General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rotator Cuff Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-18 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Bowie, MD
Subject: Rotator Cuff Question
Just where would it hurt if this was a problem?
I'm having some pain in my upper arm where the Tricep runs into the shoulder.

2004-10-18 10:25 AM
in reply to: #73558

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Rotator Cuff Question
That's not your cuff. Muscular soreness or sharp pain?
2004-10-18 10:33 AM
in reply to: #73565

User image

Veteran
Bowie, MD
Seems to be muscular soreness but it's been around for a few weeks. I'm still swimming and it's more of a nuisance than anything but I don't want to become chronic. I've only been swimming since July and have been building up my yardage so maybe my muscles just need to get used to it.
2004-10-18 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Give yourself a week or two off. shoulder issues are common in swimming. Do some stretches and shoulder cuff exercises to keep it loose.
2004-10-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: #73585

User image

Veteran
Bowie, MD
Ok. Thanks for the Advice.

Rob
2004-10-18 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Rotator Cuff pain would be straight up from the front of your armpit and out a little onto your arm. With the pain on the back side of your "cuff area," I'm not sure what it might be. I know there's a cartilage "doughnut" that helps hold your shoulder stable, that if it's damaged can cause some pain back there. In my experience, most minor overdoing injuries go away in a few days if you take it easy. If it's been a few weeks and hasn't gotten better, it might be time to see a doc. Just my 2psi.

-Frank

http://www.jointhealing.com/pages/shoulder/rotatorcuff.html

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/rotatorcuff/a/rotatorcuff.htm

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/blbursitis.htm

Edited by scuba-punk 2004-10-18 12:15 PM

2004-10-18 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
And look at your swim stroke. While shooting the breeze with our Nurse Practicioner, out the the blue she asks me to demonstrate my swim stroke. She told me my stroke was ok, but if I planned on doing this for 10 years to prepare to wear down my shoulder. Then, she took my arm and moved it slowly through the range of motion that I was using. About 2/3 of the way back there was a "catch point" - for lack of a better word. Her advice - at the end of your downward swim stroke, raise your elbow up into the air and bring the rest of the forearm forward instead of using the circular motion that I was using. Now I've never seen your stoke, and even if I did I probably wouldn't be much help to you, but from this experience, I'd recommend having someone constructively analyze your arm motions just to confirm this isn't causing you any of the discomfort you are experiencing.
2004-10-18 6:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Typical rotator cuff pain is in the front of your shoulder although the cuff goes around the joint. Sometimes people have reffered pain on the outer side of the arm. they very rarely present with posterior (back of shoulder) pain.

Edited by sue7013 2004-10-18 6:37 PM
2004-10-19 12:13 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I'm seeing an Orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for this issue. My shoulder feels odd and I have a problem getting comfortable when leaning against it like trying to sleep or sitting in some chairs. I have problems with lack of strength when my hand is above my head...like hanging up something high, and it is hard to lift say 2 2 liters of soda when my arm isn't against my body. It doesn't sound similar to your issue, but thought I might share since others my wonder. It used to hurt, now it feels odd...weak and uncomfortable. Also somethings I hear a loud click if I move my shoulder a certain way.

My shoulder has been hurting me since early September. In July someone at my Master's program said you are going to hurt your rotator cuff if you don't learn to lift your left elbow higher and get your hand in better on my freestyle. I was despertate to improve so I could swim the min. for my tri., so I didn't work on skills enough.

I managed to work thru it with ibuprofen and some rest so I could do my Tri. Since my Tri almost a month ago, I haven't swam at all...just working on balance drills from TI.

I found a good article about Rotator cuff injuries and treatment.
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/06jun/wolin.htm

Hope you feel better!!
Kathy
2004-10-19 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I have shoulder issues and I find that when my yardage in the pool increases I have to stengthen my shoulders with weights or pushups. I prefer the pushups because they work the entire shoulder and I have no issues.

Mike
2004-10-19 9:58 AM

Regular
White House
Shoulder is the most complicated joint in our bodies, and one that's very important for our daily functioning, so if it hurts, please figure out why it hurts and fix it.
Don't work through shoulder pain, it's not worth it.
All of us, me included, should do more to stretch and strenghten our shoulders.
The article posted above is a good one, and here's couple more, from American Family Physician:
Shoulder Pain
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030315/1319ph.html
Some rotator cuff exercises:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030315/1315ph.html

Good luck!

2004-10-29 7:47 AM
in reply to: #73837

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
KathyG - 2004-10-19 12:13 AM

I'm seeing an Orthopedic surgeon tomorrow for this issue. My shoulder feels odd and I have a problem getting comfortable when leaning against it like trying to sleep or sitting in some chairs. I have problems with lack of strength when my hand is above my head...like hanging up something high, and it is hard to lift say 2 2 liters of soda when my arm isn't against my body. It doesn't sound similar to your issue, but thought I might share since others my wonder. It used to hurt, now it feels odd...weak and uncomfortable. Also somethings I hear a loud click if I move my shoulder a certain way.

My shoulder has been hurting me since early September. In July someone at my Master's program said you are going to hurt your rotator cuff if you don't learn to lift your left elbow higher and get your hand in better on my freestyle. I was despertate to improve so I could swim the min. for my tri., so I didn't work on skills enough.

I managed to work thru it with ibuprofen and some rest so I could do my Tri. Since my Tri almost a month ago, I haven't swam at all...just working on balance drills from TI.

I found a good article about Rotator cuff injuries and treatment.
http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/06jun/wolin.htm

Hope you feel better!!
Kathy

Kathy,
I had very similar symptoms and was diagnosed w/ an impingement (sp??) in my shoulder (which is related to the rotator cuff). I was given some PT (extreme strecthing, etc.) and given a weight program to strengthen the muscles in the shoudler to keep everything where it should be.

I have been pretty much pain / lack of strength free for the last year.

Good luck.

Adios
Dave
2005-06-01 7:51 PM
in reply to: #73837

User image

Brossard
I think I have exactly the same problem: weakness when arm kifted overhead, some "weird" sounds and general discomfort.... I know my technique is bad: it is what I have been working on, guess I should reduce distance and increase technical training... Will go see med next week. Good to know I am not the only one.... Will let you know what the doc says. How are you now?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rotator Cuff Question Rss Feed