General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick Before A Race - NEED ADVICE!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-10 9:25 AM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Sick Before A Race - NEED ADVICE!!!
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to draw on some more experienced racer's wisdom here. I started feeling sick about 3 weeks ago and ran a low fever, etc. Well the fever went away but I was left with a lingering cough. I finally went to the doctor last week and he said it was bronchitis and put me on antibiotics. That was Thurs and today is Monday and I woke up yesterday feeling worse again (achy, low energy, congested) and my cough is a little better, but still here. I am supposed to do my first Olympic race this Saturday, but I'm worried about pushing myself too far. I have 4 days ahead of me, I know, but I am just worried! I don't want to push myself just to do it, but I am so torn. I wasn't able to train yesterday and feel like I should probably take today off, too which also doesn't bode well for getting race ready.

Does anyone have any input on this? Doing this olympic is a bit of a stretch for me, but I've been training really hard and have put in a lot of time and feel I'm ready. If it was just a sprint, I wouldn't worry, but I know this distance is going to be hard on my body and I keep reading all this scary stuff about racing after just being sick.

Thoughts/Advice PLEASE!

2007-09-10 9:47 AM
in reply to: #957847

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
Subject: RE: Sick Before A Race - NEED ADVICE!!!

First - rest do not train.  Get whatever good drugs the doctor will give you.

An oly is not a whole lot longer than a sprint.  Keep that in mind.  The biggest increase is the swim, percent wise.

An oly is short enough that you really can't get into hydration issues. 

You will likely need to be more mentally tough.  Embrace the feelings of a longer race and being sick.  Dig down and realize you will make the race.  Not can, but will. 

2007-09-10 11:10 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Listen to your body. Train lightly this week if you can (should be a taper anyway), just to keep things 'oiled'--start out slow and see how it feels.

If you're starting to feel better, great, by all means do the race. If you take a turn for the worse, it's a judgement call ... maybe race just to finish (esp. since it's your first Oly) instead of pushing yourself at any given pace. 

Good luck!

2007-09-12 7:02 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Thanks for the great advice. Somehow I have a feeling these words will come back to me:

"Dig down and realize you will make the race. Not can, but will."

Thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sick Before A Race - NEED ADVICE!!! Rss Feed