General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping up in the off season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-27 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Subject: Keeping up in the off season
OK, I know for a lot of you, the tri season is far from over. But since this is my first year doing triathlons, I had my "A" race and I'm easing off a little into the fall season. I'm going to do a half marathon in Philly in November, so that's something fun to keep me busy, while I toy with the idea of doing a HIM in '08.

But, since I've never had an "off season" before...what the heck does everyone do when yours comes around? I like running and I'll definitely keep up the swimming and biking as best as I can through the northeast winter. But do you just take a step back? Do you supplement with strength training? Or do you do a modified tri training program? Or don't modify at all and keep going just as hard through the winter?

What, oh what, do you do to maintain your fitness level in all three sports so that come next year, you're ready to dive right back into things?

2007-08-27 9:13 PM
in reply to: #943196

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: Keeping up in the off season

this is my second year, don't think i probably did it right last year in the off season

I'm using one of the maintenance training plans from BT - seems like it will be a good fit

I'm anxious to hear what those with more experience have to say

Good question for us newbies!

2007-08-28 6:03 AM

User image

Master
My A race was two weekends ago, and I've only had one workout since. After giving my body a little rest, I'll continue with all three sports, although not at the volume of the racing season. I' got a bike trainer in the Spring, so this will be the first winter I'll be able to train through the ice and snow. I'm not a great swimmer, but since I do better relative to my AG in that discipline, I'll concentrate on building a base in the other two by training in the low HR zones.

I, too, am curious about what other winterbound folks do.
2007-08-28 6:47 AM

User image

Runner
Right now, we're just getting into marathon racing season, which ends right at the start of December, which conveniently starts the 10K training and racing season, which conveniently ends right at the start of the marathon training season...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keeping up in the off season Rss Feed