General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasons why I support my LBS... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-10-20 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Subject: Reasons why I support my LBS...
I recently priced my current bike and it's accesories online to get an idea what I might be able to get if I sold it. I realized that I could have saved some cash had I originally purchased my bike new from an online retailer, and I could have saved more if I had bought my aerobars online. But then I considered the service I've been given at the LBS where I purchased the bike (For those of you near central Maryland, it is Race Pace Bicycles, and I am convinced that I've made out much better in the long run.

Consider the following:

I bought a road bike and did not like the handlebars that came with it. They replaced them for me and only charged me for the difference in cost between the original bars and the new bars. They did not charge me for things like new tape on the handlebar, which other LBS might have done.

While replacing the handlebars they installed the aerobars I purchased from them free of charge. Most LBS would charge for the installation and re-fitting when converting a road bike to a modified tri setup.

They also re-wired my computer around the new bars and installed a computer "holder" on the aerobars, no charge.

After riding the bike for several months I took it back for a re-fitting. They replaced my stem and added some spacers (no charge) and spent 45 minutes tweaking the setup to get the bike more comfortable in an aero position (no easy task on an entry level road bike!). Free.

Just this week they replaced my sealed bottom bracket, free of charge, because it was loose and creaking. It was only a couple months old, but it had 700 miles on it and was technically beyond warranty - they were not obligated to replace it for me, but they did.

Just this week they replaced my entire computer, cadence monitor included, because the one I purchased from them was acting 'flaky'. Again, it was beyond warranty and they were not obligated to replace it. Not only that, but they installed a BETTER computer with a total rear wheel sensor system, so it now works on my trainer (my old one was a off-brand with a front wheel sensor, useless on the trainer). All of this for $7 - the cost difference between my old computer original purchase price and the price of the new Cateye they installed.

Every time I've gone in, they seem genuinely interested in how I'm riding, what races I'm doing, and seem to really like to simply 'talk bikes' or demonstrate the latest offering by Trek, Klien, or Lemond.

I have purchased riding gloves, computer batteries, tubes, a new chain, lubricants from them, and I've paid for some routine maintainence and repairs for them, so it's a 2-way mutually beneficial relationship. I also know that I can go back with any defective parts and they will handle any warranty replacements for me, instead of being forced to contact the factory myself to take care of replacements or repairs.

Try getting that type of service online.

2004-10-20 3:19 PM
in reply to: #74465

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Reasons why I support my LBS...
Yep, that's why I like LOVE my LBS, Holmes Cycling and Fitness, in Camp Hill, PA. I recently "discovered" them while shopping for my first road bike this summer. Even though I've only purchased a bike and a few doo-dads from them, every time I walk in, they treat me like I am their one and only customer. I've been really happy with my bike, but I've been even happier with their service. If I bring it in for them to adjust something or to true a wheel, they almost always have it back to me in a day or two at the most. Sometimes, they'll even adjust it while I wait if they aren't super busy! When they suggested that some of the creaking coming from the front of my bike was from the adjustable stem, I thought, great, here we go with the stem upgrade fee. TO my surprise they offered to exchange it for a fixed stem for nothing, nada, zip. They would even take the time to fit me for the right length and rise/drop. I was speechless. It is truly amazing the kind of relationship you can have when you find a shop (scuba diving, cycling, running, etc.) that understands how important it is to have a great relationship with their customers. They knew about my race, always ask how my training is going, etc. When it's time for new shoes, helmet, etc. - they will be my first and only stop.

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2004-10-20 3:22 PM
2004-10-20 3:23 PM

Regular
Washington
That's really true. I did my research online. I was looking for a comfort bike; I'd seen several different kinds around town.

But going to the bikeshop was the way to go. I went back a couple of times and tried lots of bikes. They seemed happy to let me test drive, had lots of suggestions. It wasn't expensive as bikes go--around $350 with a couple of accessories. But they treated the sale like it was one of their elite models. Any problems, just bring it back. It's just so great to connect up with people who like what they're doing and know what they're doing.
2004-10-20 4:28 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Unfortunately, my LBS is nothing like that. After purchasing a set of cycling shoes, the inserts for my clipless pedals, and a tune up for my ebay bought bike, I asked them to adjust the seat to a height they feel would most fit my my leg length and body. The answer was...we're sorry, we normally charge for that sort of thing. A seat adjustment!!!! I just dropped around $150 bucks, they were 1 week late from the time they said they'd have it done, misplaced a spare wheel I brought in. Maybe I'm too much of a newbie in the cycling world, but I don't get this.

More than happy to steer others away from this one: Elon Bike Shop. Elon, North Carolina

Edited by jkbostic 2004-10-20 4:29 PM
2004-10-20 4:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee
Not that my LBS is so local anymore ( I drive from Milwaukee to Sheboygan Falls) but I recently became a second generation buyer from Bicycle Works in Sheboygan Falls. The owner of the new store use to work at Bike N'Ski and recently opened his own store. I have bought every bike I ever owned (not to mention rollerblades and snowboard equipment) from this guy - Bill. The service is always great and they offer all sorts of freebies - tune-ups etc not to mention did a great job fitting me and matching me to my bike. Plus when they found out I had to drive back to Milwaukee they even got the bike ready for pick-up the same day.
2004-10-20 5:15 PM
in reply to: #74502

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
jkbostic - 2004-10-20 4:28 PM

Unfortunately, my LBS is nothing like that. After purchasing a set of cycling shoes, the inserts for my clipless pedals, and a tune up for my ebay bought bike, I asked them to adjust the seat to a height they feel would most fit my my leg length and body. The answer was...we're sorry, we normally charge for that sort of thing. A seat adjustment!!!! I just dropped around $150 bucks, they were 1 week late from the time they said they'd have it done, misplaced a spare wheel I brought in. Maybe I'm too much of a newbie in the cycling world, but I don't get this.

More than happy to steer others away from this one: Elon Bike Shop. Elon, North Carolina

Jeff,

It's a short drive for you, but I have nothing but great things to say about Cycling Spoken Here, in Cary. They have treated me fantastic. I guess "Local" bike shop can be a relative term, huh?

2004-10-20 5:41 PM

Regular
Washington
I should've mentioned the name of my LBS. It's in SeaTac, south of Seattle--Angle Lake Cyclery.
2004-10-20 11:35 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Some LBS are great, some are not.  There are two in my town.  Both of these shops are in Livermore, CA

Livermore Cyclery - who have always been friendly, helpful, but not pushy.  They have given me good advice, helped me with my last saddle purchase, listened to my questions etc.  I need a new bike, it's pretty likely I'll get it from them.  I have to say, the appearance of their staff has been somewhat intimidating upon occasion - think spiked hair, odd piercings, tattoos - an image of a person who would have nothing in common with me, and who I would have a hard time talking to.  However, they have been great to deal with.

The other is Cal Bicycles.  I've been in there once, a few years ago, and I'll never go back.  Why?  Because the person who I was talking to about buying a road bike (who superficially looked like someone more approachable than the guys/gals at Livermore Cyclery) was dismissive, acted like a car salesman, and did not listen to what I actually wanted a bike for.  He actually tried to sell me a "cruiser."  Not at all what I wanted or what I was looking for.  At that time, I was unaware of the other bike shop.  I was just getting into cycling and didn't really know a lot.  I blame this bike shop directly for the fact I've been riding a "piece of crap" (that's a technical term) bike.  After I talked to them I ended up buying a bike from ebay (bad decision if you don't know what you're doing) because I didn't even want to talk to anyone else, due to the bad experience I had.

Another shop for triathletes specificially in the Bay Area is Transition Sports.  I've never bought a bike there, but I've bought a lot of other stuff.  Krag and his staff are great to deal with as well. 

It matters a lot to me how comfortable I feel.  Treat me well as a customer, and I'll be there for life.  Treat me like crap, and I won't complain, but I won't ever come back either.

2004-10-21 6:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

econway - 2004-10-20 2:04 PM . Try getting that type of service online.

Amen to that econoway! 

I'm still using my 15yo road bike, but all the upgrades I've purchased (clipless pedals, shoes, aerobars ...etc) have been at my LBS. From my very first visit they were fantastic. Since one of the women is a triathete turned strickly runner this year, she offered to lend me her wetsuit for the season - I was a complete stranger to her at that point!!!  They give me the team discount, have provided emergency tire changing repair lessons to me, and have generally supported me in so many ways. A trip in there for even the simplest takes at least 1/2 hr as they love to share stories and want to know what/how my races are going!

Lots of people I know have bought things cheaper, but especially for someone llike me without alot of bike knowledge (they/we are working on that still!), the value of having people I trust help me take care of my darling bike - priceless!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reasons why I support my LBS... Rss Feed