Columbia Triathlon Association
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 2s
Overall Rank = 107/1200
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/122
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am. Ate usual breakfast. Sipped water and accelerade all morning. Had a cliff block shot about 20 minutes before start.
Event warmup:

Stretching and a couple of short swim sprints. Not much really.
Swim
  • 30m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water temperature really was too warm for full wetsuits. I actually thought I was having a good swim up to about the 1000 meter mark. I was overheating and losing power so bad the last 500 meters. I swam a little off course into the channel and I think the current picked me up a little. Just a horrible last 500 meters. Swimming continues to be the thing that is preventing me from placing really well in these things. Just a terrible swim....very frustrating.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need a sleeveless to help prevent overheating in these 70+ temperature swims. Other than that I would have tried to stay on course a little better the last 500 meters and draft some. Perhaps stop once and a while to get some cool water in the suit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Felt pretty hot and miserable coming out of the water. I went as fast as I could but just felt to crappy to have a fast transition. T1 was sort of a cluster**** anyway with the packing of stuff in the garbage bags.

Not sure.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 48s
  • 23.6 miles
  • 22.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the bike. I was so overheated from the swim that it took me a good 5 miles or so to get in a decent rythm. I was averaging about 20mph at the 5 mile mark on a fairly flat course which isn't all that great. The 2nd half of the ride was really fast and that's where I made up alot of time.

Figure out how I can have a better start to the bike. The same thing happened at Columbia. It took me a good 15 minutes to cool down and feel good on the bike after the swim. I'm not sure how to fix this.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Jumped off bike (first time) and had a decent transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 42m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I can't help but be a little disappointed with my run. I should have been able to run 40-41 minutes on this course without too much of a problem. My run time was good....but not what I expected. I could tell at mile 1 that it wasn't going to be a great run. I had my buddy Dave ahead of me that kept me moving. I ended up catching him with 1.5 miles to go and was really starting to bonk at this point. Dave (jhulax on BT) increased his pace and I had to give 120% to stay with him. He was nice enough to lead me home and we ended up crossing the line together which was cool. Great race Dave!!!! After I crossed the line I actually passed out and had to be dragged to the baby pool. It didn't take long to regain my composure but I can't say that has ever happened before. I'm not sure if it was due to dehydration or overheating. I'm thinking overheating was the cause because I really never felt comfortable after that miserable, hot swim.
Post race
Warm down:

I was dragged from the finish by volunteers to the baby pool. I don't really remember this. I woke up and saw somebody above me putting on rubber gloves. This was enough to get me up and drinking fluids. I'm not sure what he was going to do to me...but I'm sure it wouldn't have been fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Figure out why I had such a terrible swim and what caused the not-so-great run. I was either overheated or dehydrated (maybe both) on the run. Need to figure out how to prevent that in the future.

Event comments:

Setting things up on Saturday was a little confusing. I don't have too much experience with triathlons and the double transition zone thing was a bit confusing to me. I was worried that things were going to be equally as confusing on Sunday but they weren't. The event on Sunday was almost perfectly run. The course was great, the volunteers were great and the police were great. Mile markers would have been nice though.

I can't help but think that I should have been able to have a 2:15 on this course. With simply an average swim and a better run this would have been possible. I know I can run a sub-40 on a course like this but it just didn't work out that way. I also need some work on the swim/bike transition. I have such an uneasy feeling coming out of the water that it takes me a while on the bike to shake it.

Last updated: 2007-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 54/122
Overall: 424/1200
Performance: Below average
Suit: Full Zoot Z2
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:01:48 | 23.6 miles | 22.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/122
Overall: 88/1200
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out of city dock and around some back roads. Fairly flat with some rollers.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:45 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/122
Overall: 60/1200
Performance: Average
Course: Around roads close to Stadium.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 7:45 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Subject: Annapolis Triathlon

2007-09-10 8:41 AM
in reply to: #957664

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: RE: Annapolis Triathlon
Excellent race, despite overheating early on. Passing out is pretty scary stuff, though. Hope you're okay now. Congrats on a top 10% placement!
2007-09-10 8:52 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Congrats on a great race! Even with the medical issues!
2007-09-10 8:53 AM
in reply to: #957757

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Congrats on the finish and that sucks about passing out!

At least you weren't the guy they were rolling out on a stretcher with an IV later!

2007-09-10 9:00 AM
in reply to: #957779

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Thanks everybody.

I can't say for sure that I completely passed out because I do remember snap shots of being dragged away from the finish. Definately wasn't fun though.

By the way, anybody notice how strong the 20-24 field was? Looks like the Army and Navy triathlon teams were out on Sunday.
2007-09-10 9:15 AM
in reply to: #957796

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Yes, Army, Navy and Air Force Academies were there.  It was the "President's Cup" race for them.  The top Academy team would take home the honors.

So most of the top overall finishers were young and from the service academies.

2007-09-10 9:39 AM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Wow, great times all around!!!!  Nice job. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Annapolis Triathlon Rss Feed