General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why is running so hard??!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-08-27 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Why is running so hard??!!

Ok I'm asking this seriously, not just whining....I need some help here!

Why is it that I can swim for 45 min. and still feel ok at the end, bike for hours and be ok, but yet I run for more than a minute or two at a time and I get out of breath and feel horrible?  I've made some huge improvements in my running since I started....going from 15+ min/mile down to 12:00/mile using run/walk intervals, but I can't seem to move beyond 1 min running/1 min. walking.  So what is it about running that makes it so hard for me?  At first the limiter was leg pain (mostly my shins) but now it seems to be more of just a straight endurance/breathing issue.  After running a minute or so I'm already breathing hard and struggling to recover.  Just seems strange when I can do other hard physical activity for much longer.  How do I move beyond this and improve my running ability?  I've been working on focusing and regulating my breathing but I still get short of breath fast.  I've tried slowing my pace as well.  Any ideas???  Thanks!

2007-08-27 3:19 PM
in reply to: #942641

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Why is running so hard??!!

Swimming and cycling involve concentric muscular contractions -- that meaning that the muscle is contracting while it's getting shorter.

Running involves eccentric muscular contractions -- your muscle is contracting while it's getting longer. MUCH harder on the body.

2007-08-27 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
I don't have a specific answer, but I'd suggest sticking with it and being patient. I know, easier said than done. Sometimes your body just takes a while to adapt to a different kind of exercise.

Swimming and cycling fitness do not correlate to running fitness. I can run and bike all day long, but I start breathing heavy the second I get into a pool. A 20-30 minute swim kills me more than a 13 mile run.

I would suggest relaxing when you try to run. Your legs will be working hard enough, if your upper body and breathing aren't relaxed it just makes things that much more difficult.
2007-08-27 3:26 PM

User image

Master
brummie land
daft idea lil but have you sorted out your breathing pattern? i think i breathe out for two steps and in for two. previous breathing patterns were erratic and made running so much tougher.
2007-08-27 3:30 PM

User image

Runner

Couple thoughts....

I think part of it may be a mental block.  Other than just pushing through it, that's something you've gotta just figure out.

I think another part of it is your distances.  I think that you need to start upping the distances for each run.  Also, start with smaller increments of increased running vs. walking.  I think going from 1:00 to 1:30 is steep.  Try 1:10.

Other than that, it's tough to really say, other than you need to be patient, and consistent.  Might even try adding an extra run a week, if that's your limiter right now. 

2007-08-27 3:36 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Many different mechanics in running which incorporates much stress.  I would recommend power walking first to get acclimated and get your HR in tune.  Little things at a time.  Don't get stressed and stay positive.

2007-08-27 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, Texas

The breathing pattern idea has helped me.  Also, you might try really slowing your pace down to where you can sustain that for 3-7 minutes, and eventually as you get used to it, you can speed it back up. 

I found that I can correlate pace to breathing.  I do kind of a sniffing and blowing breathing - inhaling through my nose and exhaling through my mouth.  A physical therapist told me to do this.  I know I'm going an easy pace that I can sustain if I'm able to inhale 4 sniffs and exhale 4 blows.  I know it sounds weird but it works for me.  If I'm going up a steep hill, or really pushing myself, I breath 2 sniffs and 2 blows. 

This has helped me to an extent.  But I have the same problem as you just in general.  The burning in my chest and nausea that accompany my running are pretty annoying!

2007-08-27 3:49 PM
in reply to: #942679

Elite
briderdt - 2007-08-27 2:19 PM

Swimming and cycling involve concentric muscular contractions -- that meaning that the muscle is contracting while it's getting shorter.

Running involves eccentric muscular contractions -- your muscle is contracting while it's getting longer. MUCH harder on the body.

I don't get it.

2007-08-27 4:06 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
I've been trying to jog since January and encounter the same difficulties as you -- it's taking forever to improve. My max now is about 3 minutes of very slow jogging, before I have to walk and let my HR ease. It frustrates the heck out of me, too, but I've chalked it up to being quite overweight still. (I'm 50 pounds over my ideal weight still.)

Plus, I was a total couch potato for 10 years. I can't expect to reverse that all overnight. At first, I couldn't even jog 30 yards, no joke. I sure wish I were improving faster, but I've come to accept it.

Just hang in there and it *will* improve!
2007-08-27 4:52 PM
in reply to: #942731

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Mandi - 2007-08-27 3:39 PM

The breathing pattern idea has helped me.  Also, you might try really slowing your pace down to where you can sustain that for 3-7 minutes, and eventually as you get used to it, you can speed it back up. 

I found that I can correlate pace to breathing.  I do kind of a sniffing and blowing breathing - inhaling through my nose and exhaling through my mouth.  A physical therapist told me to do this.  I know I'm going an easy pace that I can sustain if I'm able to inhale 4 sniffs and exhale 4 blows.  I know it sounds weird but it works for me.  If I'm going up a steep hill, or really pushing myself, I breath 2 sniffs and 2 blows. 

This has helped me to an extent.  But I have the same problem as you just in general.  The burning in my chest and nausea that accompany my running are pretty annoying!

I suck at running. I get a side cramp a lot. I'm going to try this tip to see if it helps with my side cramp!
2007-08-27 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware

turtle, I hear ya.  I'm in the same boat.  I am always saying " I HATE - I mean love running".  It's so friggin hard for me to make any sort of progress...  I envy those people that can go out and run 5 miles and have it be enjoyable.  For me, I am bright red, huffing, and sweating. 

That being said - I did figure out a few things so far.  I run 11-12 min miles(treadmill), and am up to about 2.5 - 3 miles.  This after 20 weeks of tri training....   My ab strength seems to have a lot to do with my ability to not get winded, because I learned that I need to focus on my posture when I run  (not lean forward) and use my diaphragm to breathe (not my ribs). Shoulders back, head up.  It sounds kinda silly, but I was doing it the wrong way and had a really sore ribcage!  and my shoulders hurt, too.  So, try to focus on breathing correctly. 

I also figured out that I was wheezing a lot when I ran - and found that I have exercise-induced asthma.  The wheezing seems to happen more when I don't allow myself to warm up and just start running.  I have found that doing 10 minutes on an elliptical first seems to help. 

Well, I saw your posting and just wanted to let you know - YOU AREN'T ALONE!!  Hang in there - that's what my 'runner' friends tell me.  It may be slow, but you'll start to see progress. 

2007-08-27 5:34 PM

Veteran
I'm no running expert - I wouldn't even call myself a strong runner but for me running is all mental. Granted I'm not overweight but when I run I always want to stop running. I have no reason to want to stop. I'm not usually feeling any unreasonable pain, I'm not usually out of breath for long, and I can typically go as long as I need to but I never WANT to run. From the second I start until the second I finish I just plain hate it and want to stop. As I'm running I try to trick myself into stopping by claiming dehydration, heat exhaustion, over-training, in danger of injury, etc. I'll try to convince myself of anything to make it stop. However, I just plain don't stop.

That sounds easier that it actually is. Here's what I do:

- First, get yourself a mantra. I have a little silly phrase that I repeat with every step that takes my mind off of what I'm doing. Focus on your phrase and any time your mind wanders just gently direct it back towards your phrase. Keep going like clockwork and think of nothing but your phrase.

- Second - don't freak out. Sometimes when I get out of breath I make it worse by freaking out that I'm out of breath. Just stay calm, relaxed, breathing gently, and focusing on your phrase. Remind yourself that there is nothing to be afriad of and you're going to be just fine.

- Third - connect your core. Running should use your entire body. Mentally focus on using your whole body for each step just like you do with swimming. Running isn't just moving your legs but using your body as a single connected machine.

- Fourth - make rules. I have a rule that I'm never allowed to stop running while I'm running uphill no matter what. I find that running up hills is when the excuses for wanting to stop really come out in full force, my breathing rate goes up, and in general I just lose my cool - that is not the time to make decisions about your workout. Just look up to the horizon and accept you're going to the top.

- Fifth - find the rest! There is a spot, or a posture, or something that if I look hard enough I can find a place to catch a microrest during my stride. There is a special step that high-altitude mountain climbers take called a rest step that allows them to take a short rest on their bone structure between each stride. This may be more mental than physical but I believe that if I completely relax and just focus on efficient movement with minimal effort that I can rest while running. Your job is to find that rest and use it to recover after those climbs!

Stick with it - make it a habit - keep working out week after week after week and you will get stronger. It never gets easier you just go faster!

Hope that helps!
2007-08-27 6:24 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Turtle, I've got the same problem. Thanks for starting this post. I've gotten a lot of good ideas from everyone. Thanks.
2007-08-27 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Weight. When I smoked, and was 35 pounds lighter, running was much easier on my body. Now that I am 35 pounds heavier, I keep getting hurt running. The terrible irony is that I truly believe that running slims you down like nothing else - all of my biking and swimming have not taken one stinking pound off my body, but running does it, but when overweight, running gets you hurt. It is very frustrating.

Thankfully, I had two cortisone shots in my plantar fasciitis, and got orthotics, and I am running again. Hope the weight comes off now,
Nancy
2007-08-27 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
And here's your motivation - there is nothing that gives you that "runner's high" like running. Truly. Your brain and your soul will soar when you start being able to do more comfortable running. Sometimes, swimming comes close, that free feeling, but running is awesome for your brain.
2007-08-27 6:33 PM
in reply to: #943009

Elite
Laurium, MI

some questions first:

1.  How many times a week are you running?

2.  Are you short of breath or are you weasing?  Have you ever been checked for Exercise Induced Asthma?

I used to loathe running.  I was horrible at it.   Running one mile would kill me.  I was fine cycling, even used to be pretty fast.  Didn't do much swimming back then, so I don't know what that was like.  About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with EIA, was put on medication and guess what?  Running became fun.  The shortness of breath disappeared, as well as most of the strange side cramping.  It may or may not be your problem, but I would at least check it out.

2007-08-27 7:21 PM

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
I also wanted to echo what Sappho and Mandi said about knowing your breathing pattern.

Everyone's heart-rate zones are different, but I read that we're all a bit more alike with our breathing (though still not identical). For many people, 4/4 and 3/3 breathing represents aerobic zone training. (4/4 means taking 4 steps during your inhale and 4 steps during your exhale.) 2/2 seems to be right around the aerobic threshold or lactate threshold -- for some, it's above and some, below. But anything faster than that -- 2/1 or 1/1 tends to be anaerobic. (I'll see if I can dig up the references I found on this topic, so nobody accuses me of just making it up. ;-) )

In my own case, I find that I can start jogging at a 3/3 breathing pace. Before too long I increase to a 2/3 pace (which is a bit odd I admit). Then at the end of my (short) 3-minute jaunts, I'm up to a 2/2 breathing pace. I can tell 2/2 is above my AT/LT, since I can't keep it up very long before I'm completely winded.

Hope this helps some!
2007-08-27 8:35 PM
in reply to: #943015

Veteran
nancylee - 2007-08-27 7:29 PM
The terrible irony is that I truly believe that running slims you down like nothing else - all of my biking and swimming have not taken one stinking pound off my body, but running does it, but when overweight, running gets you hurt.

I'm not trying to be annoying but weight loss comes down to one thing and one thing only. You lose weight if you eat fewer calories than you burn. If you are getting hurt because of your weight then adjust your diet until you drop some of that weight and then start running again. Just don't lose too fast. One pound per week is the conventional wisdom for maximizing fat loss. Lose any faster than that and you're losing water weight and/or muscle.
2007-08-27 11:34 PM
in reply to: #942679

Elite
Denver, Colorado
briderdt - 2007-08-27 3:19 PM

I think you may be right.

2007-08-27 11:44 PM
in reply to: #942756

Elite
Denver, Colorado
ScottoNM - 2007-08-27 3:49 PM
briderdt - 2007-08-27 2:19 PM

I don't get it.

Here's an example. Say you are performing a bench press. As you lower the weight to your chest, you are performing the eccentric part of the movement. This is sometimes referred to as the "negative" portion of the movement. You have to control the weight as it comes down or else you'd injure yourself, so your muscles are contracting even during the lowering portion. Press up and you are performing the concentric part of the movement. Sport scientists believe that eccentric loading is responsible for the majority of the muscle damage and soreness experienced after lifting weights. In fact, I've seen programs that are "negative only" where you take a weight that's more than you could lift on your own, lower it slowly, then have your training partners help you bring it back up. That's not to say that the concentric portion is not useful because it is.

In running, your muscles have to contract as your foot hits the ground to absorb the impact (the eccentric portion) and then your muscles contract to propel you forward (the concentric portion). In swimming and biking, your muscles are only used to propel you forward - it's all concentric movements.

2007-08-28 12:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Vacaville, Ca
I'm no expert.. but for me my weight had a lot to do with my run... when i weighed 42 lbs more than I do now.. i was pretty slow and it was painful.. comparatively.. gravity was kicking my butt..
make sure you've got everything you need to run comfortably too.. nice shoes/clothing/hat or visor and maybe some water.... some people my disagree with me.. but get some music... you won't be able to use it in a race... but the music made running easier for me.. just don't blast it too loud.. you'll need to listen for cars or whatever else you need to be listening for...

Edited by SnMan 2007-08-28 12:52 AM

2007-08-28 6:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Oceanside
I am in your shoes: running has been my biggest challenge. I have noticed since I've been monitoring my HR and keeping it within my age range, it has helped tremendously. Also, I seem to get overheated rather quickly so I been making an extra effort to keep hydrated. I remember only being able to run 1 or 2 mins at a time but now I can go 45 mins and feel pretty darn good. Don't be discouraged as you will get there. We can both hate those natural runners that go and run 12 miles for fun!
2007-08-28 7:15 AM
in reply to: #943337

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
That and the fact that you have to support your own weight while you move it, rather than just move it.
2007-08-28 8:02 AM
in reply to: #943172

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have cut down, I ride, I run, I swim, but I am going through hormonal changes which may make it tougher to lose weight. Although you are right about calories in, calories out, I don't think I could work out on the amount of calories I would need to lose weight.
2007-08-28 8:50 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

You've gotten some great advice so far.  I'll add this to the mix.  I've run a decent amount since I started 2 years ago, and a lot lately, and I'll tell you this much - it's still hard to get started.  I start a 4 mi run and my legs hurt and I get out of breath after a half mile.  But I know in my head I can do it and I just need to keep going until my body adjusts to the shock of running.  I started a 20 miler on Sunday and after 3-4 miles I didn't think I would be able to do it.  It ended up being one of the best runs I've ever had!  I correlate it to stetching, in a weird way.  When you stretch your muscle will immediately try to rebound or recover and go back to its normal state.  You have to hold a stretch for about 7-10 seconds.  Then your body understands that you want it to be doing this and it stops fighting you and you can go deeper into the stretch.  When you begin running I think it is a shock to the body and its initial reaction is to want to go back to its resting state.  After some time (half mile, mile, 4 miles, whatever) it realizes that this is ok and it goes along with your desire to run.  You just have to mentally make it through that barrier and that is very tough to do.   So you are not alone, we all battle it.  Hope this helps.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why is running so hard??!! Rss Feed  

of 2