View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aurora, Colorado
United States
Total Time = 1h 45m 44s
Overall Rank = 99/191
Age Group = Female 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

I wanted this race to be on Saturday. I was like a kid on expresso Saturday. I had all this energy that I didn't know what to do with. Couldn't sleep Saturday night. I got up Sunday morning and didn't have the same kind of energy. That's how it goes with these things. You never know and you take what you get. Two soft boiled eggs, canteloupe, a toasted bagel and out the door.

Perfect weather. We couldn't have custom ordered a nicer day.
Swim
  • 21m 40s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did some warm-up laps and was oh so happy when they finally let us start because the water was COLD and I wanted this part done. The swim seemed never ending today. It felt longer than the olympic I did last month. I'm anxious to read other reports to see if anyone else questioned the distance. I started at the back of my wave in hopes of not getting my usual kick to the head. Wouldn't you know I got right behind someone doing the breast stroke and throwing their legs out like a frog. I finally had to slow down and ease into the swimmers on my left so I could get around the flailing obstacles and make some progress. We had the sun in our face going out so sighting was a struggle. It made the turn around even sweeter.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I totally SUCK at transitions. I'm very methodical and I just need to get my BUTT in gear and MOVE IT. It's an uphill jog from the swim beach and there was a nice grassy area so I decided to stop and shed my wetsuit before hitting the "hurts my sissy girl tender feet" transition area. I guess I got spoiled by the strippers at the last race because I had to wrestle that wetsuit like an alligator to get it off today. Just doing my part to keep the spectators entertained. And the whole ridiculous episode was counting as swim time instead of transition time. Oooops. We all know what I will do differently next time.
Bike
  • 48m 51s
  • 12.9 miles
  • 15.84 mile/hr
Comments:

The RD discovered there was road construction on the course and his options were to find another route or cancel. Kudos to him for coming up with an alternate course in such a short amount of time. But YIKES! It was crazy. There were 5 hairpin turnarounds on the 12.9 mile ride. Just as we'd get our speed up we'd have to slow down to a snail's pace to safely make the U-Turn and then work our little hearts out to gain it back. Absolutely crazy. The climbs and descents were more gradual than the rolling hills we were expecting. I'm not sure which I like better. Anyway you slice it, it's still a hill. So, like everyone else, I did the best I could.

My other races have had start times between 7:00-7:30 but this one didn't get moving until 9:00 AM. My big breakfast was history by the time I hit the bike and I was needing to get some calories in. I washed down a GU with water and then started on the Gatorade Endurance. It must have worked because my second loop on the course was faster than my first.
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I was determined not to pull out my pillow and nap this time and was feeling quite proud of myself until I tried to tie my shoes. One tied fine and then my fingers turned to noodles and I couldn't get the second one tied for the life of me. Yes, Kelly dear, you are right. I must learn to pre-tie my shoes or get those magic laces to prevent this little dilemma in the future! So, yeah, we know what I would do differently here too.
Run
  • 30m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

There's a really nice paved bike path that winds all the way around the reservoir and the website said this is what we'd be running on. Ummmm. NO. The HIM folks had that all to themselves. The sprinters got a hilly dirt gravel trail that looked like it was made for ATV's. A few times I was afraid my foot was going to roll right down with the loose gravel rocks but I managed to stay upright and moving the whole time. I ran into my friend, Dara, who wanted to know what the heck happened back in T2 because she came in after me and hit the run before me. Showoff.
Post race
Warm down:

Water. Muffins. We hung out for the awards.

Event comments:

Today I was very aware of the big black bold "56" on the back of my calf. I got passed by a lot of 20-30-40 somethings. I really should have started this whole racing thing when I was younger. I did pass a few 40 somethings on the run though. I loved that they had to stare at that big black bold "56" as I left them in the dust. Well, not too much dust, but a little.

Fun race. I saw a lot of friends on the course that I've met during the season. Great raffle prizes. I didn't win any but they were good for the people who did. I did get first in my AG. I didn't feel like I really earned it because I was the only one in my age group but if all the other old broads want to sleep in then I win the prize!

This brings to a close my very first triathlon season. Great fun. Hard work. I have a training plan for the off season so let me just say (in my best Arnold imitation) ... I'LL BE BACK!

Last updated: 2007-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:40 | 750 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 113/191
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Out-and-back swim in the Aurora Reservoir, starting and finishing on the sandy beach to the left of the pavilion.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:51 | 12.9 miles | 15.84 mile/hr
Overall: 108/191
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Two loop course going out the main entrance to the rservoir, a little dog leg, then down to Quincy and back to the TA.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:55 | 03.11 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Overall: 91/191
Performance:
Course: The 5K (3.1 mile) run course is an out-and-back route on the west side of the reservoir. The run leaves the back corner of the upper parking lot and ravels to a turn-around point, then returns via the same route to finish near the pavilion at Aurora Reservoir swim beach.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 7:48 AM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

2007-09-17 10:41 AM
in reply to: #967247

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: RE: Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon

rmarzano - 2007-09-17 8:48 AM 

I did get first in my AG. I didn't feel like I really earned it because I was the only one in my age group but if all the other old broads want to sleep in then I win the prize!

You're so cool....

Great race this weekend.  You really crack me up with all your digs on your performance when you were really tearing up the course out there!  You did awesome.  And I totally recommend the elastic laces, they're great for transition but they were also awesome for camping (in and out of the tent a million times and still taught!). 

Anyway, congrats on a fabulous season- you should be very proud of yourself!!

2007-09-17 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Hey first in AG is first in AG any way you look at it!  the award will look pretty awesome in your house   Congrats!  Great race!
2007-09-17 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo

^^What Cathy said!  Congrats on your win!  

That course sounds crazy!  Wow!  Especially all the crazy hairpins on the bike.  Sheesh.  At least they were still able to have it and you got a break from the big freakin hills of death!

2007-09-17 6:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You are so cool!!

You'd be passing me on the run

Nice race all around...lots of adjusting and tough bike course...but it does sound fun, but very safe to go super fast though.

I love your enthusiasm for sport and challenging yourself!

Becky you rock!!!!

2007-09-18 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Great job Mom. With all those unexpected changes and obstacles, you really did awesome. And don't knock those transition times too much. You're already kicking my butt in T1 (talk about pulling out a pillow and taking a nap, one would think I pulled out my blowdryer to fix my hair too) and your T2 will be easy to speed up after a couple more races.

You did an awesome job. I'm so proud of you for this race and for your whole first season. Congratulations on such a kick butt debut.

2007-09-18 8:51 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Nice Race and way to finish the season strong!

As for "get those magic laces"  - DO  They are worth the investment.

and the  "The HIM folks had that all to themselves."  No we didn't, we ran the same course as you and didn't hit the bike trails til after your turnaround .  That was a little tough on the feet with all the little rocks. 

Have a great winter and come back stronger and quicker next year.   

2007-09-18 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Awesome job!
2007-09-18 5:29 PM

User image

Master
Denver
It was nice to meet you. Great way to finish out the season - by taking first!
2007-09-19 6:24 AM

Becky - you should be *SO* proud of that big, black, bold 56! I hope to one day have one of my own...and a 66 and a 76....etc...

What an awesome and awe-inspiring first season. It has been pure joy to watch your triumphs through your blog and I am already anxious for what you bring to the BT community in the training off-season and your kick-arse second tri-season!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crescent Moon Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed