General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrading my Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-03 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Upgrading my Bike

I'm finishing up my seocnd tri season, and next year I'm going to move up in distance. I'm going to start out with an Olympic and my longest distance will be a HIM.  I plan to through other races in the mix, but I'll have two 'A' races next year.  In 2009, I hope to focus all of my attention on completing an IM. 

My question is I have a Specialized Transition Expert Tri Bike.  What type of things could I add to my bike, if any?

I'm not trying to set any world records or place in my AG, I just want to set a new PR and challenge myself.

2007-09-03 7:49 PM
in reply to: #950956

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Upgrading my Bike
iwantotri - 2007-09-03 7:41 PM

What type of things could I add to my bike, if any?

You can start by adding your butt to the seat of that bike. Doesn't look like it's spent much time up there this year, according to your logs..

Cool

2007-09-03 7:53 PM

User image

Expert

LOL, that's one of my goals is to keep doing my logs, I'm trying to get back in the habit.  Don't worry I spend plenty of time on my bike.  It's become my new car.

2007-09-03 7:55 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

You'll get this advice in spades, but here goes...

- First, it isn't the bike. It's the engine. (Edit: I KNEW The Bear would get here before I did). Put your a$$ in the saddle. After that, invest your $ in something that'll make you faster.  A coach would fall into this category of investment. And figuring out nutrition would, too. And it's well worth the jack, especially over the long course tri distances.  

- Second, if you've gotta do something to the bike, invest in a bike fit (if you haven't already). A great fit will be even better than the best upgrades you can make. This may lead to some investment, as there are stems, seats, pedals, aerobars, you name it, all part of the fit, that can make you better. Find a reputable fitter (like Bikesport Michigan, for instance, and no, I'm not paid) and go from there.

- Lastly, if you, and the fit are good, then you can consider starting to dump the same $ into equipment. In order of benefit are 1) Aero Helmet, 2) Everything else. Aero wheels, internal cable routing, funky aero water bottle holders, aero tubing, different frame material, different gruppo, tires, etc all yield kinda minor benefit.  Don't let the hype suck your cash.  

2007-09-04 5:54 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Tri-Talk had a great podcast about the science of improving your TT times.

http://tri-talk.com/

it is episode 46. Bike parts are low on list. The engine, aero position, and caffeine will have bigger impacts.

Goodluck!

2007-09-04 6:09 AM
in reply to: #951153

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
brown_dog_us - 2007-09-04 6:54 AM

it is episode 46. Bike parts are low on list. The engine, aero position, and caffeine will have bigger impacts.

Goodluck!

Caffeine is the new aero disk wheel from the way everyone is talking about it. I don't quite understand, I should be fast with the pot or two I drink in the AM.

Seriously though, good bike fit, and time in the saddle are the best ways to get better. If you are not riding 50-100 miles per week, you are not riding enough. 50 miles a week will likely be enough to maintain your fitness, though if you want to get better, you need to ride more.

Edited by tjtryon 2007-09-04 6:15 AM

2007-09-04 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
iwantotri - 2007-09-03 5:41 PM

My question is I have a Specialized Transition Expert Tri Bike.  What type of things could I add to my bike, if any?

I'm not trying to set any world records or place in my AG, I just want to set a new PR and challenge myself.

I know it's popular to say it's not the bike, it's the engine - but the bike can be a limiter. The drivetrain matters too!

I don't know much about Specialized tri bikes, but I looked up yours and it specs with tri geomotry, Profile Mavic Ksyrium Elites, FSA crank, Ultegra / Dura-Ace mix, Profile Designs T2 S-bend bars. It sounds like a nice bike already, and probably not limiting your performance much.

I think the most noticeable improvement you make to the bike itself is a pair of deep dish aero wheels or a aero front / disc rear. Flashpoints or Zipps or HEDs or Jets or the like would all be faster on the flats and the downhills. You would definitely notice the difference.

Next, you should consider "Are you getting everything out of the tri bike you paid for already?"

How is your aero position? If you're not spending nearly all the race in the aero position because it's uncomfortable, then rush right out and find someone to help fit you better. If you think you could lower the cockpit a bit and then re-fit to that, it will make a difference. Riding lower is cheap speed.

If you're not wearing an aero helmet, you should. I think it makes less of a difference than aero wheels, but for less than $200 it's cheap speed too.

You paid for an aero frame and seatpost - keep it aero with behind-the-seat bottles and storage (not a big seatbag strapped to the back of the post). Keeping it aero is cheap speed.

If you're riding your clean aero bike with (say) disc rear and tri spoke front, low in the cockpit and comfortable on the bars - you'll rock and have a great year. Enjoy!
2007-09-04 9:34 AM
in reply to: #951153

Master
brown_dog_us - 2007-09-04 5:54 AM

Goodluck!

Knew someone would beat me too it. Bike parts are low, but if you must, spend it on things that rotate. I've got a specialized transition as well, and am quite sure that I am what is slowing it down.

2007-09-04 2:56 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Yep... the training, nutrition, and fit will have the biggest impacts, BUT this completely neglects the fact that we all like our bike to LOOK fast too

Your bike will look much faster with aero wheels and an aero helmet.

One important thing is spending some time, or money on maintenance on keeping your hubs, bearings, chain etc.. lubed and in good condition. Dirty bearings and chains will definitely rob you of power.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upgrading my Bike Rss Feed