15 ounces of Cytomax
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 13m 16s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Made it about 50 yards freestyling and managed to take an upper cut (think her heel hit me spot on) to the jaw from someone who came from the right. Saw stars and immediately flipped over on my back to gather myself. I checked my teeth first, good, nothing loose and no bleeding. I was a little dizzy and didn't feel comfortable going back to freestyle. What should I do? Quit, float for awhile, hang on a kayak? First reaction, laugh at both myself and the absurdity of the situation--what the heck am I doing out here anyway? I am not a swimmer. Hmmmmm.....how about some backstroking to at least move. Never practice the backstroke but what the heck. I was actually moving very well albeit very crooked. Sighting was pretty challenging! I heard a lot of, "Hey, orange cap, go to your right/left", that made me laugh.
What would you do differently?:

Duh, not take an uppercut to the jaw. Violated one of the sacred rules of triathlon--nothing new on race day. New wetsuit, never worn before. The bulk of the thick neoprine is in the legs and hips hence a much lower head position in the water which may have contributed to me not seeing the woman that kicked me. Oh, being Captain Obvious, way more OWS practice with the wetsuit on.
Transition 1
  • 05m 13s
Comments:

Wetsuit got stuck on my right heel. Couldn't get it off so I sat down. Pulled and pulled and it finally came off. Whew--felt like trying to get Gumby off of my leg. Top came off fast and the left leg came off fast, as Meatloaf sang--two out of three ain't bad.

The wetsuit problem probably cost me at least two minutes. The rest of the transition was pretty quick compared to my first triathlon.
Bike
  • 55m 9s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.41 mile/hr
Comments:

The first half of the bike was too slow. I should have been able to average over 18 mph or more on this course--no excuses. The snot and spit were flyin' on the second half of the ride. Head down, pound the pedals, and start picking off other riders. Passed a boat load of women. MPH fell between 18.4 and 23.8. The moms on mountain bikes didn't have a chance. I derived great pleasure from passing two women on Trek Madone road bikes. I wanted to yell, "steely passing on your left", but held myself in check!

Push it much harder the first half. Still trying to get my bearings and eased into the ride for way too long.
Transition 2
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

Came back to the rack only to find that my spot on the rack was overtaken by a mountain bike on the other side. Nowhere to rack my bike. So, I had to move the road bike next to me down far enough to make room for the mountain bike on the other side of the rack and then rack my bike. Definitely lost some time there. Did fine with the rest of transition other than having to tie my shoes.

Get some speed laces so shoe tying doesn't take so long. Find a pair of socks that can be worn for both the bike and the run.
Run
  • 31m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal was to run the whole distance, no walking. Check. The suffer fest wasn't quite as bad as I had anticipated. The piriformis was still none too happy with me after this run.

Not be injured?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched a little. Feasted on sub sandwiches and bananas. Drank 20 ounces of Cytomax.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience, lack of run training, knowing when to push it harder, and getting transitions down. Could have easily cut off over 4 minutes in transition time alone. OWS skills need a lot of work.

Event comments:

First year for this race--you would never know it. The RD deserves much praise, nothing to complain about other than no mile markers on the bike or run. Enthusiastic volunteers of all ages--grandparents, kids, etc.--some of them in the middle of nowhere all by themselves still cheering us on. Nice fruit, great sub sandwiches, bagels, peanut butter, water, and soda.

Last updated: 2007-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:16 | 437 yards | 03m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/30
Overall: 0/227
Performance: Bad
Suit: Desoto Black Pearl Sleeveless
Course: Half square, wider out at the turn buoys. According to many racers, the swim was long. How long, who knows. One female racer came out of the water at 10:30 and stated that she has never done that poorly on the swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:13
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:55:09 | 16 miles | 17.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/30
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on a quiet country road. Up a hill immediately out of transition. Some rough patches of road in the beginning and a short section further out.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:31 | 03.11 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/30
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. Strange run--a large portion of the run was next to the airport runways in the grass. Lumpy and wet grass, not the best footing.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-08-26 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Subject: Silver Lake Triathlon

2007-08-26 3:27 PM
in reply to: #940574

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Silver Lake Triathlon

CONGRATULATIONS on a job WELL DONE!!! Kiss

How do you feel today???  

And I agree... The swim seems like it would be long if an experienced swimmer did it in 10:00...Sounds like it's at least a hundred or two too long...

Ah, they NEVER get those distances absolutely correct....!!!

I'm so proud of you! Congratulations AGAIN!  

2007-08-27 5:40 AM

User image

Veteran

Nice. I can't imagine backstroke for the swim. Good thinking though.

I came into the same bike problem. Must get faster to avoid this one.

Congrats on completing the race.  

2007-08-27 3:59 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

HEY- nice job out there!!!

Sounds like you had fun too

The swim will come- eventually!

2007-08-28 12:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Well done keeping your wits about you after taking a foot to the face. That takes a lot of . . . well, it takes a lot of something.

Nice commentary on the steel vs. carbon bikes. All the high-tech out there can't make up for what you bring to the game!

Congrats!
2007-08-28 4:26 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

Congratulations!!  You did a great job!!!!!!!!!!!

<I derived great pleasure from passing two women on Trek Madone road bikes. I wanted to yell, "steely passing on your left", but held myself in check! > I like that spirit!!, LOL!!

Good job!!

2007-08-31 1:35 AM

User image

Elite
Reno

I am not sure where your piriformis is, but I hope it is happier by now.   Way to handle your set back on the swim!

great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silver Lake Triathlon Rss Feed