Sun Multisport Events
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 3s
Overall Rank = 305/584
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 6/16
Pre-race routine:

Got down to Lakeville mid-afternoon on Satruday, picked up my race packet, bitched about the orange caps (again) and went to get a late lunch with Chris. After lunch we checked into the hotel and I promptly passed out until a call from Kim woke me up just before 8 pm. She had just gotten in and we went out to eat (again). Cheese quesidiallas = wicked good. Got back just after 9 p.m. Helped Kim change her back tire and then back to bed. Woke up at 6 a.m. Loaded up the bags, ate the bagel and coffee and off to the race site.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. Set up my transition area and realized that I had forgotten socks, so Chris ran back to the car to look for them. Saw and chatted with Kim, Polly, Pam, Kathy and Emily ( who was doing body marking). Chris foudn the socks. Finished setting up and then splashed in the water for a little until they dragged us out and the waves began. I was in the eighth (and last) wave so it was a little wait before I got to get into the water.
Swim
  • 25m 15s
  • 1620 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not the greatest swim for me. Drafted off of Kim for the first 400 yards then decided to pull ahead and couldn't find anyone else to draft off of. Pretty much felt like I was swimming through a sea of blue and white caps (from the two waves before me) for the rest of the swim. Was pretty relaxed throughout, which was probably a sign I was taking it too easy.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder. I need to be able to push myself better even if there's no one for me to follow. Jsut because I'm passing a lot of people doesn't mean I'm *actually* going fast.
Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Other than the slippery stairs up the hill from the swim end to transition, no serious issues. Saw Pam going out with her bike as I was coming in and yelled for her. Quick change and sprinted out with my bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 20m 26s
  • 25.5 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my best bike ever in a race. Highest average mph, fast Oly time, incredibiyl comfortable. Overall just a damn good bike (for me). Despite this, comparatively speaking its still my weakest event and my biggestr limiter.

Started the biek off fairly fast and was able to quickly pass about 20 people. Went back and forth with a Tri-Fury girl for a while, which was cool. About mile 17 Polly caught me. I tried to keep up and re-pass, but to no avail. At some point, I'm not going to let Polly pass me on the bike, but I'm just not sure when. Kept up the good pace until the last two miles or so when it really became a cluster f*ck with people riding two and three abrest (blocking anyone????). Tried to pass on the last few downhills, but it was just wicked crowded. Came in strong with two other girls.

Clearly the added time and intervals on the bike is paying off. I jsut need to keep up the bike work AND loose weight. For real.
Transition 2
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

As I run into transition there's a relay guy who pretty much stopped in the middle of the asile and prevented me from gettign to me transition area. Finaly I asked (rather loudly) for him to move. GGGGRRRRRSSSSSS.

No poky puppies blocking my bike!
Run
  • 58m 26s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to be about 3-4 minutes faster on the run, but with the heat, I was glad to average in the mid- 9 range (mid - 8 would have been much sweeter though!) Started the run pretty well (although I left my endurolytes in transition, which I came to regret). Caught up with Polly at mile 1 and hung with her for a little while before taking off. Continued to pass people as I went along. It looked liek a lot of people were really suffering from the heat. Spent a few seconds stopping and walking at each water stop to make sure I was drinking enough. Caught Kathy at mile 5, who as always provided some much needed encouragement. Made my way up the final hill and tried to push it hard into the finish.

Run more. I know I could have been faster, but the conditinos got to me. I jsut need to keep working at it.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a bottle of water and Chris doused me with frozen washcloths. Waited around the finish line to see Kim, Polly and Kathy finish. Walked around, had my recovery drink and by that time Chris was getting antsy so we packed up my stuff and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

WEIGHT!!!!!!

The training is getting there, I jsut need to be serious about loosing 25-30 lbs.

Event comments:

I love Cranberry. Overall a great race for me this year. Knocked 4:21 off my bike from 2006, 3:46 from my run in 2006 and 8:07 overall. Would have loved to have gone 2:45, but the weather was against me.

Last updated: 2007-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:15 | 1620 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 201/584
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Sonar Sleeveless
Course: Rectangle around Loon Pond. Shallow and sometimes murky water with lots of things growing in it.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:26 | 25.5 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Overall: 378/584
Wind: Little
Course: Loop with rolling hills through the very pretty country side. A significant portion of the course overlapped with the Patriot course. Overall probably my favorite bike course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:26 | 06.22 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 308/584
Mile 1 - 9:05 Mile 2 - 9:38 Mile 3 - 9:32 Mile 4 - 9:40 Mile 5 - 9:13 Mile 6 - 9:54
Course: Rolling loop with very little shade, which made the heat even worse. Once again, a decent amount of overlap with the Patriot course and well stocked, very enthusiastic aid stations.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-27 8:50 AM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: Cranberry Country Triathlon

2007-08-27 9:51 AM
in reply to: #941631

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Subject: RE: Cranberry Country Triathlon

Great race yesterday Kelly. You're quickly gaining on me on the bike and your swim/run are always so solid! The swim was a clusterf*ck for sure (and probably a little long). It got really narrow in some sections so it was tough to pass people. I'm a poke who never passes anyone but even I found that to be true with this course!

We'll have to do some IM training rides next season, because KY is only a month after LP .

2007-08-27 10:43 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Nice splits, Kelly.  You did very well in the heat.  How'd you do that?

Too bad we didn't have a chance to talk more before and after the race.  See you in other races. 

2007-08-27 10:44 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Girl...you are so fast...with more bike training you will be the perfect tri chick...wicked fast at everything

It was great to see you out on the run course....it was hot, but we did okay.

Great improvement at everything....congrats on another amazing tri this year.

Go get 'em at Firmman...and get into IMKY today....

2007-08-27 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Great race yesterday.  Even with all that heat, you improved dramatically from last year.  Great Job.
2007-08-27 11:05 AM

User image

Master
CT
Great job out there Kelly! My new goal is to make sure you never pass me on the bike! You've been solid with your training these last several weeks and it really showed yesterday. Congrats on the PR!!

2007-08-27 11:57 AM

Champion

Nice race, fast in everything!  I'm sorry that I didn't get any pictures of you.  Next time for sure!

2007-08-27 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut

Great race!!  The heat was a killer but you pushed through like a champ!!

ADios
Dave

2007-08-28 11:41 AM

Great race, nice splits

How is it that I never see you at races?  I must have forgotten what you look like since I only met you the one time. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Country Triathlon Rss Feed