General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 4s
Overall Rank = 1946/11629
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 276/978
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:45 and got dressed, hit the gas station and hit the road. Ate a Bannana and had a White Tea on the ride. Found a Parking Spot after a lap on Market Street. Headed over to the start with a good group and got to the start at about 7:00am. Got in line for the porta potties and waited for about 30 min and by the time I got out it was time to get in the corral and start.
Event warmup:

Long walk from the garage to the start and a short panicy jog to the corral just in time for the moment of silence and national anthem.
Run
  • 1h 42m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

A very cool morning 46 when I left was 50 when I reached Philly. Wore my Disney Marathon long Sleeve wicking T-shirt. Given my lack of warm up and the mass of humanity at the start I took it really easy for the first mile, no weaving through traffic just stay clean until things started spacing out. Did the first mile in 8:00, got into a little groove and started taking the corners a bit more agressively and passing people. Picked up the pace to 7:30 the 2nd mile. Went thru 5k at a 7:47 pace and finished off the downtown loop in good shape running easy. Passed by LoganCircle and the Art mueseum and down to Martin Luther King dr alongside the river. At this point I started to stretch it out and cruise. Went to the side and started working forward and passing alot of people who had passed me in the early portions. Hit the 10K at 47:54 (7:43 pace) and felt it was ok to start to push a little. This was a fun stretch down the banks of the river and lots of shade and the bands. Hit every aid station (except the last one) got water at the first two and accelerade at the rest). Worked over the little hill leading up to the bridge crossing over to Kelley drive and the homeward leg. Really started pushing the pace and did good thru mile 10 1:17:04 (7:43 pace). The last 5K was a bit harder. 24:54 but with those hills I just couldn't recapture the nice flow I had. I went thru 20K at 1:36:34 so 48:40 the 2nd 10K, but the last 1000 meters were rotten 5:34. It was like I finished at 20 K, lost focus completely. The last hill didn't help. They changed the finish so you had a final sprint the last .1 mile headed straight at the Art Museum Steps to the finish. It was really cool. Very good race.
What would you do differently?:

With my toe and ankle/shins bottering me leading up to this, I ran pretty conservative until I was confident I was OK. Very steady race but I didn't finish it off. Oh well, still got my post 14 year lay off PR by 41 sec and best PDR time by about 4 min.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked my toe pain off and hit the Art museum steps and did the Rocky thing (as many others did-you really can't help it) Then I walked back could find the food and walked back to the parking garage. Had my ticket get eaten my the machine and had to wait over 40 minute for someone to show up and let my out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Trained thru this race and did over 2 hours on the bike and this wasn't a total race effort, but it worked out pretty well. Only Kona could religate this race to a 'C' race.

Event comments:

Great race, just seems to be getting better. Philly puts on a great show. Only thing was they didn't have any directions to the food and there were so many people, I ended up skipping it. Cool shirt and medal this year.

Last updated: 2007-07-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:04 | 13.1 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 276/978
Overall: 1948/11629
Performance: Good
Course: Starts at the Philly Art Museum, heads up the Ben Franklin Parkway, around city hall, down Market Street to Penn's Landing, back to the Ben Franklin, and then a long up and back along both sides of the Schuylkill River (Fairmount Park, Kelly Drive, Boathouse Row, Etc) and finishing back at the Art Museum.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-16 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run

2007-09-16 8:14 PM
in reply to: #966892

Veteran
Philadelphia
Subject: RE: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run
Thanks for the kind words! You totally crushed that course, way to go.

As per the marathon...as crazy as it sounds, I did think about it today and the posibility of doing it. I think my engine and mentaly I would be ready for it, but my knees still need time to get used to the beating of running that far. Next year though, I'm in!

Good luck at Kona, I'll def be watching you! If you don't mind me asking, how did you get in? Qualify or lottery?? I'm gonna start shooting for it any way possible as of next year.
2007-09-16 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Kona Lottery- I'm very lucky not very good.
2007-09-16 9:41 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Congratulations on a great race!

Now, I'll confess that I've been living within 1.2 miles of the Art Museum for over 3 months now and have YET to run up the stairs Rocky-style.  You go. 

2007-09-16 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Great race, I can only dream of running a half that fast.
2007-09-18 4:56 AM

User image

Williamstown, NJ
Congrats on your PDR-PR! I think all the Hammer products (gel, endurolytes, Heed) helped me keep my splits low in the final miles, even though my legs and HR were saying "Slow it down!". This was my first race with Hammer, and first race over 10 miles, but I think it definitely helped. My buddy wanted to do the Rocky thing with me too, but I think I would've hurt myself!

-joe i.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed