General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need beginner swim workout Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-01-27 7:16 AM

Subject: need beginner swim workout
I need a swim workout as a neophyte swimmer. All the swim routines I have seen assume some level of endurance. I have none! In other words, I would be winded after 100 meters or 100 yards. So, how do I begin and work my way up to the Try this Workout listed in this month's beginnertriathlete.com's article.

2004-01-27 7:35 AM
in reply to: #5110

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: need beginner swim workout
I have been in your situation and probably not too far ahead of you now. I would recommend getting the Total Immersion book by Terry Laughlin. It takes you through drills that will benefit you right away by reducing drag and then builds you up to swimming laps. There are 12 or so different drills and then a few exercises in the back to use for workouts. He also mentions how you can get in shape by doing drills rather than just swimming lap after lap. It has worked. I can now swim much better and probably quicker than if I would of just tried to drown myself after doing a 50. It is a good book and a quick read and easy to follow.
Others on this site have mentioned the website he has and have just read it. I got the book for Christmas, either way I think it may help.
2004-01-27 8:02 AM

User image

New Hampshire
Exactly the same here – using the swimming schedule for a couch thats on this site and still struggling. So as of Sunday I’m off to the Y to join in a swim stroke class. I’m working under the theory that its better to spend the right amount of energy to swim properly (IE with the least effort) than it is to continue with my energetic but slow impression of an octopus with epilepsy.

I’ll report back Sunday!
2004-01-27 8:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I just went to the web site and ordered Freestyle Made Easy and the companion book Triathlon Swimming Made Easy.

See you at the races!
2004-01-27 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
oh...i just receive a great article that should suit u by one of the swim writers...takes u through some drills starting with sidestroke and freestyle and building...look for it feb 1st...this will start u base building too...
2004-01-28 9:20 AM

New user

Join a masters team. I have a swimming background already but I joined one. It helps me stay motivated to get up at 5:30 to make practice. I think alot of YMCAs have masters programs. The only cost is my YMCA membership. I would ask the aquatics director if they know of any. MY Y doesnt have it so I go to the Y at the next town over that does.

I forgot to mention that the masters coach will have a workout that is tailored to your needs.....I know mine modifies all our workouts so that anyone can complete them.

Edited by neokrotmo 2004-01-28 9:21 AM

2004-01-28 10:27 AM
in reply to: #5113

SW Michigan
mikenhe - 2004-01-27 11:02 AM

working under the theory that its better to spend the right amount of energy to swim properly (IE with the least effort) than it is to continue with my energetic but slow impression of an octopus with epilepsy.

I am laughing so hard visualizing you swimming like an octapus with epilepsy! That is so funny!

hehehe
2004-01-28 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
rls-

Whoever said buy the Total Immersion books (and or/video) is right on target!
It's all about drills for you at this point. Drills drills drills! Drill them into your head! I would recommend spending 100% of your time in the water on the TI drills for now. If you need a coach, there's some great ones on my website, www.triswimcoach.com, that can help you out and get you going in the right direction. Otherwise, technique is KEY at this point.

Cheers,
Kevin
www.triswimcoach.com
2004-01-29 5:29 PM

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
Here are three workouts. There is no pace but wht you can do. There are guidelines that help get you going, just remember you are swimming and you set the pace. If it takes you three minutes to do two laps then so be it. If it taes you 22 seconds to do two laps great. The only point needed to be made here is that you finish. Set your pace, breathe accordingly, and these workouts are one each. Do not try them together until you feel you can accomplish 40 laps without eing winded.

You'll do it because you want to and that is the first step. Go get wet and have fun.

Swim 5 50's at an even pace until you can maintain them at 30 seconds with a 15 second rest in between.

Swim a pyramid: 25, 50, 100. then back down 100, 50, 25. Use a thirty second rest after the first set. If you feel winded wait one minute. If after the first pyramid you feel good, then do another. Work on the pyramid until you can do 5 on a thirty second rest. Mind that you set your pace.

Swim a 200 free, 200 kick, 200 pulling only. Then a 50 cool down. No time frame. No pace.

Another god workout is to swim a steady 300 or 500. However you stated a 100 causes you fatigue, so start easy and give it time. If you swim daily in a two weeks you'll see results. If you swim once a week in about two months you'll see results.

Just stay true to you and work hard. Life passes you by when you sit on it, but once you get up and move life gets going too.

I've been swimming since I was 5. The hardest part is the breathing. If you can breathe every second or fourth stroke you are doing great. If you can master that then try the every third stroke. This enables you to breathe on each side, plus during the swim portion of the race you can watch the competition without having to look up and stop.

I have other work outs that are from basic to intermediate to novice. Some are my own and others I just really liked from college. I lso down loaded swim workouts from other universities.

The three workouts should give you a good base. Once yu can accomplish a steady pace and breathe regularly on one side or both you will find swimming easy as walking.

I hope I have helped. Let me know if you need other workouts.
[email protected]
2004-01-30 11:33 AM
in reply to: #5431

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
OK, I am in the same "boat". I am a fairly good runner, but went to do my first swim workout this week and could only make it through 50 meters at a time!

I have a question about your workout. In your pyramid, do you swim 25, rest 30 seconds, swim 50 rest 30 seconds, etc.?

Also, this seems like a silly question, but should my arm stay straight through the entire underwater portion of the stroke?
2004-01-30 5:06 PM
in reply to: #5518

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
I am need the perfect swimmer but I do know what is best for me and...

for the pyramids you should eventually do them together stopping at the 100. However, being a runner and most runners I have been around need help in breathing, rest every one 25 swim 30 second rest....

Also, pretend your arms are pinwheels. One is in front and the other is in the back.You will move more water. Do not keep them completely straight you can damage your elbow joints, blah blah technical stuff... but when you move the water move it one hand in front and the other in the back in a straight line.

Example: when you cycle and you have your arms on the handle bar they are straight but slightly bent. Same with swimming slight bend at the elbow. The key is is to move water. Your arms should never be together unless you are pushing from the wall underwater.

Breathing is tough for runners because it is a diferent mechanism. My sister and I were top swimmers in high school and I was good in college, my dad could have gone to the Olympics but my mom she was a runner. A marathon every other month, 5k's, 10k's, half marathons, all day but she could not swim one length without getting winded. Tip: Before or after your swim practice: 1. swim from one end to the other under water for as long as you can without passing out please, 2. sit at the wall and go under water and hold your breath and pop up get a quick breath and then go under. These are the essentials to being able to breath. Another way to learn how to breath, I taught kids to do this- hold on to the edge kick your feet with face in water and turn your head so that the water only covers the left side of your face if you breath on the right or the right side of your face if you breath on left. You only need a small pocket, quick breath in and face back in the water. Please go slow because newby's do tend to swallow water. Picture yourself inhaling in the side of your mouth only the side that is out of the water and in no time you will be fine to swim and breathe.

Another tip my coach taught us is to use a kickboard arms straight out and face in. Turn sideways, face only, the side of your face in the water should see only what is in the water not the side of the pool. Then take deep breath, and face back in the water. You will get tired, but it will pay off.

Ask anything and there are no silly questions, only questions without answers.
I may know the answer and if not I'll find it for you.

[email protected] or the threads are fine too.

let me know if I have even helped or if I have confused you more. I am sorry if I've done nothing but confued you. I get so excited about swimming.

2004-01-30 8:02 PM
in reply to: #5550

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
No, any comments are a help to me at this point. I am going swimming tomorrow morning and I am going to try the pyramid.

I think first I will try it with breaststroke or sidestroke recoveries - more active and may last more than 30 seconds. Reminds me of what I would do when I first start back running after a long layoff. I will run 4 minutes, then walk 2 min, run 4, rest 4, repeat until pooped. I'll try to post how things wound up for me.

My question on the arms was whether to pinwheel them or pull them through close to my body... You answered...

2004-01-31 8:57 PM
in reply to: #5567

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
Get to and how did it go? I'll bet you did great. Don't use breasttroke too much because you will work more with free and it will benefit you to learn ow to breath easier. You'll do great becasue you want to. Let me know how you did I wish the best and YOU ARE SUCCEEDING.
2004-02-01 6:22 AM
in reply to: #5678

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Well, we had a slight change of plans. I did the 25, then the 50, but after that, I just did three more 50's, all with 50 recovery between and maybe up to 1 minute rest. All told, it went better than the first, but not as good as I had hoped. Instead of breast-stroking the recovery laps, I did a sidestroke where I faced the same wall there and back to work either side...(?) I did about 700M in the same time it took me to get in 500M wednesday, but that counts the sidestroke laps.

The main improvement that I made was that I always breathed out into the water, instead of head-up octopus-style. I am going again this morning, and I am going to try to swim at least one 75M leg. Next week, 100M...

2004-02-01 9:37 AM

Way to go Tiger! I know that once you get that breathing thing down, you will do great at the swim. Comfort will start to come, and you will soon be gliding along without feeling like you are fighting every inch of the way.
2004-02-02 2:04 PM
in reply to: #5716

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I made it through the 75, but I had to cut the workout short because I was completely gassed. Now, this week, I am going to swim 100M freestyle without stopping. Thereafter, if I add 50M to my "max" length, I will be ready to freestyle swim the entire length of my first tri (300M on 13-Mar).

I don't really know if breathing is my problem. I seem to take in air ok, and breathe it out ok (underwater, always). It's the growing need for air that brings me down.

2004-02-02 10:54 PM
in reply to: #5692

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas

AWESOME. How thrilled are you. That is great. And the breathing in the water YIPEE. I am so excited for you I want to jump up and down. GREAT GREAT GREAT, keep it up and keep it posted.
2004-02-02 10:56 PM
in reply to: #5777

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
That is phenomenal. The breathing will come and hey, swim under water- at the bottom of the pool, the whole length- it'll help your lung capacity. Keep it up and let us know.
2004-02-03 3:11 PM
in reply to: #5825

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Gee, I don't know if I could make it the entire length underwater, but we can give it a shot and see what happens.

This morning, at the end of my workout, I swam two sets of 150M's without stopping. However, I swam 1, 3 and 6 crawl and 2, 4 and 5 sidestroke. Whatever, I still made it half my first tri swim leg in 4 minutes. Now I just gotta double that effort, and I am pretty sure I will be able to run down a few folks on the bike and especially the run.

2004-02-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: #5880

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
keep at it and you'll do great. prsistence is the key. and some good old determination which you proved you have. think about where you were when you first began and now where you are. in no time you'll be doing better, better, and better- keep at it. for what it is worth I am proud.
2004-02-05 8:38 PM
in reply to: #5880

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
keep at it and you'll do great. prsistence is the key. and some good old determination which you proved you have. think about where you were when you first began and now where you are. in no time you'll be doing better, better, and better- keep at it. for what it is worth I am proud.

2004-02-06 9:34 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Went after it again this morning, and it was the best swim workout yet. For a few moments there, I actually felt like I was gliding through the water, instead of fighting against the devilish fluid. I started out by swimming 200M without stopping, doing 50 crawl, 50 side, 25 crawl, 50 side and 25 crawl - that's half and half. The best part was that I was able to swim the entire first 50 meters breathing bilaterally (every 3rd stroke)! After doing four of those sets, I did a 150 - 50 crawl/50 side/50 crawl. Now that's progress. Not that it is going to be easy, but maybe I will be able to swim in a race and not be the last one onto the bike...

Also, I have an experienced triathlete friend who is going to workout with me on Monday and give me a few tips. Hopefully, he'll lend some terrific insight.

I think that something I have to fight against is my bouyancy - or lack thereof. I am 6-5, 215, so I do not float. I feel like I have to be moving at a decent speed through the water to be able to keep my forward momentum going. Maybe I should eat some air bubbles each morning before swimming...
2004-02-07 4:23 PM
in reply to: #6190

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
awesome. strength, speed, and confidence will keep you buoyant. i'm sure air bubbles will help, but where are you going to get them?
any way, keep it up and the freedom of swimming has been reached. when you feel up to it time yourself on a 300- 12 straight laps freestyle/crawl and determine your pace for each of the four laps in the 100. then stay at that pace and you'll se more improvement everyday. have fun and go for it.
Tiger Phil - 2004-02-06 9:34 AM

Went after it again this morning, and it was the best swim workout yet. For a few moments there, I actually felt like I was gliding through the water, instead of fighting against the devilish fluid. I started out by swimming 200M without stopping, doing 50 crawl, 50 side, 25 crawl, 50 side and 25 crawl - that's half and half. The best part was that I was able to swim the entire first 50 meters breathing bilaterally (every 3rd stroke)! After doing four of those sets, I did a 150 - 50 crawl/50 side/50 crawl. Now that's progress. Not that it is going to be easy, but maybe I will be able to swim in a race and not be the last one onto the bike...

Also, I have an experienced triathlete friend who is going to workout with me on Monday and give me a few tips. Hopefully, he'll lend some terrific insight.

I think that something I have to fight against is my bouyancy - or lack thereof. I am 6-5, 215, so I do not float. I feel like I have to be moving at a decent speed through the water to be able to keep my forward momentum going. Maybe I should eat some air bubbles each morning before swimming...
2004-02-07 4:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi

Tiger Phil, you might find the TI site helpful. Here's an exerpt:

Three Mistakes Every "Human Swimmer" Makes
Chances are, you've thought there was something wrong with you because:

1. You think you’ll sink. Fighting "that sinking feeling" is something all humans do from their very first stroke. After a very few additional strokes, the struggle to stay afloat becomes a habit. The result? Most of your energy and too much of what you hope are propelling actions (i.e., your pull and kick) are spent keeping you from sinking, instead of acting to move you forward.
  2. You try to overpower the water. Water is 800 times denser than air. In essence, it’s a wall. If air can feel so resistant at 20 miles an hour on a bicycle, then imagine how much resistance the water throws at you at even the slowest speeds. As you get a little faster — particularly if your legs tend to sink as you swim, drag goes up to almost inconceivable levels. Want to better understand how that wall of water reacts to your body? Next time you go to the pool, try walking half a lap. What you feel is drag. Next, try running the same distance. Ouch! And how do we instinctively respond to resistance? Mainly by pushing harder. But all that does is increase drag still more.
  3. You churn your arms. The medium that was too solid when you tried to walk through it suddenly becomes very elusive when you look for a handhold to support or propel yourself. When you try to push on it, it just swirls away. Compared with running, in which we move through thin air and propel by pushing off solid ground, swimming is like running through a Jello swamp. And because the water offers neither support nor traction, our natural response is turbulent churning, like wheels spinning on ice. This increases energy cost and the extra turbulence increases drag. A double whammy.

Here's the link to that page:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/tsme-part1.html

And here's a link to the main site:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/index.html

Check out the free stuff. Lots of book exerpts and video clips.

JD

2004-02-08 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I definitely get all that intellectually. I assure you that I will sink if I lay still in the water, though. The challenge for me is to put it into practice physically.

I think I am pretty smooth while I am breathing every third stroke, but that is also because I have a lot of energy. When I switch to every other stroke, I have to remind myself at least once a length to glide more and stroke smoother. Like your quote says, pushing harder is not the answer. For me, pushing harder leads to shorter strokes which leads to more effort which leads to less breath. So I try to be smoother and longer and breathe easier.

Hey, we are progressing. This morning, my first set was 250 meters. 75 crawl, 50 side, 50 crawl, 50 side and 25 crawl. So now I am thinking about the half-ironman that I am planning on doing in September and assessing how I am going to get to the point that I can swim 2000 meters crawl by then.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » need beginner swim workout Rss Feed  

of 2