General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS Long Island? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-27 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: OWS Long Island?
Holtsville YMCA is draining the pool this week, and with Mighty Hamptons September 16th this is not a good time to slack off (especially when it comes to swimming). We've done some OWS at Oyster Bay, but thats a bit far now that TOBAY is done. I've heard about Sunken Meadow a lot. Anyone have any info??

2007-08-27 5:35 PM
in reply to: #942435

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: OWS Long Island?

homan - 2007-08-27 2:56 PM Holtsville YMCA is draining the pool this week, and with Mighty Hamptons September 16th this is not a good time to slack off (especially when it comes to swimming). We've done some OWS at Oyster Bay, but thats a bit far now that TOBAY is done. I've heard about Sunken Meadow a lot. Anyone have any info??

I know a group from Runner's Edge usually swims at Sunken Meadow on Saturday mornings (I think).  You can call them at 516-420-7963.  Are you a Town of Brookhaven resident? If so, you can go to Cedar Beach for free, just bring your license and car reg. 1st time and they give you a sticker.  I see a lot of triathletes training there along the buoy line.  Not sure of your schedule, but my son starts Nursery school on Sept 6th and I will be free from about 9:45-11:45am M-Tu-Th and plan on going up to Cedar 2 or 3 times before Mighty Hamptons.

2007-08-27 6:16 PM
in reply to: #942944

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Thanks for the response! (I knew I could count on someone here!) Where is Cedar Beach again? We are looking to go Tuesday (hopefully), Wed, and Friday of this week. Then we may have to make due with pool swims unless we get a combination of nice weather and quick exits from work.

My husband and I are teachers, so we have to go back to school soon too! We have to work hard to keep up the training.
2007-08-28 3:57 PM
in reply to: #942992

User image

Master
Long Island, NY

homan - 2007-08-27 7:16 PM Thanks for the response! (I knew I could count on someone here!) Where is Cedar Beach again? We are looking to go Tuesday (hopefully), Wed, and Friday of this week. Then we may have to make due with pool swims unless we get a combination of nice weather and quick exits from work. My husband and I are teachers, so we have to go back to school soon too! We have to work hard to keep up the training.

Cedar Beach is in Mt Sinai/Miller Place.  If you take Rt83 (no Ocean Ave) all the way North to 25A you make a right.  You then make left at first light onto Echo, then left at first light onto Pipe Stave Hollow Rd.  (Pay attention now as this is a big part of the Bike course for the First Ever Cedar Beach Sprint on Oct 7).  Take Pipe Stave Hollow all the way to the end, this will be North Country Rd, Bear Right then Quick Left and this is still considered Pipe Stave Hollow.  Take this all the way to the end.  Good Luck!! 

2007-08-29 8:43 PM
in reply to: #944646

User image

I know the feeling.. I drove to the Y Tuesday (Holtsville) at lunch and forgot about them closing this week. Ugh. Sunken Meadow is pretty good... at low tide it seems like you have to walk in knee-deep water to Connecticut before you get up to your waist. Other than that it's not bad.

I trained with TNT there this year and last. If you get there after 6:00 it's free to get in - otherwise it's like 7 bucks or something. I think there is still enough light in the late afternoon to swim post 6pm.

Rob
2007-09-07 9:42 AM
in reply to: #942435

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Sunken Meadow is a great place for a OWS and it's free after 4pm during the week.

I was just there with my buddy last night. You can find Tri Athletes there all the time. I have often joined a group of 2 -5 and asked if I can tail the pack and they always welcome me with open arms.

LOL about low tide - I experieced my 1st low tide last week and you are so right. I had to walk a 1/2 mile in the water to get in waist deep water.

Just watch out for the fisherman on the shoreline......

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS Long Island? Rss Feed