General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Becoming a stronger runner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-28 1:13 PM

New user
Subject: Becoming a stronger runner
I did my first Tri this year and really enjoyed it. I love the training and am planning on doing several next year including an Olympic distance. I need help with my running program. I have a HR monitor but have no idea how to use it as a training tool (If my heart is pounding hard I figure I'm working hard).

Anyway, I'd like to become a stronger runner for next year. My typical running work out is run for about 30 minutes. I walk when I need to and then continue running. Can someone advice me on how to use the HR monitor? What should my workouts look like? How do I use this tool to become stronger?

Thanks

2007-08-28 1:25 PM
in reply to: #944210

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Subject: RE: Becoming a stronger runner
There is only one way to become a stronger runner: run more!

Don't increase volume too quickly or you'll risk injury, but you should be running 4-5 times a week, increasing volume and doing a mix of different types of runs. I can't tell from your logs how much you run, but while HRMs and other tools can be helpful, the key is just to run more.

My normal running workouts are below. Obviously distances vary:
Sunday: Long run (10-13 miles)
Monday: Slow recovery run (5 miles)(sometimes a day off)
Tusday: Moderate Hill run (6 miles)
Wednesday: No run
Thursday: Tempo run (2 mile warm up; 3 mile tempo; 2 mile cool down)
Friday: No run
Saturday: 5 mile easy off the bike
2007-08-28 2:01 PM

New user
Most of my runs are based on time. It's usually 30 minutes and I'm happy if I can finish without walking. I run about 3-4 times a week (just started back up again). Should I throw in some hill sprints and intervals? My runs are usually pretty much the same.

2007-08-28 2:17 PM
in reply to: #944327

User image

Runner

Kidblue - 2007-08-28 3:01 PM Most of my runs are based on time. It's usually 30 minutes and I'm happy if I can finish without walking. I run about 3-4 times a week (just started back up again). Should I throw in some hill sprints and intervals? My runs are usually pretty much the same.

No.  You don't need sprints or intervals.

You need to just simply get out and run more.  You need to increase your run time.  You do 30 min, next time, go out for 40.  If you run 4x week, I would do 20, 30, 30, 45.  Run at an easier pace.  You should finish feeling slightly tired, but like you could go out and keep running.

2007-08-28 2:22 PM

I have just got back into training after a year off and have a good idea for beginers wishing to improve the run. Let me preface this by saying it all depends on your own body, skill and experience.

In years past I found myself running to much with no solid structure to my runs or a plan for improving. I would try and run as much as possible and increase each week. I now know this was not appropriate for my body and actually hindered training. It led to shin splints, sore knees and excessive muscle fatigue.

This year I am concentrating on quality not quantity. I follow a structured plan with varied routines between long and short runs for my ability. I always take 2 days off between runs unless it is a very short run. I try and run only 2 times a week but make sure I give a maximum effort each time. Every week my long runs increase by around 5-10% in time. I am careful to judge my body and will not run if I am sore or feeling like I have a tweaked knee or any pain. I will head to the pool if I feel to sore to run. The key is knowing your own body and pushing yourself toward your goals in a proper manner.

While many experienced runners will tell you to run as much as possible, this does not mean it is right for you. Those more experienced runners have developed the muscels in the legs to stabalize properly and can endure more imact over shorte periods of time. It will take years of running to build up to a 5 day a week routine. I feel most beginners are better off leting the body rest and giving 100% 2-3 times a week rather than drudging through extra runs.

Remember, running is the hardest event on your body and should be respected as such. Listen to your body, have a proper plan and take it slow. If you feel a need to increase training then vary speed and terrain but continue to allow your body ample rest. If you still want to train more then add to your swimming as a great way to cross train for the run without the pounding to your body.

Good Luck!
2007-08-28 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Kidblue, I'm in a bit of the same boat as you, trying to start running from scratch.  Actually, I started from scratch in May.

I've done a lot of reading on the subject.  What I keep coming across is that the pace should be kept easy over the first 4+ months.  By easy I mean that you can carry on a conversation while running.  Breathing through your nose the whole time also is a decent indication that the pace is not too hard.  Over the 4+ months, gradually increase 1 run each week to be longer.  If you're doing 30 minutes now, go to maybe 35 minutes next week.  Add 5 minutes per week to your long run.  Keep the other runs about the same 30 minutes.

After 4 months of laying down a "base", you can then think about some increased intensity.  Maybe once a week change one of your 30 minute runs to a "tempo" run where you push yourself to maybe 85% to 90% of your race pace.

This is a basic outline.  Hopefully it helps.  The main thing though is to keep the pace easy for the first 4+ months or so.

Good luck

2007-08-28 2:31 PM
in reply to: #944382

User image

Runner

OK, couple things......

2x week?  It's going to be rather difficult to really improve your running on only 2x week.  I would go with 3-4.

As for the stuff about developing muscles.....  Yes, you need to slowly build up to running 5+ /week.  But the way you do that is by....  Running.  Those people you mention didn't start off running that much.  2 days off between runs is possibly excessive for many people, especially if you're running smart.  In other words, if you don't go out and run as hard as you can each and every time, you can run more often.  Additionally, increasing volume has been shown to provide greater long-term benefits to endurance athletics.  There's a reason why elite 5-10K runners still run 80-120 miles/week.

I don't understand why people have this overall fear that running is going to ruin their bodies.  Your body was designed to run.  If you do it intelligently, then you should be able to run well into your late years.  I see people running races that are 80. 

2007-08-28 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills

Kidblue - 2007-08-28 1:13 PM I did my first Tri this year and really enjoyed it. I love the training and am planning on doing several next year including an Olympic distance. I need help with my running program. I have a HR monitor but have no idea how to use it as a training tool (If my heart is pounding hard I figure I'm working hard). Anyway, I'd like to become a stronger runner for next year. My typical running work out is run for about 30 minutes. I walk when I need to and then continue running. Can someone advice me on how to use the HR monitor? What should my workouts look like? How do I use this tool to become stronger? Thanks

I use a HR monitor everytime that I run.  I wasn't sure how to use it when I started but...When I need to walk on a run I looked at my HR monitor and noted my HR.  If I kept my HR in a zone that was lower than that I could continue to run without the need to walk.  So now I have increased my run from 1 mile to 4, 12min to 8:30 pace.  I am sure someone here can give you a more scientific approach to HR monitors but it worked for me.

Edited by bryans0626 2007-08-28 2:57 PM
2007-08-28 3:07 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Steve,

2 days off between runs?
2 runs a week?
As hard as you can each time?

If you ask me this is a recipe for limited improvement and possible injury. It may work for you, but this goes against just about everything ever written/taught about running.

To the OP, gradual improvement is neccessary. Slowly increase volume. Tempo/Intervals/Hills are not neccessary until you running has significantly improved. Not every run should be as hard as possible either. Consistancy is key. I would aim for at least 20-30 min 5 days a week for a couple months and then start working in some longer runs.
2007-08-28 3:20 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Yeah, I'm with Scout and Orbeaman on this.  I've only been running for 2 years.  And for most of those 2 years I've been averaging 3-5 runs per week.  I didn't have to build up to it, I just had to build the runs themselves up to what I do now.  I have also done about 90% of my running without my HRM, although I am using it now to nail my training leading up to a marathon. 

There is a lot you can read on this site about using a heart rate monitor.  You can't just learn it all in a day or even a week.  While you are studying - get out there and run.  And like others have said, run often and within the limits of your body each time.  Speed/interval work will come down the road but for now learn how to run efficiently.   Man evolved to be able to run down its food over long distances.  Like Scout said, you were designed for this.

2007-08-28 3:49 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Back in Jan I returned to training after I was forced to stop for 3+ months due to health issues. At that point I lose most of my fitness and I wa sback to cero interm of tri endurance. I started a thread on the challenge forum about getting back in shape and some simple guidelines to get back into shape buidling up slowly. I chose a conservative at a time.

This is the link to the thread (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=62125&posts=166&start=1)

2007-08-29 10:14 PM

User image

Veteran
NYC
Subject: ---

Edited by Bossman 2007-08-29 10:15 PM
2007-08-29 10:15 PM

User image

Veteran
NYC
Not meant to insult, but if you're running 5 days a week, when do you bike and swim? Just seems a little excessive for a balanced triathlon training plan. I'd bet you all have more experience and are better runners than I am, but I would think more than three runs would be tough if you're biking and swimming twice a week.
2007-08-30 5:55 AM
in reply to: #946720

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Bossman - 2007-08-29 10:15 PM Not meant to insult, but if you're running 5 days a week, when do you bike and swim? Just seems a little excessive for a balanced triathlon training plan. I'd bet you all have more experience and are better runners than I am, but I would think more than three runs would be tough if you're biking and swimming twice a week.

Two a days.

Sure you can get by with doing only one workout a day, but he OP is looking to improve at running, to become stronger at it. If your goal is to improve at triathlon you probably need to work at each discipline 3-5 times per week.

2007-08-30 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Your going to have to run more as has been suggested already. I would visit www.coolrunning.com and look under the basic training tab and look for whatever you can find on Maffetone. I think it is a great HRM based program to build up a great base for running.
2007-08-30 8:03 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Bossman - 2007-08-29 10:15 PM Not meant to insult, but if you're running 5 days a week, when do you bike and swim? Just seems a little excessive for a balanced triathlon training plan. I'd bet you all have more experience and are better runners than I am, but I would think more than three runs would be tough if you're biking and swimming twice a week.

Depends on your goals and whether you want to improve, but here is a sample week for a girl I train who started tris this year and she wants to become competitive for next season at HIM distance. (She also has around 8-10 hrs available for training a week) Her tri season is over so we are focusing on running as she'll do a marathon by December

Monday – AM Easy recovery swim, PM easy short run

Tuesday – AM Steady swim, PM LT bike

Wednesday – AM Tempo swim, PM easy run

Thursday – PM Tempo run

Friday – AM Easy run

Saturday – AM Long run

Sunday – AM Steady/recovery ride, PM Easy run

avg hr a week - 8

2007-08-30 8:38 AM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
Bossman - 2007-08-29 10:15 PM

Not meant to insult, but if you're running 5 days a week, when do you bike and swim? Just seems a little excessive for a balanced triathlon training plan. I'd bet you all have more experience and are better runners than I am, but I would think more than three runs would be tough if you're biking and swimming twice a week.

It helps that I don't have kids and my wife trains with me, but I still ride 3x a week and swim 3-5 times a week. I do my swimming during my lunch hour. I started off as a runner, so I will always focus more on running, but I always make time to get everything worked in.

Just my 2 cents, but if you are comfortable with your bike and swim but can't run, you probably need to focus on the running until it becomes easier. Don't cut out the other stuff, but I'll stick by the running 4-5 times a week recommendation.
2007-08-30 10:07 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida

As far as how to use your heart moitor - see if you can find information online from the manufacturer's website.  Mine came with a big instruction book, but I can't tell you how to use it because it's been in a closet ever since I got it!

One piece of advice that a neighbor/trainer/ironman gave me that I found to be the most useful of almost anything I had read was to go by time not distance and go as slowly as you need to to make it to your goal time.  He noticed me one day coming up the street dying and said I should be finishing feeling like I could keep going.  I didn't believe him - it was hard not to want to go by mileage (at he time I was excited when I could even get to two miles) and it was really hard to not feel funny running slowly.  But it worked!  I had to keep reminding myself to slow down if I felt like I was getting too out of breath though.  I think it was sort of the rules to go by if you don't have a heart monitor.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Becoming a stronger runner Rss Feed