setupevents
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 49s
Overall Rank = 47/235
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/30
Pre-race routine:

Starting on sat, I vol for the Patriot Half Ironman, as bike coordinator for the water stops. Abby's girl scout troop was there to help all the bikers and they had a blast!! After a busy day, went to packet pick-up and was very surprised to see a huge line. Got talking with a few women that were there to do their first race. I remember being one of them, this time last year, and then realized that I have come a long way in one year.
Event warmup:

It's nice to have a race so close to home!!!! Got to sleep in a bit. Up at 6:00 and ate some oatmeal, drank a cup of coffe with hubby then drove out to the race site. It's only about 3 miles to Jamestown. Put the bike in transition area, body marked, and then got my timing chip. Had to find me a new swim cap buddy for this race. Klynne wasn't there to help me, so Carrie did the honors today. THANKS. Being allergic to latex can be a big pain. Chatted with all the C.A.T. members and was very excited to have our club so well represented for this race as well as the HIM!!!
Swim
  • 11m 23s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Our AG was the third to go out and we left at 8:12. The water was pretty warm and I decided not to wear the wetsuit being 500M it wasn't worth the effort to get it off. Plus a few of the guys from yesterday said that they got to overheated. I have been swimming in the James for 2 months not wearing it anyway. Water was very shallow out to the first bouy, so I had to dolphin dive almost the whole way. Once I got out there it started to get a bit crowded and got hit a few times but nothing terrible. Managed to get into a flow pretty early and did feestyle most of the time. The only time I didn't was to breaststroke to sight and catch my breath.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing to do different except to maybe not breaststroke at all. My sighting was really good this race.
Transition 1
  • 05m 21s
Comments:

OH MY GOSH that way a long haul back to the transition. I figure almost 1/2 mile. I knew from yesterday that it was a long run through a field, so hubby took my flipflops over to the swim exit and I did stop to slide them on. Once I got back to the bike I didn't even waste time trying to get all the grass off and just put the bike shoes on.

Maybe run a bit faster through the field?
Bike
  • 31m 48s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.87 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I knew I could seriously make some time! This course is literally my back yard and I ride it all the time. I pushed hard where I could and took Greenspring hill with little problem. Coming down Monticello, just before the bridge I heard a tire blow and saw a child crash into someone else. Two other ladies had stopped. I slowed down a bit to see if everyone was alright. They said yes, so I pressed on. I did have a twinge of guilt for not stopping to help(I guess because I'm a MOM), but I also wanted to do really well at this race. A lady passed me coming out greenspring and I tried the entire race to catch her, with no luck:(

Nothing, I am extremely pleased with my bike!
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I decided to run with no socks and am still slow in transition.

Work on getting shoes off before the dismount.
Run
  • 19m 56s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This is where I stink. I really need to work on my slow run, but it is a slow progress for me. I tried to push harder, but coming out of the transition my right calf started to cramp a bit. I did enjoy this run because I saw everyone from the club out there and we got to say hi and cheer each other on!! Hubby and the girls were just before the finish and Abby ran in with me:)

Get faster!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finishers medal, which was really a nice surprise. Grabbed a gatorade and went to cheer Mindy into the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running.

Event comments:

This was the best finish for me. It was a fun all womens race, but I wish they would have made it a full sprint distance. I will def do this race again!! There were alot of spectators to cheer everyone on. I actually think that there was more for this race than the HIM. Watching everyone come in from the HIM really inspired me to push hard for this race. What made the day was seeing three of our C.A.T members walking away with the top awards for there catagories. Congrats to Connie for 1st in Masters, Olivia for 1st in my AG and Kristin for her top AG win. Makes me proud to be in the same club with such great women.

Last updated: 2007-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:23 | 547 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/30
Overall: 107/235
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: rectangle course in the James river and had to keep the bouys on our right.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:21
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:31:48 | 10 miles | 18.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/30
Overall: 31/235
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Small cirle loop. I got to go right past the entrance to my neighborhood.:)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:19:56 | 02 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/30
Overall: 93/235
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on the colonial parkway
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: Lady Patriot

2007-09-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: #957667

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Lady Patriot

WooHoo! 4th in AG is awesome. That was a great race. Having someone to chase on the bike probably helped you a lot and your run was still a good time. Glad you had fun out there. Well Done!

2007-09-10 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
congratulations, susan! whatta sooper fast bike split! i'll take sub 10's running after an 18mph bike any day... celebrate that success!
2007-09-10 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
You had an awesome race and you totally rock! It was a great weekend of events and tons of fun!
2007-09-10 11:31 AM

I'm still excited about this race, so I'm posting again. If you wore that pink outfit during the race, I think you passed me on the bike part.

I came in 11/29 for my age group and 57th overall. I saw one of the moms of one of the girls on my soccer team last season came in 56th, so I e-mailed her. Her older daughter did it as well.

I hope they do this race every year. I would like to try a sprint, but I think they should keep this distance for the Lady Patriot, since I loved meeting other women doing their first triathlon in line to get my packet and I think the distances and the fact that it was a "woman only" race made more women come out to do it and more young girls. I am bugging my 11-year old to do it with me already. I think it would be great if this race became well known as a really good race for women/girls to get started in triathlons.

I was happy with my performance. I finished 16th overall for just the run. I sprinted the finish and that was really fun. (I also sprinted when I saw a racoon approaching the run course...ha) My transitions were pretty bad. I didn't have a bottle cage on my bike, so I spent too much time drinking water during the transitions, but now I know....

I'm planning to get involved with the Colonial Tri Club. I meant to ask my neighbor at the bus stop this morning about it.

Anyway, hope to meet you in person soon.

AmyF
Williamsburg, VA
www.sofiabean.com

2007-09-10 2:24 PM

User image

Veteran
What an awesome race you had!!!!  4th in your AG - you rock.  Super speedy bike, and don't even complain about a sub 10min/mile pace on the runSmile  Way to go!!!

2007-09-10 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
What can I say??? You are awesome, great job girlfriend!
2007-09-10 3:20 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
GREAT RACE!  You really kicked my butt throughout the whole thing:-)
2007-09-10 4:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

sk2a2005 - 2007-09-10 8:22 AM Congrats on a great race. Very impressive to do 2 HIMs in one season.  I enjoyed your race report and sorry that you missed your goal. Loved the chance to vol for this race and see everyone having a good time.

Great RR, and congrats on 4th in your AG!  That is excellent.  You sound like me ... good swim, spectacular bike, run ... um ... er a focus for next year!

Thank you so much for volunteering on Saturday.  I always try to say thank you, but if I didn't you are definitely appreciated!  The course was really awesome.  I liked the changes to the run course, especially anywhere there was shade!

Congrats on a great finish - keep up the momentum!

2007-09-11 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Great race, it is nice to know the course so that you can push hard. Hopefully this will become a yearly event for the area.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lady Patriot Rss Feed