there are a zillion places on this planet I would love to see before traveling to Europe, but that's just me. Many of my friends have lived there (I seriously live a sheltered life compared to my close friends), and I haven't seen anything from their experiences that I would just love to visit or feel I have missed out on.

Good luck. I wish I had that option. But, honestly, at this point in my life, I wouldn't want to give up a month of training...but maybe in a few years, who knows.

2007-08-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: #941305

User image

Master
Denver
splerph - 2007-08-26 7:53 PM

Funny, Broome was my 1st thought too but I didn't think so many people would beat me to it. I did the trip in reverse though, going down the coast, and Perth is one of my favorite cities.

Europe would be much easier to get to, but I wouldn't try & get a rail pass or zip from one sight to the next. If it were me I'd pick out a city, say Paris and spend two weeks there, see the main sights & find some off-the-beaten-track-cool-places and then pick out a small village, say on the Spanish Riviera or Italian hills and spend two weeks there.

2007-08-27 12:21 PM
in reply to: #941939

Pro
drewb8 - 2007-08-27 11:50 AM

Funny, Broome was my 1st thought too but I didn't think so many people would beat me to it. I did the trip in reverse though, going down the coast, and Perth is one of my favorite cities.

Europe would be much easier to get to, but I wouldn't try & get a rail pass or zip from one sight to the next. If it were me I'd pick out a city, say Paris and spend two weeks there, see the main sights & find some off-the-beaten-track-cool-places and then pick out a small village, say on the Spanish Riviera or Italian hills and spend two weeks there.

Yeah, I agree, move less, know fewer places better. I spent a few months in Broome, about 500 metres from cable beach. It was the ultimate bohemian existence.
2007-08-27 2:17 PM

User image

At age 32, I quit my job and traveled for about 6 months, took an around the world trip on one way tickest, mostly solo except for the last 5 weeks in Europe  where my wife met me (yep, I was married, and she let me go).  Visited a few places.  

All depends what you want and how much you can spend.  Traveling will likely be your greatest expense, if you don't mind backpacking.  If I had a month, I'd go back to:

New Zealand - incredible people, diverse landscape between north/south island.  Easy and cheap transportation on those hop on/hop off buses (can't remember the name of the company, but google new zealand backpacking and you'll find them).  Incredible backpacker (i.e., hostel) network. there's a book that rates them all, pretty accurate.

Australia -similar to NZ from a backpacking standpoint, very established networks and routes, rainforest up north ( I love love love the Daintree - I'd go there for 2 weeks alone), beaches east, deserts in the middle (sorry, haven't been west), metropolitan cities south.

SE Asia - much much cheaper, fantastic beaches (full moon parties), Thailand and Malaysia easy to travel in.  Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur is a good base for traveling around.

Middle East - yeah, probably iffy at thei time, but Jordan/Sinai is fantastic. Good for diving (as is SE Asia) if you're into that.

Europe is great.  Easy to travel around, hostel network, etc.  Classic architecture, buildings, history.  Hostels DEFINITELY not as clean as NZ/Aus,

I'd also say pick one or two places and stay there.  Less hectic, get to see and experience more, maybe get to know the locals.

2007-08-27 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, MO
BM (Before Marriage) i took a month and traveled Europe=Munich->Prague->Berlin->Paris->Amsterdam->Rome
It was awesome, should you decide to do Europe get a Eurorail pass, the trains go everywhere. Also no need for rental cars because the subway systems are very good in Europe... but if your looking for one country....my choice would be Italy!! Food, Women, Culture, History, Mediterranean Sea, Women... did i already say that (if your single.... )
Wish i could do it all again, have fun......
2007-08-27 2:51 PM

Pro
This is one of the places I stayed in when I roamed Malaysia, Awi's Yellow House. It's on stilts over a river. Ah, memories.

http://www.journeymalaysia.com/islandduyungawi.htm

2007-08-27 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Depends on what you are looking for:

When I was 22 I jumped on a plane and went to South Korea t train taekwondo for three months. Did not know anyone within 8000 miles. Cool trip, great training. Lived in a dive and had some really cool times. Very safe country.

I also lived in Paris for a month but that was more expensive and, although I had good times and I love France, not as "out there" cool.

Lived in Equador bumming for 1 month and that was fun. The country was unstable at the time (December 1999) but still a lot of lasting memories.

I lived in Kathmandu volunteering at a med clinic for one month and then went and climbed up in the Himalaya for 2 months at the end of med school. That was very cool. Great city, very interesting and the nicest people. Also went down to the Chitwan Jungle of Nepal and rode elephants out to see the rhinos in the jungle. Cool trip and very cheap once you get there.

I would say do something off the beaten path. Get way "out there" and have some adventure. You can always do Europe when you are 30/40/50+ but hiking in Nepal or living in a back water third world dive makes for fun times when you're young and crazy (not that you cannot do those things when you're 60+ but it is very easy when you 20 something without too much trouble).

Just my thoughts,
Buck

2007-08-27 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I'll go off the charts, mostly because I've been off the charts, and I liked it....Three ideas:

1. Paris. There isn't a city in the world with the culture, the history, and the significance of this city. Plus, the locals...if you know a little language...are amazing. You could spend a month in the city and not run out of things to amaze you. And within a day trip are Mont St. Michelle, Normandy (the US invastion beaches and cemetary), and Chartres, the best Cathedral. Ever.
  2. Colorado/Utah. Personal preference here, but there's noplace else I'd rather be than skiing. Standing on top of Breckenridge peak 9 or 10, or even Snowbasin (Utah), or Alta (Utah), looking down at fresh untracked powder, knowing that you're the first person to go there, is the best. Simply the best. Champagne powder, with all the benefits of an american home base to enjoy. It doesn't get much better.
  3. Copenhagen. Denmark is a beautiful country, Copenhagen a beautiful city. Full of beautiful people.  If I could spend a month in any one city in the world, Copenhagen would be it. Amazing nightlife, unbelievable fjords and scenery, there's no weak link here. If you haven't seen Denmark and the landscape, it's unlike anything anywhere else. It's perfect.

2007-08-27 9:34 PM
in reply to: #941772

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Opus - 2007-08-27 10:47 PM
splerph - 2007-08-26 9:53 PM

Ha! I did that trip. Btw, I'll be in Perth this November and December.

Ohh nice time of year to be visiting Perth,  hopefully we are in for a good Summer, winter has been very strange this year.  The tri timetable isn't out yet but should be out soon Nov Dec is pretty muc hthe start of the racing season if you are keen to do any races you might just find one that fits in perhaps?   And also the Ironman is Dec 2nd down in Busselton.

2007-08-27 10:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-08-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: #940316

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
oceanannie - 2007-08-25 9:13 PM

Ireland! The most beautiful place I've ever seen. There's so much to see- Dublin, Cork/Cobh, Youghall area, the ring of Kerry, County Clare, the Cliffs of Moher etc, etc. A lot of the rural families have rooms to stay in overnight.

Aren't you forgetting that lovely city in the north east ?

But yes, Ireland and Northern Ireland are amazing places to go. Great if you enjoy hiking and biking (bike hire can be very cheap). Hostelling is great in Ireland (Dublin can be shady, spend the extra euros on a bed and breakfast). The people are the kindest and most welcoming you will ever find. I know I'm completely biased towards Belfast, but the entire country is amazing and beautiful.

Superfuzz really wants to go to Iceland some day. A classmate of mine in college did a special installation piece about his time in Iceland, and it was absolutely beautiful (both the installation and the pictures of Iceland he included!).
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Best place in the World??? Rss Feed  

of 2