General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training: How can I get fast faster ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-09-14 2:01 PM
in reply to: #965329

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: HR Training: How can I get fast faster ?
Yeah, I figured.  I'm sure my boss wouldn't be thrilled.  But hey, his fault for not being here today.

2007-09-17 1:20 PM
in reply to: #963560

User image

Veteran
San Jose, CA

Wow , that was a lot of input :-)
Thanks everyone , for their feedback . I found it, as always on BT , incredibly useful reading the replies. Took me a while to assimilate the info. but here are some comments:

gsmacleod - 2007-09-14 4:20 AM IMO, long runs should never be more than 50% of your overall weekly run volume and if possible (for triathletes) under 40%. If you are simply planning on running, I would say that this should be held under 30%.

This is an interesting guidelines ... i've always read the 10% rule but never this , so far. So, in terms of minutes ... lets say I do 4 1-hr runs during the week , then it looks like i shouldn't do more than a 2 hr long run on the w/e . Is this accurate?

If so , then how will I ever train for a marathon under these circumstances or do I have to wait for my pace to improve and hence I can cover more miles in the same amount of time ? I was under the impression that I could do the 10% rule and hence keep increasing the long run distance reasonably and get to marathon training i.e. 18-20 milers .

I would try to build (adding no more than one workout per week, following the 10% rule, etc) to include the following in your weekly run routine: 1 long run (1.5 hours) 1 tempo run (40-50' start with 10' at 10k pace and build to 20') 1 medium run (45' - zone 2) 2 short runs (30' - zone 2 and include strides or accels) That would put you around 4 hours running per week but provide a wider range of paces and training stresses and should help you improve. Hope this helps, Shane

This is an interesting option to mix up my workouts but I was wondering if I could/should do track-intervals or should I just do the tempo runs and strides to start with ?

mbmoran2 - 2007-09-13 3:21 PM
I'm relatively new to running and triathlons (<2 years). I cut my half-marathon time from 1:52 to 1:40 between March and September and never got above 80 miles per month. The majority of my miles from Jan-July were basically Z1/Z2 with the occasional tempo run - similar to you. I've recently started mixing in harder tempo runs, 1mi repeats and 800m intervals. I feel like its helping, but a big reason is for the mental benefits. It's more fun to mix it up than to do the same thing over and over again.

Did you run the baseline halfmary of 1:52 using HR based training . If so, can you give me some details on how long you created your base and such ? I'm curious if you improved significantly with just a couple of months of being consistent with the HR training which would speak volumes abt my natural aerobic base

Donto - 2007-09-13 4:24 PM Take a look at some running training plans, Hal Higdon has a few on his site.

AFAIK , Hal Higdon doesn't have any training plans with the HR training in mind ! I have read and used elements of his plans in the past but pl. let me know if u've found a plan which incorporates HR-based training

vortmax - 2007-09-13 6:29 PM

If you are having problems getting bored on your runs, then you need to find some different routes or some people to run with. If running is really so boring that you can barely stand to run three times a week, then why do it?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post , but my problem is not running , or even running 3-4 x a week , its just plodding on in the same workout style i.e. mindless Z2 runs for 30-60 mins at a time. Now , that I find boring !

If however, the prevailing wisdom (and it seems like it is ) is that , running this manner is the best way to improve , then so be it , I'll probably convince myself to enjoy these type of runs . I'm sure its very personal , but for me , its a lot more fun when I can challenge myself for eg. today , i'll run 4 miles under 40 mins or i'll do 200/400/800 ladder workouit in a certain set time per interval .

2007-09-17 1:34 PM
in reply to: #967840

User image

Runner

Doing 3-4 plodding runs for 30-60 minutes a week will work, but I think I might be misconstruing what you're doing, so bear with me, and it ties in the first point as well.

I don't think you need to just do slow, plodding workouts all the time, with no regard for other stuff.  I would caution against serious interval workouts, but I don't see much need to ALWAYS run in the same HR zone.  Run harder if you feel good.  If not, run slower.  I think that people sometimes develop the mentality where they obsess over the little numbers.  And I think most people would tell you that's not what it's about (OK, I don't know about most, but I know what I would tell you).

As for the 50% rule: I've also seen that, but I know that for many beginner programs, that rule gets violated, especially when it comes to peak mileage time, and incorporating the longer runs.  I think it works better from a mileage basis, too, but that's more of a personal assessment than anything.  And regrading Higdon: I've never seen him do a HR-specific plan, but there is no reason why you can't use his plans.  You just need to read the description of the weekly runs, and where it says "easy pace", that's your Z1-2 running.  Tempo would be harder, probably Z3-4 depending on who you are/the distance/whatever other factors.

Don't worry about staying in a specific zone ALL the time.  It all works out with patience and hard work. 

2007-09-17 1:35 PM
in reply to: #965096

User image

Veteran
San Jose, CA
JohnnyKay - 2007-09-14 10:18 AM

Aikidoman - 2007-09-14 11:53 AM If you are used to doing 30 miles and jump to 100 in one week - you will hurt yourself. And I'm telling you, as a beginner, that is the impression you get when you read most of the responses to questions like this. I think it's a diservice to Beginner Triathletes to give them the simple answer of 5 runs a week and 100+ miles to improve without explaining how to get to those amounts safely.

If a beginner really gets those impressions, they're not paying attention or reading enough. I started here as a complete beginner with NO background in any of the sports. And the message was not hard to get if you paid attention or asked a direct question on the subject. It's still not.

What most people here require is PATIENCE (see my first response in this thread). And I know it's hard when you get going and are filled with excitement for the sport and want to see improvements from your work. It's easy to get caught up in "speed" intervals and aero gear and forget about the really important stuff. I often have trouble taking my own advice.

Reading this debate about how the "more...more" advice is given to a beginner raised an interesting question ... who is a "beginner" ? i.e. what criteria is used to classify one as a beginner .

I don't consider myself a beginner in the typical sense of the word since I have done a few endurance events and while it may not mean much to a lot of you experienced folks ... I have completed a challenging Half-Ironman ... so no I don't think am a beginner . However , on the other hand , I know I have tons to learn but then the learning experience will/should never end

Most beginners , I think get the 10% rule ; I know that was one of the first things I picked up but the challenge I have currently is that while HR-based training has its proponents, there aren't that many plans out there and insufficient guidance for success using its methods . There's a lot of info. on Mike Ricci's site but most of it seems to be geared to the experienced athlete or at least one with an existing aerobic base.

2007-09-17 2:10 PM
in reply to: #967872

User image

Veteran
San Jose, CA
Scout7 - 2007-09-17 11:34 AM

Doing 3-4 plodding runs for 30-60 minutes a week will work, but I think I might be misconstruing what you're doing, so bear with me, and it ties in the first point as well.

I don't think you need to just do slow, plodding workouts all the time, with no regard for other stuff. I would caution against serious interval workouts, but I don't see much need to ALWAYS run in the same HR zone. Run harder if you feel good. If not, run slower. I think that people sometimes develop the mentality where they obsess over the little numbers. And I think most people would tell you that's not what it's about (OK, I don't know about most, but I know what I would tell you).

Yep, thats me Or at least , I've read/been told/realized that the best way to get benefit from HR training is to stay within the zones. Isn't it true that going harder would push you into a diff. zone and then you might even go anaerobic ?

And regrading Higdon: I've never seen him do a HR-specific plan, but there is no reason why you can't use his plans. You just need to read the description of the weekly runs, and where it says "easy pace", that's your Z1-2 running. Tempo would be harder, probably Z3-4 depending on who you are/the distance/whatever other factors.

Don't worry about staying in a specific zone ALL the time. It all works out with patience and hard work.

Its interesting you say this since what most people seem to to say about HR training , talk about staying in the "appropriate" zone to get your aerobic base . This sounds like an interesting option for at least 1x a week i.e. just run on your own pace .

Don't get me wrong , I like the HR training . I think it has given me a lot more structure and ease of training . I don't feel burnt after my long runs . Its just that I don't have a lot more training time I can put in so i want to ensure that i can optimize what I'm doing and get the max. benefit of my training .

While I know I'm not going to be BQ'ing anytime soon , but I'd like to get to have a consistent 10:00 pace . However, it seems like with HR training, one just has to put in the miles and hope for the best

2007-09-17 2:15 PM
in reply to: #963560

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Not that it really matters, but here is what works for me, and is based loosely on Pfitzinger-Douglas' training philosophies (in workouts per week):

One Long run - 15 - 20 miles

One - General aerobic - 8 - 12 miles

One - Tempo/stride - 8 - 12 miles with tempo being anywhere from 4 - 7 miles at 1/2 mary. pace.  Strides would be about 1 per mile at a bit over 5k pace with fast turnover.  (Workout is replaced with track/speed work as race gets closer - which means starting this week for IMFL for me .... ugh!!).

Two - recovery runs - 3 - 6 miles easy (usually include one as a brick for my long ride).

Typically in the 30 - 45 mile per week range.  And few people have ever accused me of being slow at any distance .....

(I'm also working off of almost 4,000 miles running in the last 3 years - heck of a base - but still trying to improve).

2007-09-17 2:55 PM
in reply to: #967958

User image

Runner

I think there's more to it than just putting in the miles and hoping for the best.  But I know what you mean.

I posted something along these lines in another thread earlier today.  Basically, it doesn't matter if you use HR, RPE, pace, some esoteric method, of figuring out your training.  People make this waaaaay to complex.  Here's the basics of it:

On easy days, run easy.  On hard days, run hard.

Ohhhhmmmmmm.......  No go forth and run, grasshopper.

Seriously, though, that's the basics of it.  There are many ways to determine "easy", and "hard", and there are various ways of incorporating "hard" training into your schedule.  For me, a harder day would be somewhat shorter and at a fast pace, or a longer distance at a more moderate pace.

I know I can get wrapped up in my pacing.  So I try not to focus on it.  Sometimes it works....

A lot of it depends on your goals, and your current standing.  Like you've said, you're not quite a "beginner", you've done a number of events, you've been training for a while.  So, with that bit of advice, I'd say that you need to reevaluate your current training methods.  I would say in your case, there's a place for the easy runs, and they'll be a majority of it.  Winter time is a good time to focus on that stuff for most triathletes.  Come race-specific training, I'd start throwing in more intense workouts.  Throw in some speed stuff, some hills, etc.

And remember, if you can take the time to sit there and figure out what zone is what, you can take ANY training plan, and adopt it to your needs.  Most plans will say "easy" "tempo" "hard" "whatever".  Correlate those to a specific zone, and there ya have it. 

2007-09-17 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
sachinh - 2007-09-17 3:20 PM
gsmacleod - 2007-09-14 4:20 AM IMO, long runs should never be more than 50% of your overall weekly run volume and if possible (for triathletes) under 40%. If you are simply planning on running, I would say that this should be held under 30%.

This is an interesting guidelines ... i've always read the 10% rule but never this , so far. So, in terms of minutes ... lets say I do 4 1-hr runs during the week , then it looks like i shouldn't do more than a 2 hr long run on the w/e . Is this accurate?

If so , then how will I ever train for a marathon under these circumstances or do I have to wait for my pace to improve and hence I can cover more miles in the same amount of time ? I was under the impression that I could do the 10% rule and hence keep increasing the long run distance reasonably and get to marathon training i.e. 18-20 milers .

Not quite - the long run is included in your overall run volume so, in your example there is six hours of running which would between 1.8-3 hours.

As for training for a marathon, I wouldn't recommend running more than 2.5-3 hours (depending on the athlete) for a long run. Also, while training for a marathon, your long run will gradually take more of your overall run volume but should still be under 50%. I believe that it is better to build run volume through frequency rather than one massive session that requires more recovery than two shorter sessions.

I would try to build (adding no more than one workout per week, following the 10% rule, etc) to include the following in your weekly run routine: 1 long run (1.5 hours) 1 tempo run (40-50' start with 10' at 10k pace and build to 20') 1 medium run (45' - zone 2) 2 short runs (30' - zone 2 and include strides or accels) That would put you around 4 hours running per week but provide a wider range of paces and training stresses and should help you improve. Hope this helps, Shane

This is an interesting option to mix up my workouts but I was wondering if I could/should do track-intervals or should I just do the tempo runs and strides to start with ?

The track sessions (as most people think of them) are really only useful for the last few weeks leading up to a race. Strides and tempo runs can help you improve throughout the year as they are training your body in a different way. I would start with tempo runs and strides; this should be sufficent for you to start to see improved speed and then possibly consider adding traditional speedwork six-eight weeks out from an 'A' race.

Shane
2007-09-17 6:53 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
sachinh - 2007-09-17 12:20 PM

vortmax - 2007-09-13 6:29 PM

If you are having problems getting bored on your runs, then you need to find some different routes or some people to run with. If running is really so boring that you can barely stand to run three times a week, then why do it?

Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post , but my problem is not running , or even running 3-4 x a week , its just plodding on in the same workout style i.e. mindless Z2 runs for 30-60 mins at a time. Now , that I find boring !

That's why you need to find a group or some nice trails to run.  60 minutes goes by so fast you won't even notice it if you are engulfed in conversation, or running through a really pretty area where you get lost in the scenery.   Keeping the lower HR makes this all the more enjoyable as you can actually hold a conversation, or be relaxed enough to look around.  Those 'mindless' z2 runs (especially the 90+ min ones) are where I do my best thinking.  Gives me a chance to relax and be lost in thought

Edited by vortmax 2007-09-17 6:54 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Training: How can I get fast faster ? Rss Feed  

of 3