General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training: How can I get fast faster ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-09-14 8:34 AM
in reply to: #964255

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: HR Training: How can I get fast faster ?
Aikidoman - 2007-09-13 8:19 PM
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-13 4:07 PM

Aikidoman - 2007-09-13 5:24 PM I don't agree. My tri plan has me running three times a week and I am faster now than I ever have been and I just turned in a PR for a 10k. I am faster now than when I was strictly into running back in Colorado and going out for 35 to 50 miles a week running 5 to 6 times a week.

You're clearly not coming from a similar background as the OP are you?  Don't you think that 35-50 miles and 5-6x/wk have had some positive impact on your running base?

"Clearly" you didn't read my post well enough. I was responding to the previous post (which I quoted) that states that 2 - 3 runs a week is not enough to improve run times. I disagree (assuming that the original post is tri training), and by personal experience, have improved my run times significantly with exactly that, 3 runs a week (plus all the tri training which I mentioned) and doing about 20 - 25 mpw (similar to the OP). Of course 35-50 miles and 5-6x/wk had some positive impact on my running base, but does change the fact that that I improved my times (the orginal question) based on 2 to 3 run a week and set a new PR for 10k? Nope.....

No.  "Clearly" you missed the context of the other posts in this thread and decided to start a seperate agrument about something that's worked for you. 

2007-09-14 11:14 AM
in reply to: #964628

User image

Sensei
Sin City
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 6:34 AM

Aikidoman - 2007-09-13 8:19 PM
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-13 4:07 PM

Aikidoman - 2007-09-13 5:24 PM I don't agree. My tri plan has me running three times a week and I am faster now than I ever have been and I just turned in a PR for a 10k. I am faster now than when I was strictly into running back in Colorado and going out for 35 to 50 miles a week running 5 to 6 times a week.

You're clearly not coming from a similar background as the OP are you?  Don't you think that 35-50 miles and 5-6x/wk have had some positive impact on your running base?

"Clearly" you didn't read my post well enough. I was responding to the previous post (which I quoted) that states that 2 - 3 runs a week is not enough to improve run times. I disagree (assuming that the original post is tri training), and by personal experience, have improved my run times significantly with exactly that, 3 runs a week (plus all the tri training which I mentioned) and doing about 20 - 25 mpw (similar to the OP). Of course 35-50 miles and 5-6x/wk had some positive impact on my running base, but does change the fact that that I improved my times (the orginal question) based on 2 to 3 run a week and set a new PR for 10k? Nope.....

No.  "Clearly" you missed the context of the other posts in this thread and decided to start a seperate agrument about something that's worked for you. 

I just read the entire thread again, and if you mean that I didn't get the context of the rest of the posts because I didn't agree with the simple answer of "more milage" - then your right. I didn't agree with the simple answer of more milage so I guess I missed the context.

I did two things - responded to one previous post that stated that 2 - 3 runs "won't cut it". I just don't think that's true. If you train smart during your 3 runs, you can make improvements. I'm not some genetic freak that can make improvements with only three runs per week while no one else can.

Then, in my third paragraph, I directly responded to the OP by suggesting alternate workouts to help with speed - which they originaly asked for.

I just get tired of eveyone giving the pat answer "more", "more", "more". Whether it be time in the saddle or miles of running. Training is not about doing more, but training smart and maximizing results in the time you spend training.

If you only have time for three runs a week, I know you can make improvments to your running times by mixing up speed work, hills, intervals, Fartlek, LSD, recovery runs etc.

Just putting in 5 runs a week will get you faster too, but it's not the only way. If it was, why don't most tri training plans have you running 5 times a week? Every plan I have used has 3 runs a week with about 25 miles per week.

Maybe it is a perspective thing. Looks like you have been doing this a long time and you may need to run 5 times a week and get over 100 miles biking to make any additional improvments. The rest of us don't have that kind of time or desire to get in 5 days of running and 100 miles biking. But as beginners, we can optimize our time to make as many gains as possible. Eventually, we will have to add more time/miles in if we want to make improvments.

We can agree to disagree - that is all the rest I will say in this matter.
2007-09-14 11:23 AM
in reply to: #964538

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Scout7 - 2007-09-14 5:26 AM

As was mentioned, every run counts.  There's always a debate going on somewhere about "junk" miles, but the definition can be vague, and varies depending on who you talk to or read.  But that's another issue altogether.  Suffice it to say that every time you step out that door to go for a run, it counts.  At the very least, you will learn something about yourself that day (sometimes you learn that you're tired or injured, but you learn something).

We've already seen the debate about exactly how many days to run.  Best suggestion that can be given: As many days as you can, within the limits of your time constraints, and what your body, and mind, can handle.  Do you need to run 100+ mi weeks?  Doubtful.  But I would say that a good goal to strive for (depending on what your current training goals are) would be anywhere from about 30-50 at the peak.  If you don't, you don't and it's not the end of the world.  What that mix is, I think Shane gave a real good example of how to mix things up.  And that's pretty similar to what most plans will suggest, too.    In terms of the percentages, I generally agree with Shane on that as well, but there are a few instances where you'll see a reason to have a long run at a higher percentage.  But that's only a couple times, and that's for a lower-mileage marathon plan.

I agree with every word - and the point I was trying to make - probably more concise and less argumentative than I wrote.
2007-09-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: #964987

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Aikidoman - 2007-09-14 11:14 AM Maybe it is a perspective thing. Looks like you have been doing this a long time and you may need to run 5 times a week and get over 100 miles biking to make any additional improvments. The rest of us don't have that kind of time or desire to get in 5 days of running and 100 miles biking. But as beginners, we can optimize our time to make as many gains as possible. Eventually, we will have to add more time/miles in if we want to make improvments. We can agree to disagree - that is all the rest I will say in this matter.

It's never a matter of need, but rather a matter of goals. If you're happy with your results given your training volume, more power to you. But the answer to the question at hand (How can I get fast faster ?) revolves around both quantity and quality of training. For beginners ESPECIALLY the fastest way to improve is to slowly and safely increase your volume. The sooner you recognize there's a co-relation between cycling <50mpw and posting bike splits of <17mph, the faster you'll improve.

2007-09-14 11:50 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I just read the entire thread again, and if you mean that I didn't get the context of the rest of the posts because I didn't agree with the simple answer of "more milage" - then your right. I didn't agree with the simple answer of more milage so I guess I missed the context.

I did two things - responded to one previous post that stated that 2 - 3 runs "won't cut it". I just don't think that's true. If you train smart during your 3 runs, you can make improvements. I'm not some genetic freak that can make improvements with only three runs per week while no one else can.

Then, in my third paragraph, I directly responded to the OP by suggesting alternate workouts to help with speed - which they originaly asked for.

I just get tired of eveyone giving the pat answer "more", "more", "more". Whether it be time in the saddle or miles of running. Training is not about doing more, but training smart and maximizing results in the time you spend training.

If you only have time for three runs a week, I know you can make improvments to your running times by mixing up speed work, hills, intervals, Fartlek, LSD, recovery runs etc.

Just putting in 5 runs a week will get you faster too, but it's not the only way. If it was, why don't most tri training plans have you running 5 times a week? Every plan I have used has 3 runs a week with about 25 miles per week.

Maybe it is a perspective thing. Looks like you have been doing this a long time and you may need to run 5 times a week and get over 100 miles biking to make any additional improvments. The rest of us don't have that kind of time or desire to get in 5 days of running and 100 miles biking. But as beginners, we can optimize our time to make as many gains as possible. Eventually, we will have to add more time/miles in if we want to make improvments.

We can agree to disagree - that is all the rest I will say in this matter.

Easy, killer.  Maybe you missed the smiley at the end of my post.  Don't take it so personal. 

Sure.  Coming from a background of little running, many people can make gains at 3x/wk if done consistently.  And coming from the couch, the cross-training can also help as cardio is a limiter.  Frankly, that's what I did for awhile too, as I also had to find the time to get better at swimming and cycling.  The OP has actually been running 0-3x/wk from what I see, so maybe the inconsistency is hurting more than the 3x issue right now.

But the best way to make lasting improvements is still going to be to run more frequently.  You may not have plateaued yet, but you will.  3x will not keep moving the ball forward.  The cross-training benefits will lessen.  And it is also not ideal for most people trying to build durability--the ability to keep running consistently without injury.  You may have in fact benefitted from this factor substantially by running more in the past, allowing you to maintain a 3x schedule while mixing in intensity.  The "won't cut it" was not written in response to your unique set of circumstances but to the OPs (and, frankly, can probably be applied to more people than your set can).

And lastly, "more" is more than just volume.  Intensity has its place and can be added to make "more".  But too many people don't understand where that place is.  And it doesn't change the fact that for most beginners, intensity is best held to a minimum--especially on the run.

I'm OK if we disagree on any of this.  Again, it's nothing personal. 

2007-09-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: #965012

User image

Sensei
Sin City
the bear - 2007-09-14 9:28 AM

Aikidoman - 2007-09-14 11:14 AM Maybe it is a perspective thing. Looks like you have been doing this a long time and you may need to run 5 times a week and get over 100 miles biking to make any additional improvments. The rest of us don't have that kind of time or desire to get in 5 days of running and 100 miles biking. But as beginners, we can optimize our time to make as many gains as possible. Eventually, we will have to add more time/miles in if we want to make improvments. We can agree to disagree - that is all the rest I will say in this matter.

It's never a matter of need, but rather a matter of goals. If you're happy with your results given your training volume, more power to you. But the answer to the question at hand (How can I get fast faster ?) revolves around both quantity and quality of training. For beginners ESPECIALLY the fastest way to improve is to slowly and safely increase your volume. The sooner you recognize there's a co-relation between cycling <50mpw and posting bike splits of <17mph, the faster you'll improve.

I would agree, but in a majority of responses to this type of question the only answer is more, more, and more, or T.I.T.S or "ride lots". Is that the only message to be telling Beginner Triathletes?

Now, if you mention safely and slowly (I would say no more than 10% max increase per week) as you did, you would be preaching to the choir in my case. This the best way to make improvements, establish a base and incorporate speed training later.

I just know that when I first started here at BT as a complete newbie asking questions such as this, I got the same answers. As long as I "rode lots" I would improve - it's just not that simple. If you are used to doing 30 miles and jump to 100 in one week - you will hurt yourself. And I'm telling you, as a beginner, that is the impression you get when you read most of the responses to questions like this. I think it's a diservice to Beginner Triathletes to give them the simple answer of 5 runs a week and 100+ miles to improve without explaining how to get to those amounts safely.

It would be like someone asking me on the golf course "how can I lower my golf score" and my response would be "play more golf" and walking away. Yes, that may be a correct answer that works, but there are drills, skill training, and better ways to utilize your time other than just "playing more" every time out there, you have to make the most of it.

I have to give you props because you are one of the rare individuals who even mention slowy and safely and training smarter with the generic answer of "more".

2007-09-14 12:02 PM
in reply to: #965060

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Aikidoman - 2007-09-14 11:53 AM
the bear - 2007-09-14 9:28 AM

I would agree, but in a majority of responses to this type of question the only answer is more, more, and more, or T.I.T.S or "ride lots". Is that the only message to be telling Beginner Triathletes? Now, if you mention safely and slowly (I would say no more than 10% max increase per week) as you did, you would be preaching to the choir in my case. This the best way to make improvements, establish a base and incorporate speed training later. I just know that when I first started here at BT as a complete newbie asking questions such as this, I got the same answers. As long as I "rode lots" I would improve - it's just not that simple. If you are used to doing 30 miles and jump to 100 in one week - you will hurt yourself. And I'm telling you, as a beginner, that is the impression you get when you read most of the responses to questions like this. I think it's a diservice to Beginner Triathletes to give them the simple answer of 5 runs a week and 100+ miles to improve without explaining how to get to those amounts safely. It would be like someone asking me on the golf course "how can I lower my golf score" and my response would be "play more golf" and walking away. Yes, that may be a correct answer that works, but there are drills, skill training, and better ways to utilize your time other than just "playing more" every time out there, you have to make the most of it. I have to give you props because you are one of the rare individuals who even mention slowy and safely and training smarter with the generic answer of "more".

Huge difference between biking/running and golf in that golf, like swimminjg, IMHO is a technique-oriented sport. If you just go out and do volume without addressing technique you can very possibly be emphasizing and learning bad skills and habits which will need to be corrected down the road.

With biking and running, not so much. And really, the only thing you hear on here more than Run/Ride Lots is the 10% rule and to increase slowly and safely. Sorry if you missed that, but it is a vital part of the answer.

2007-09-14 12:18 PM
in reply to: #965060

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Aikidoman - 2007-09-14 11:53 AM If you are used to doing 30 miles and jump to 100 in one week - you will hurt yourself. And I'm telling you, as a beginner, that is the impression you get when you read most of the responses to questions like this. I think it's a diservice to Beginner Triathletes to give them the simple answer of 5 runs a week and 100+ miles to improve without explaining how to get to those amounts safely.

If a beginner really gets those impressions, they're not paying attention or reading enough.  I started here as a complete beginner with NO background in any of the sports.  And the message was not hard to get if you paid attention or asked a direct question on the subject.  It's still not.

What most people here require is PATIENCE (see my first response in this thread).  And I know it's hard when you get going and are filled with excitement for the sport and want to see improvements from your work.  It's easy to get caught up in "speed" intervals and aero gear and forget about the really important stuff.  I often have trouble taking my own advice.

2007-09-14 12:22 PM
in reply to: #965051

User image

Sensei
Sin City
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 9:50 AM

Sure.  Coming from a background of little running, many people can make gains at 3x/wk if done consistently.  And coming from the couch, the cross-training can also help as cardio is a limiter.  Frankly, that's what I did for awhile too, as I also had to find the time to get better at swimming and cycling.  The OP has actually been running 0-3x/wk from what I see, so maybe the inconsistency is hurting more than the 3x issue right now.

But the best way to make lasting improvements is still going to be to run more frequently.  You may not have plateaued yet, but you will.  3x will not keep moving the ball forward.  The cross-training benefits will lessen.  And it is also not ideal for most people trying to build durability--the ability to keep running consistently without injury.  You may have in fact benefitted from this factor substantially by running more in the past, allowing you to maintain a 3x schedule while mixing in intensity.  The "won't cut it" was not written in response to your unique set of circumstances but to the OPs (and, frankly, can probably be applied to more people than your set can).

And lastly, "more" is more than just volume.  Intensity has its place and can be added to make "more".  But too many people don't understand where that place is.  And it doesn't change the fact that for most beginners, intensity is best held to a minimum--especially on the run.

I'm OK if we disagree on any of this.  Again, it's nothing personal. 

Sorry if I came across too harsh. And I would agree with what you said above 100%. I am at that point now - and I have been adding milage and more time on the bike. That is what I need now to improve.

I'm just venting based on similar responses to the same questions I had 10 months ago. Few responses will ever tell a newbie to establish a solid foundation of aerobic base at the beggining by increasing time and milage about 10% a week until you are comfortable and safely running 35 miles a week and biking around 80. Then after a base is establised, incorporate some speed training.

I advocate an LT training method and found a good, but maybe a little dated, book called "Training Lactate Pulse-Rate" by Peter G.J.M. Janssen. In this book, it is recommended that 60% of your training should be at a "quiet" level or Zone 1 or 2 if translated. 30% at a moderate pace (maybe zone 3) and only 10% at an intesive pace (around your LT).

So, very little of your time should be speed work, but I think it should be included. If someone is not doing ANY speedwork, I think that dedicating 10% to 15% of your training time to speedwork or hills can help. It could also help mentaly, because these are "fun" workouts, at least for me.

Maybe few people want to make the effort to give more detailed training advice and give the simple (but I will agree, correct) answer of just "more".

I appreciate your last post and I don't take it personally - and maybe I can speak for other newbies, that sometimes it gets a little intimidating to ask questions or offer contrary opinions because it does feel like you get pounded by the IM'ers or pros sometimes. It just seems like they know so much and sharing a sharing personal experiences as a begginner gets intimidating.
2007-09-14 12:35 PM
in reply to: #965096

User image

Sensei
Sin City
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 10:18 AM

If a beginner really gets those impressions, they're not paying attention or reading enough.  I started here as a complete beginner with NO background in any of the sports.  And the message was not hard to get if you paid attention or asked a direct question on the subject.  It's still not.

What most people here require is PATIENCE (see my first response in this thread).  And I know it's hard when you get going and are filled with excitement for the sport and want to see improvements from your work.  It's easy to get caught up in "speed" intervals and aero gear and forget about the really important stuff.  I often have trouble taking my own advice.

Again, I agree with you. But could it be possible that maybe beginners may just read the responses to the thread they started and not do much other research ino old threads?

Maybe begginers don't even know how to ask a direct questions - I know I didn't at the beginning.

I like doing research, and did a lot of searching along with reading the responses to my posts and picked up on everything you guys are saying - so I feel like I'm training correctly and smartly for me.

I agree 100% about patience. I was guilty of that at the beginning too. I wanted to improve right away and gut frustrated that I didn't. It will happen over time with the correct training and dedication.
2007-09-14 12:47 PM
in reply to: #965071

User image

Sensei
Sin City
the bear - 2007-09-14 10:02 AM

And really, the only thing you hear on here more than Run/Ride Lots is the 10% rule and to increase slowly and safely. Sorry if you missed that, but it is a vital part of the answer.

Maybe that's true, but I didn't miss it. But I don't think that's talked about as much as you say. In this thread, it wasn't even mentioned until I said something on the 30th post.

Since it's a vital part of the answer, maybe it should be mentioned to the beginner triathlete along with adding more time and milage. If anything, just to advise those who may have not done all the other research.

But I guess it's ultimatly on the beginner to figure out that out for themselves.

2007-09-14 12:49 PM
in reply to: #965134

User image

Runner

Firstly, I apologize if I didn't mention about adding mileage/time in a slow, safe, manner.  You are 100% correct that those words should always be part of the advice given.  Speaking for myself, sometimes I forget to put that in there because I either thought it was said, or just....forget.  Experience can sometimes skew your perspective and make you miss mentioning something that needs to be mentioned.

As for specific advice about training...  My philosophy is like I posted.  There is a time and place for speedwork, sure.  To me, that time and place is in the peaking phase when getting ready for your "A" race.  Also, speedwork can be confusing.

Personally, I don't think the majority of people ever need to do "speedwork".  From what I've seen, they'll be better served by becoming more consistent firstly, and secondly adding volume; hence the reason I usually start with those two items.  I'm hesitant to suggest intervals or even harder tempo or progression runs to someone who hasn't met those first two things.  Heck, I don't do much more than tempo or progression runs, and those tend to be unstructured.  I got more miles to go before I feel comfortable doing repeats or that stuff.  Again, that's my take, and how I base my advice.  Your mileage may vary on many things here.

I'm not real big on HR training, so I can't comment on it specifically as to how it relates to what I do.  I have read, and have a pretty good understanding of, how it works, but I have chosen not to directly incorporate that. 

2007-09-14 12:52 PM
in reply to: #965105

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

OK.  Now that we're on the same page, I agree with most of that too.

The problem (or a problem) I see is that a beginner sees: 10% intensive pace and begins doing a weekly track session.  Say they spend just 20' of time "working" on the track.  If that's to be 10% of their week, they need to run 200' (or 180' more).  If they're running 2-3x/wk, what are the odds they're getting that kind of volume?  Most people just don't analyze their training that closely (and generally I don't blame them for that--whatever keeps it "fun" ).

Now, if they were to do that workout 1x/month to add some variation and keep things "fun" then I see less of a problem (though not much other training value in it).

A really detailed response requires a detailed input from the person asking the question.  Few questions provide that.  And many questions are asked with a bias for an answer they want to hear (e.g., "give me some good interval workouts" ) instead of asking the right question (e.g."should I do intervals?" ).

In the end, I feel the "simple" answer is usually the best in most cases and is the least likely to send someone down the wrong path.

Edit:  And you're right that some of us (at least I) often assume that people understand you need to build up to "more" gradually.  I should point it out more clearly, more often.  But usually when I see the problem of doing too much, it's going too hard as opposed to building too much volume.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2007-09-14 12:58 PM
2007-09-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: #965173

User image

Runner
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 1:52 PM

Most people just don't analyze their training that closely (and generally I don't blame them for that--whatever keeps it "fun".

You know, this brings up an interesting point that I was contemplating while running.

How many of us keep track of all the little details of our workouts that actually make them useful for review.  Sure, most of us track time, distance, pace.  But how many of us track how we feel, or make note of exactly the workout done?  I have gotten somewhat better at that part (I keep another log separate with my own little notes).

In order to review your stuff, you have to record it in a way that is meaningful to you.  I do see that advice as well, though, but I think it needs to be reiterated, maybe expanded upon.

2007-09-14 1:00 PM
in reply to: #965181

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Scout7 - 2007-09-14 12:57 PM
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 1:52 PM

Most people just don't analyze their training that closely (and generally I don't blame them for that--whatever keeps it "fun".

You know, this brings up an interesting point that I was contemplating while running.

How many of us keep track of all the little details of our workouts that actually make them useful for review.  Sure, most of us track time, distance, pace.  But how many of us track how we feel, or make note of exactly the workout done?  I have gotten somewhat better at that part (I keep another log separate with my own little notes).

In order to review your stuff, you have to record it in a way that is meaningful to you.  I do see that advice as well, though, but I think it needs to be reiterated, maybe expanded upon.

I almost always note the exact workout done.  Often where and under what conditions.  Usually note how I felt about the session.  But I'm a data freak.  You probably knew that already. 

2007-09-14 1:03 PM
in reply to: #965189

User image

Runner
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 2:00 PM

But I'm a data freak. You probably knew that already.

There, I fixed it for you.

I know some people do.  I'm just thinking that it might be important to note for someone who's never really tracked this stuff before. 

2007-09-14 1:06 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I just read the entire thread again, and if you mean that I didn't get the context of the rest of the posts because I didn't agree with the simple answer of "more milage" - then your right. I didn't agree with the simple answer of more milage so I guess I missed the context. I did two things - responded to one previous post that stated that 2 - 3 runs "won't cut it". >>> it won't in the long run if that is your obejective.

I just don't think that's true. If you train smart during your 3 runs, you can make improvements. I'm not some genetic freak that can make improvements with only three runs per week while no one else can. Then, in my third paragraph, I directly responded to the OP by suggesting alternate workouts to help with speed - which they originaly asked for. >>> Well yeah, we become fitter by stressing our bodies but hard sessions stress our body a lot more (and require more rest) and the body adapts to this within weeks. Hence you will need to stress it some more to produce further adaptations and grow fitter. How do you do that? Well train harder, and harder and harder, which without the proper base, will cause you to either plateau cuz you can’t/won’t train harder or eventually your body will break down. That’s why the approach for periodization.

I just get tired of eveyone giving the pat answer "more", "more", "more". Whether it be time in the saddle or miles of running. Training is not about doing more, but training smart and maximizing results in the time you spend training. >>> you can get tired about but it won;t make it go away . Wether you like it or not, you need to do MORE, either volume, intensity or both, but you DO need to do more *if* you want to improve.

If you only have time for three runs a week, I know you can make improvments to your running times by mixing up speed work, hills, intervals, Fartlek, LSD, recovery runs etc. >>> again you will gain but only for so long before you need more.

Just putting in 5 runs a week will get you faster too, but it's not the only way. If it was, why don't most tri training plans have you running 5 times a week? Every plan I have used has 3 runs a week with about 25 miles per week. Maybe it is a perspective thing. Looks like you have been doing this a long time and you may need to run 5 times a week and get over 100 miles biking to make any additional improvments. The rest of us don't have that kind of time or desire to get in 5 days of running and 100 miles biking. But as beginners, we can optimize our time to make as many gains as possible. Eventually, we will have to add more time/miles in if we want to make improvments. We can agree to disagree - that is all the rest I will say in this matter. >>> That’s why most BEGINNERS plans don't have more runs scheduled. Because most athletes don't have the time, desire or base to begin with. But if you really want to improve in the long term there is no easy way, no doing less to get more, no short cuts. And yes ANY training will be better the NO training but a few sessions a week will only take you so far. If you are ok with that then there is no need to add more as you will continue to improve slowly as long as you stay active, but that improvement will be limited, that’s all.

I will say this, there is desire from many to improve hence we get all this threads about HR training, how can I get faster, what aero wheels/tri bike I should get, etc. IOW the desire is there, what is not always there is the will to do the work or as much work.

2007-09-14 1:06 PM
in reply to: #965173

User image

Sensei
Sin City
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 10:52 AM

In the end, I feel the "simple" answer is usually the best in most cases and is the least likely to send someone down the wrong path.

Same goes for science (and yes, I am a "scientist). simple is most often correct and safe.

Any maybe I'm WAY too focused in this simple answer and wasting too much time debating it.

If I was to summarize how to get better in one general statement in response to a very general question (how do I get faster?), I too would say "do more". It will work, and work well.

When I give advice to an individual, I take on personal responsibility to that person to make sure that I at least divulge any concerns or caveats to that advice. I just don't want to see anyone hurt.
2007-09-14 1:09 PM
in reply to: #965198

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Scout7 - 2007-09-14 1:03 PM
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 2:00 PM

But I'm a data freak. You probably knew that already.

There, I fixed it for you.

I know some people do.  I'm just thinking that it might be important to note for someone who's never really tracked this stuff before. 

Good point (and acceptable correction).  I used to tell people this more, but using the logs here is great.  Many people like the "community" aspect of BT the best.  But I still think the logs are the single greatest part of BT...and they're FREE!!!!

2007-09-14 1:23 PM
in reply to: #965204

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Aikidoman - 2007-09-14 1:06 PM When I give advice to an individual, I take on personal responsibility to that person to make sure that I at least divulge any concerns or caveats to that advice. I just don't want to see anyone hurt.

OK. I'm going to pick on you a little bit now (again, nothing personal).

You're original post in this thread disagreed with "2-3 runs per week is not going to do it".  It explained how you were progressing on a 3x program just fine. 

It then went on to at least suggest something to the OP that worked for you--1 LSD, 2 shorter speed/tempo runs.  Seems to me that mix could easily end up being relatively intensity-heavy and risk injury to someone without the right base or without at least some more qualification about how to add the speed/tempo.  Which is why I pointed out that your background may make this advice less relevant to the OP.  I still find that to be the case.

Full circle now, huh? 

2007-09-14 1:24 PM
in reply to: #965203

User image

Sensei
Sin City
amiine - 2007-09-14 11:06 AM

That’s why most BEGINNERS plans don't have more runs scheduled. Because most athletes don't have the time, desire or base to begin with. But if you really want to improve in the long term there is no easy way, no doing less to get more, no short cuts. And yes ANY training will be better the NO training but a few sessions a week will only take you so far. If you are ok with that then there is no need to add more as you will continue to improve slowly as long as you stay active, but that improvement will be limited, that’s all.

I will say this, there is desire from many to improve hence we get all this threads about HR training, how can I get faster, what aero wheels/tri bike I should get, etc. IOW the desire is there, what is not always there is the will to do the work or as much work.

No argument from me. I'm a beginner along with probably most of the poeple on this site and proud of it. I'm happy with the gains I have made with my 3 runs per week. If I tried to do more, I most likely would be injured or overtrained by now. Couch to HIM in 10 months.

I am looking forward to when I can add more runs to my plan safely. Then I know I will be getting to the next level and making those long term gains you speak of.

I have made tremendious gains with my "beginner" 9 workouts per week (3 bike, swim, and run) averaging about 9 hours a week. That's far better than a year ago when I barely did anything but play softball.

I think that I have plateaued and going to 12 workouts per week is just what the Dr. ordered for me to get to the next level.

I guess I'm happy to be a "beginner" and will always be one in one aspect or another. There is always something new to learn.

2007-09-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: #965237

User image

Sensei
Sin City
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 11:23 AM

Aikidoman - 2007-09-14 1:06 PM When I give advice to an individual, I take on personal responsibility to that person to make sure that I at least divulge any concerns or caveats to that advice. I just don't want to see anyone hurt.

OK. I'm going to pick on you a little bit now (again, nothing personal).

You're original post in this thread disagreed with "2-3 runs per week is not going to do it".  It explained how you were progressing on a 3x program just fine. 

It then went on to at least suggest something to the OP that worked for you--1 LSD, 2 shorter speed/tempo runs.  Seems to me that mix could easily end up being relatively intensity-heavy and risk injury to someone without the right base or without at least some more qualification about how to add the speed/tempo.  Which is why I pointed out that your background may make this advice less relevant to the OP.  I still find that to be the case.

Full circle now, huh? 

Probably, I'm sure like most arguments, it will just start to go in circles. Ideas change during the exchange and views are revised - at least mine have been.

As a matter of fact - After pulling out my book last night to research this issue, I realized that I may be doing too much high intensity training in my own workouts and may need to readjust. BUT, in my defense, I am just following a plan that has me doing these workouts in preperation of my HIM in a month.

My very first post was probably not the perfect advice and I would tone it down if I had a second chance - but I can admit that I am open to persuasive and logical argument and have refined my views.

Or, maybe if I just didn't say anything, I wouldn't have wasted 3 hours of work arguing againts half of the BT pros....
2007-09-14 1:40 PM
in reply to: #965266

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
It's OK.  You shouldn't be afraid of "us".  Only trying to help (and learn as well).  Thanks for the exchange.  Laughing
2007-09-14 1:52 PM
in reply to: #965266

User image

Runner

Aikidoman - 2007-09-14 2:33 PM Or, maybe if I just didn't say anything, I wouldn't have wasted 3 hours of work arguing againts half of the BT pros....

I would have hardly called the time wasted, you know.  I think it's time well-spent, mostly because I think all of us directly involved took something away from the exchange.

2007-09-14 1:56 PM
in reply to: #965319

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Scout7 - 2007-09-14 11:52 AM

Aikidoman - 2007-09-14 2:33 PM Or, maybe if I just didn't say anything, I wouldn't have wasted 3 hours of work arguing againts half of the BT pros....

I would have hardly called the time wasted, you know.  I think it's time well-spent, mostly because I think all of us directly involved took something away from the exchange.

Agreed - that was a VERY tired attempt at humor/sarcasm. I don't have the nice "sarcastic" font to help my case for some reason.

Me: time well spent.
Boss: time wasted.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training: How can I get fast faster ? Rss Feed  

of 3